Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relax...dont do it?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean. I have to work hard, and I have a tightly wound personality. A few things I've found helpful, though:

Hard physical exercise (but not right before bedtime). This has been shown to help with depression as well as relaxation.
Turn down the lights and play some soft music for an hour before bed to help you sleep.
Avoid murder-and-mayhem TV shows or movies during the evening (also to help you sleep).
Have a cup of herbal tea.
Eat something that tastes wonderful. Not just good, but extraordinarily wonderful (I like the apple crostata at Maggiano's).
Pet a dog or cat. I've heard that if doctors could put the effects of petting a dog into a pill, it would be a gold mine.
Get a massage.

I hope you find some of these things helpful.

Well, my usual technique is to just go with it, throwing myself into some project or study with a maximum effort until I burn out, am so exhausted that just keeping my eyes open is a major effort. (I actually keep a number of projects and my laptop at bedside for this very purpose...:eek: )

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Resting on the Sabbath

I'm not a religious person, but I observe the Sabbath. Strictly observing it means not using electricity, not writing, not planting, not carrying anything (not even keys), not lighting a fire ... so what do you do?

All the problems you've been avoiding come up. This is the day to get them resolved in your mind. But the good thing is that those problems get resolved early (if you practice this every week) instead of being allowed to grow worse.

I find myself so exhausted by Sunday that I sleep for three, four or five hours in the afternoon. When I'm not napping, I'm eating, reading, playing with the dog, or looking out the window. I've been resting every Sunday since 2000 and I like it very much. I think that resting on Sunday allows me to work hard and stay up late during the rest of the week. It's something that's been lost from earlier generations.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I know what you mean. I have to work hard, and I have a tightly wound personality. A few things I've found helpful, though:

Hard physical exercise (but not right before bedtime). This has been shown to help with depression as well as relaxation.
Turn down the lights and play some soft music for an hour before bed to help you sleep.
Avoid murder-and-mayhem TV shows or movies during the evening (also to help you sleep).
Have a cup of herbal tea.
Eat something that tastes wonderful. Not just good, but extraordinarily wonderful (I like the apple crostata at Maggiano's).
Pet a dog or cat. I've heard that if doctors could put the effects of petting a dog into a pill, it would be a gold mine.
Get a massage.

I hope you find some of these things helpful.

Indeed...might try the gym on the way home...I havent been in a while...and its one of the great free perks of working for Superglobalhypermega Corp.

Well that and the free insurance so that when I hurt myself working out, I can go to the dr. lol

Haversack

One Too Many
Sleep is usually my best way to restore/relax/recover. However, when in the midst of the final stage of a project where I am working 12 hour days, I sometimes am unable to fall asleep because I can't get my brain to power down. In those cases, the best thing I've found for convincing the brain and body to settle down is having done some physical excersize sometime during the day. Ideally, doing some activity such as chopping wood, rowing a boat, or digging post holes rather than mindless calesthenics. However, even taking a 1/2 hour walk can work well. For some reason, excersize puts me back into balance when the mind has been over-taxed. Other techniques that work for others are yoga and prayer. Also, having an evening ritual that one regularly performs just before going to bed to fall asleep is a usefull habit to cultivate.

Besides sleep, sharing food, drink, & conversation at table with friends is not only relaxing, it is one of my favourite ways to be social. I hope this is of some use.

Haversack.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
No, the left foot looks like it's been stung by a very angry Brazilian bee in Buzios -- and it's true.

ahhh yes...I had the top of my foot stung by a bee in Brazil as well.....

except I am allergic...so mine was about 5 times bigger within a few hours...

and they dont sell Benadryl in tablet form there....So I had to go to a pharmacy and ask for kids cough syrup....and explain -why-.....all in my best portuguese...

Kimberly

Practically Family
I am with you on that. I am fairly hyper and will sometimes go through spurts where I have a lot of energy and get things done only to crash and need to sleep 7 hours vs. my normal 5 to 6 hours.

Balance is the key and I wind down by reading, watching old movies and doing light housework. I also like to come here to unwind and relax, but wish I could do it more often. Between work and stuff around the house, I find myself with less time for the fun stuff. :rolleyes:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I ususally drink a

sidecar.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari