Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relax...dont do it?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
OK...

Opted for...(and in this order)

1. Not actually doing work tonight, despite needing to...shall have to work double fast tomorrow

2. Tidying the livingroom up so it resembles a human inhabitable space again

3. Wine and a hot bath. (No, I didn't drown or fall asleep)

I might feel better...can't tell yet.

D...who wants it to be the weekend already

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Melatonin does the trick for me. Sold over the counter in the US. I travel on business frequently changing time zones and melatonin helps fall asleep when I need to. The time release is the best.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I'm infamous for being able to fall asleep on a whim, so I generally don't need wind down time. Just for a day of relaxing, play some guitar, read, hobby type stuff. Shooting, camping, and picture taking!:D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Side note:

The problem here is not one of sleeping...I can sleep. Thats probably the only time I am close to relaxing lately.

Maybe its just that work is bad lately.....hopefully should ease up by tomorrow.

Add that to my generally overthoughtful nature and its just brain-wont-stop syndrome.

Rafter

Suspended
ferryengr said:
Melatonin does the trick for me. Sold over the counter in the US. I travel on business frequently changing time zones and melatonin helps fall asleep when I need to. The time release is the best.

I don't believe in herbal remedies. I had a bad reaction to St. John's Wart.

I relax by-
smoking a cigar,
drinking a glass of wine,
listening to jazz,
eating an extra dark Hershey's chocolate bar,
"responding to threads on the FL",
and Yoga...... which relaxes and slows the pace of my breathing and calms the pace of my mind after a long day of stress and anxiety.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Ah, dark chocolate!
A man after my own heart! (And many others here I suspect!!)

And there's the deep breathing in the yoga!
I tell ya, we just don't get enough air! At least I don't, here at a mile up! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
More:eek:fftopic:
Oh neat!
I haven't actually had more than flowerpots to dig in since I got to this state. Hopefully, that will soon change. A friend of mine suggested the yearly Denver Botanical Garden sale for heirloom roses and lilacs from the area. When I have the place for them, maybe we should go shopping!!

:eek:fftopic: :arated:

Sounds delightful! Best time to plant is mid-May.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Three step method to feel relaxed ...

1) Picture in your mind a quiet, remote, location far from civilization.

2) Picture a calm, crystal-clear pool of water.

3) Picture that worthless scum suckin' sob that's causing the stress in your life floating face down in that pool.

Now, don't you feel relaxed? :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Lucy June said:
I knit. I tend to have a lot of energy I don't really know what to do with so sitting and relaxing to a movie while I'm still releasing energy with my hands seems to be very therapeutic (sp).

This is my secret for relaxing as well. I too have a hard time just sitting down and relaxing and get very restless. The knitting seems to focus the energy so I can sit down and watch tv or listen to music or whatever else.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
ferryengr said:

Just don't take melatonin and then drink! I found that one out the hard way. lol

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Study the martial art of Tai Chi Chuan. Slow moving and meditative, it's goal is to help you relax. Studies show those who practice it relax easier and sleep longer, and better, than those who don't. I can concur with the findings.

Find yourself a teacher though - don't try to learn it just from videos.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not recommended for everybody, but I medicate myself:D A small dose of valium (atavan/lorazapam) does the trick for me...
I actually started taking an anti-depressant, not because of depression, but for part of my pain management regiment. I take pain control drugs, but I've been on them for so long that they started to lose their efficacy. New studies show that anti-depressants as well as anti-psychotics(I'm not taking these) work on the receptors in your brain that transmit pain. I started taking Celexa, a very innoccuous drug, about a month ago. My pain is so much better controlled, and as a side effect, I'm incredibly happy!! I didn't realize that I might not have been that happy until I started taking the Celexa. I know, it's an artificial happiness, but I'm so much more relaxed and less stressed, as well as being in less pain. I'm even taking less percocet and oxycontin than I was taking before I went on it, which is definitely a plus because I'm not zonked out all the time.

Some people meditate, some go for long walks, some people do Yoga. I was taking a small dose of valium in the evening to relax, it worked. But now, a drug that I use to help me with one thing actually has the positive side effect of relieving my stress too. I don't think I've ever taking a drug that has a positive side effect before!! Things just seem much better. Again, not for everyone, but it really has made a big difference.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
Not recommended for everybody, but I medicate myself:D A small dose of valium (atavan/lorazapam) does the trick for me...
I actually started taking an anti-depressant, not because of depression, but for part of my pain management regiment. I take pain control drugs, but I've been on them for so long that they started to lose their efficacy. New studies show that anti-depressants as well as anti-psychotics(I'm not taking these) work on the receptors in your brain that transmit pain.

Yea, my mom is on anti-depressants as part of pain management as well....although I don't think they have found the -right- AD for her yet.....Glad yours seem to help Daisy....since the whole chronic pain thing sucks big time (granted, I only know this by proxy...but still)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
1) Picture in your mind a quiet, remote, location far from civilization.

2) Picture a calm, crystal-clear pool of water.

3) Picture that worthless scum suckin' sob that's causing the stress in your life floating face down in that pool.

Now, don't you feel relaxed? :)

Hmnmmm since some of this was caused by myself messing some stuff up.....

hmmm.....

Of course...I am no more relaxed today...and I slept on my shoulder wrong...so ouchies too.

Haversack

One Too Many
Another specific I have found for removing stress and encouraging mental, emotional, and physical peace is the cliche'd "walking along the ocean shore". The combination of the sounds of the waves and water, the physical excersize, breathing the very fresh and clean air, and the infinite visual variety all put me into a very relaxed and contented frame of mind. Because I don't do it all that often, the effect is greater when I do. Still, this is a variation on what people here have already recommend: excersize and breathing.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari