Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relax...dont do it?

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Good relaxation trick: Cooking. I work with my head, so after a long, stressfull day I need some help to unwind my thought. (I can't just "turn off" the work going on in my head.) Cooking dinner does that. I have to use my brain on something else, ( I like to experiment, or cook something not to simple,) but it doesn't take too hard thinking either. And then, eating dinner with a glass of wine takes what ever stress is left.

For the really stressed out days, baking bread is the thing! It is physchical, and really giving it to the dough has is a good outlet for rage, anger and stress!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Chickpea said:
You´ve been to my site? It has an english section- not as detailed in descriptions like the norwegain part, but still functioning.
So, did you find anything you like? lol
Yes, I noticed. Very nice stuff, but I don't have any babies to lug around. But good luck with your business!

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
Questions

Miss Neecerie said:
I currently find myself unable to relax. I work too much, am restless even when not working, etc.

So I need ideas about how folks relax...or force themselves to do so....

help?!

Why do you think you can't relax? is it all work related? is it relationship related? is it location related? Do you know?

Find out that first and then you can start to figure out what to do to make you feel more relaxed. But my guess is that you already know deep down what would work, you just won't do it for some reason. Begin asking why you can't or won't sleep and go from there.

I was going through something very similar last year and after trying things in reality I knew wouldnt help, I realized that it was because I hadn't taken any "real time" for myself in over 18 years. A few minutes or hours here and there just didn't do it. Ended up taking 3 weeks off with just my oldest traveling around. Although it wasn't the same as doing it alone, it worked wonders.

Anthony

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I go to get a pedicure. The place I go to has these chairs that massage your back. When I finished there yesterday, all my back knots were rubbed out and I was very relaxed and sleepy.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Huh...resting on Sunday. That sounds like a good idea. I'm not a religious person either but there certainly is some weight to that idea, thinks I.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
As some one hyper active with a high stress Major/Job. I have learned to discipline myself enough to sit in silence. No Tv, no music, no nothing. I'm not really sitting in one place. Like i said im super hyper active and its really hard for me to settle so I started off with 5 mins. and now i can be in silence for an hour. Its a bit hard at first to be stuck in silence with your thoughts but after a while you really get alot of clarity. What I also do is, play music. I'm a musician so playing music really focuses my attention and music really evokes someting within you. So if in doubt pop in Mozart or Chopin and do absolutely nothing.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Cooking.. Yes

I agree.. Cooking in the evening works for me. Our kitchen and living room are really the same room, so Sandy and chat while I cook. It really helps the "unwinding", of course there's beer, conversation, TV in the background, etc.. Ron

Helen Troy said:
Good relaxation trick: Cooking. I work with my head, so after a long, stressfull day I need some help to unwind my thought. (I can't just "turn off" the work going on in my head.) Cooking dinner does that. I have to use my brain on something else, ( I like to experiment, or cook something not to simple,) but it doesn't take too hard thinking either. And then, eating dinner with a glass of wine takes what ever stress is left.

For the really stressed out days, baking bread is the thing! It is physchical, and really giving it to the dough has is a good outlet for rage, anger and stress!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Noise / activity / business stresses me out.

I work in web design, and also as an aircraft mechanic with the USAF. These are NOT laid back jobs.

When I come home, there is no TV, no computer, and I rarely answer the phone and instead screen my calls. Why? No, I'm not on some 'vintage lifestyle' kick, which even my closest friends think I'm doing and taking my tastes to the extremes(I've suffered no end of teasing and misinformed stereotyping). I DON'T LIKE NOISE. TV is noise, phones ringing are noise, computers are noise, people running, rushing around like the proverbial chickens with their heads cut off are noise.

Your home is an inner sanctum. It should be quiet, where you come to shut off after a long day of working so that you may live(instead of living to work!). Leave the noise outside, or at the office.

Books and music, a cup of tea, cider or at this time of year, eggnog, is how I vent steam. Occasionally I'll get a project to work on, such as the bedside table needing a full stripping and restoration that I picked up yesterday for $7. When it's sunny and warm, my car gets attention.

Modern lifestyles do not allow people to slow down. You must force yourself to shut off. We assign far too much importance as a society to DOING and not BEING.

pgoat

One Too Many
1. Excercise

2. More excercise

3. fun excercise (ahem....)

4. soothing music (headphones help)

5. lay outside in the sun, even if only for 10-15 mins.

6. If all else fails, the 3 Vs (Valerian, Valium or Vicodin - in that order)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
So, are you relaxing yet? If not, try acupressure. It's really relieved some of my TMJ pain and helped me feel better in general. You can do it yourself.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
So, are you relaxing yet? If not, try acupressure. It's really relieved some of my TMJ pain and helped me feel better in general. You can do it yourself.

Alas...not really relaxed right now......as I am in the endless hellish loop that is Myspace customer service..its been two weeks of providing them with info...having them respond that they need the info i just provided.....so i provide it again.....only to have them respond that they need this info.........
:rage:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Is there any way you can look at this as a comedy of errors? It reminds me of a Marx Brothers movie.

I am trying...I just figure they either employ -no one- and their goal is to have auto replies wear you down.....

or they employ the un-reading...got home last night to another 'if you will send us this info it will be processed' note...nevermind that the info they wanted...was right below their note... ;)

If there wasnt an email address I need out of there....I would stop trying....

Perhaps it's time for an escalation:

"Have any of you even bothered to actually READ my email before responding? If you had, you'd see that the information you require is already in the email you're responding too."

This is part of why I don't play with MySpace or anything like it--the people who need to reach me have my email address already, or an alternate means of contact such as PM.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Today has been a dreadful dreadful day.

All my reports have wrong data...for no apparent reason and for no fault of mine. I -hate- inconsistent data.....

Does not mean I do not get to fix it all by magic wand....luckily I do seem to have one of these....

But am now so exhausted and tired of work, that I thought I would yet again entertain ideas for relaxing things to do when I finally leave the offices of SuperGlobalHyperMegaCorp this afternoon.

Please note...these must not involve shopping. I am grounded from shopping. :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Today has been a dreadful dreadful day.

All my reports have wrong data...for no apparent reason and for no fault of mine. I -hate- inconsistent data.....

Does not mean I do not get to fix it all by magic wand....luckily I do seem to have one of these....

But am now so exhausted and tired of work, that I thought I would yet again entertain ideas for relaxing things to do when I finally leave the offices of SuperGlobalHyperMegaCorp this afternoon.

Please note...these must not involve shopping. I am grounded from shopping. :eek:

Go to the library. Seriously. It's calm, it's tranquil, there's always something good to read, you don't have to stare into some flickering monitor screen to enjoy it, and best of all -- it's free. Always one of my favorite spots to escape from work-related-stress.

Well... there's always my way--for some, hitting the firing-line and punching holes in a paper downrange works to blow off steam.

Quake III used to work really well during my college days, too... or if you're an old-school geek, there's always LDRAW (a virtual-Lego CAD program).

Punching bag, maybe? (Where's the old-school WHAM-IT when ya need it?) Paintball? Golf? Tennis?

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Battle Of Endor III
via FoxyTunes

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
I find the best thing to do to chill out is to flop in to your favorite chair with a beer and some Miles Davis,sketches of Spain is my number one and just go with the flow.Must agree with the sentiments about Sundays a day for rest and contemplation this i may add comes from a man of no religious beliefs, but the loss of Sunday being a different day is sad indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari