Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relax...dont do it?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I need to take my own advice on this one!

My stress reduction and relaxation class (yes, I took such a class) covered a number of ways to bring relaxation into your life.
Tai chi, meditation, etc....
Most of them deal with breathing. I don't do this stuff nearly as often as I should, but deep breathing exercises can help, and if you get in the habit, it can have lasting effects.
It sounds weird, but when taking a deep breath, breathe in through your nose, imagining that you are filling your belly with air first, and then filling your lungs as fully as possible. Then hold it for a second or two and slowly let it out through your mouth. It's supposed to help you take in more oxygen. You could stop and do this a few times per hour.

Personally, having my hands in the dirt is the most soothing to me. I love to garden in the evening and I enjoy digging in the mud. Some studies have shown that contact with nature can help; even just looking out the window at trees. The book "Last Child in the Woods" covers it, though more from a parent's perspective. Interesting studies though.

Other than that, I have personal rituals of relaxation. Once I start getting ready for bed, I turn off the TV and computer and avoid interuptions. I like a hot bath with soothing music, warm milk with honey (if I've been having trouble sleeping), and prayers right before going to sleep.
But that's me.....

I wish you well in seeking relaxation.
I need to be following my own advice!!! :eek:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think it can depend on the reason for your tension, and on the individual. Sometimes a stressful situation needs to be resolved, sometimes you just need more sleep. Sometimes there is something nagging you that needs to get done, but you don't want to do it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
Personally, having my hands in the dirt is the most soothing to me. I love to garden in the evening and I enjoy digging in the mud. Some studies have shown that contact with nature can help; even just looking out the window at trees.

:eek:fftopic:

I like to garden, too. I have a book on growing roses that's just for the Denver area.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Sit quietly around nature. The birds chirping, the wind blowing, and just focus in on each natural sound. No other one can interrupt. Go to a park.
It's hassle-free.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
A book
An old movie, with all the lights out
An old magazine
A complete self-beauty routine
A bottle of beer
Watching something mind-numbingly stupid on TV that you normally wouldn't watch and laugh at it!

These are my techniques. They work for me every time.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I knit. I tend to have a lot of energy I don't really know what to do with so sitting and relaxing to a movie while I'm still releasing energy with my hands seems to be very therapeutic (sp). If you don't know how, just learn the basic stitch and make a plain scarf. I promise it will relax you!

http://www.knittinghelp.com

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Paisley said:
:eek:fftopic:

I like to garden, too. I have a book on growing roses that's just for the Denver area.

More:eek:fftopic:
Oh neat!
I haven't actually had more than flowerpots to dig in since I got to this state. Hopefully, that will soon change. A friend of mine suggested the yearly Denver Botanical Garden sale for heirloom roses and lilacs from the area. When I have the place for them, maybe we should go shopping!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Even more relaxing, if not downright Zen ...

A closed book.
An old movie with the power out.
A magazine in its shrink wrapper.
A sealed bottle of beer.
Watching the screen of a turned-off TV.

Nothing clever for the beauty routine??? ;)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
sometimes when i'm stressed i make a huge list of everything that i need to get done. then i can relax knowing that i won't forget any of it. knitting helps me too... as long as i'm not working on a project involving a lot of counting and thinking!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a very set routine that I try to follow -- I work nights, so when I get home it's very difficult for me to just knock off and go to bed without a bit of relaxation ritual. So --

1. Set my hair. It takes me exactly seven minutes to pincurl my whole head, and I force myself to concentrate on just that while I'm doing it, with no dwelling on the worries or fears of the day.

2. Wash up. Do the Pond's routine, scrub with a good clean towel, brush teeth, etc. If I'm really stressed out I may take a quick, very hot shower.

3. If there's a ball game on the radio, tune it in. Get into bed with a good book. My cat takes this as a signal that it's cuddle time, and she'll jump up next to me and curl up in the crook of my left arm while I read.

4. Continue reading for half an hour, or until I've forgotten, at least for a moment, whatever it was I've been worrying about.

5. If stress is really intense, as it often is, a good stiff drink can beneficially precede the above steps. Or even a cup of warm Ovaltine, if you prefer.

And that usually does it. In fact, it's just about time for me to begin the routine right now....

PS -- Marc needs a pedicure. Raven Red, perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari