Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remakes

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
and the WORST are from the 80s 90s 00s... no doubt about it!

I do not know about that....it is a matter of taste.... I think about the following and I am reminded that talent is abundant no matter what the calendar shows.

Victor Victoria
(1982) which was an Oscar winning remake of a remake of the ’33 German film Viktor und Viktoria.

Moulin Rouge! (2001)This remake of John Huston’s 1952 Best Picture nominee marked the fifth film to be titled Moulin Rouge—the first three were musicals released in 1928, 1934 and 1940—and far succeeded its predecessor with eight Oscar nominations (including Best Picture) and two wins (Huston’s version was nominated for two Oscars and won none).

King Kong (2005) Peter Jackson’s epic “homage” to the ’33 classic is a larger-than-life vessel of entertainment and wonder, and won three of four nominated categories at the 2006 Oscars (Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects), besting its predecessor, which was completely shunned at the ceremony in 1934—an exclusion many believe to be one of the Academy’s greatest mistakes over the years.

Scarface
(1983) starring Al Pacino...remake of Howard Hawks’ 1932 gangster movie (also called Scarface)—which starred Paul Muni and was inspired by the life of Al “Scarface” Capone

The Thing
(1982) Starring Kurt Russell and directed by horror expert John Carpenter, this film follows more closely to the events of the novella Who Goes There? than it does to Howard Hawks’ 1951 film The Thing From Another World. To name just a few.

Entertainment is timeless........To put forth a remake that speaks to a new interpretation, no matter how slight, is worthy of consideration. :)

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
King Kong (2005) Peter Jackson’s epic “homage” to the ’33 classic is a larger-than-life vessel of entertainment and wonder, and won three of four nominated categories at the 2006 Oscars (Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects), besting its predecessor, which was completely shunned at the ceremony in 1934—an exclusion many believe to be one of the Academy’s greatest mistakes over the years.

Scarface
(1983) starring Al Pacino...remake of Howard Hawks’ 1932 gangster movie (also called Scarface)—which starred Paul Muni and was inspired by the life of Al “Scarface” Capone

The Thing
(1982) Starring Kurt Russell and directed by horror expert John Carpenter, this film follows more closely to the events of the novella Who Goes There? than it does to Howard Hawks’ 1951 film The Thing From Another World. To name just a few.

Entertainment is timeless........To put forth a remake that speaks to a new interpretation, no matter how slight, is worthy of consideration. :)

I don't think the 2005 King Kong holds a candle to the 33 version. I watched it once, it was harmless and I'll probably never watch it again. The fact that the 33 Kong got no awards just goes to show you the irrelevance of the Academy Awards. I mean really how many people have even heard of CAVALCADE, the film that won best picture for 1933.

SCAREFACE is kind of a trashy movie that makes me want to take a shower after watching. I wouldn't compare if favorably with Howard Hawks' film.

THE THING is a brilliant film which takes nothing away from THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. One of the few good remakes, mainly because it does follow the source material.

Following the source material is one reason why I think a proper remake of The Big Sleep could work. There is so much in the book that could only be hinted at by the movie, because of the production code. A movie today could be follow the book much more closely. However I can't think of an actor today who could fill the shoes of Philip Marlowe.

Doug

mike

Call Me a Cab
Atomic Age - Excellent insight! CAVALCADE (1933) is really nothing to write home about. It certainly doesn't stand out in 1933. I recently watched Mary Pickford's SECRETS (1933) and was surprised that this was in fact PANNED by the public and critics of the day! Excellent, top quality storytelling and gut wrenching portrayals. CAVALCADE by comparison... weak AND boring.

I think the Academy Awards is just a trumped-up popularity contest.

I'm torn on the new Kong, but I'm quite sure it is no classic. I wish Jackson filmed the book, Kong: King of Skull Island as a complimentary pre/sequel to the original masterpiece! Alas... ain't the case.

Carlisle Blues

Atomic Age said:
Following the source material

Whether any one person enjoyed my examples is immaterial. The purpose was to show that beyond any "Golden Age" there is creativity.

Following the source material with any production whether it is a remake or original is necessary, it truly captures the spirit of the creator of the story. Therefore, any remake today would work following that theory. There is a broader scope than one movie such as "The Big Sleep".

Unfortunately, movie making is not necessarily about true depiction of a story, rather, it is about entertainment.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Whether any one person enjoyed my examples is immaterial. The purpose was to show that beyond any "Golden Age" there is creativity.

Following the source material with any production whether it is a remake or original is necessary, it truly captures the spirit of the creator of the story. Therefore, any remake today would work following that theory. There is a broader scope than one movie such as "The Big Sleep".

Unfortunately, movie making is not necessarily about true depiction of a story, rather, it is about entertainment.

I didn't completely disagree with you. I think your assessment of The Thing is right on.

I don't think its unfortunate that movies are about entertainment. That is what they are. And to be honest its not always easy to directly translate a novel to the screen. A novel has a very different story telling structure from a 3 act movie, and often things have to be re-arranged, combined, or dropped to make it work for a film. For most novels, if you just filmed what was on the page, the movie would likely be 5 or 6 hours long, and VERY boring.

Doug

Carlisle Blues

Atomic Age said:
I don't think its unfortunate that movies are about entertainment. That is what they are. And to be honest its not always easy to directly translate a novel to the screen. A novel has a very different story telling structure from a 3 act movie, and often things have to be re-arranged, combined, or dropped to make it work for a film. For most novels, if you just filmed what was on the page, the movie would likely be 5 or 6 hours long, and VERY boring.

Doug

While I accept your perspective, I also believe it is subjective and out of context. If I want pure entertainment I will go to a circus.:icon_smil ;)

If I want to experience a story in film I view a movie. It does not mean I will not be entertained, however, I expect a certain degree of fidelity to the original story.

While I understand that your explanation includes a narrow and strident attempt to tell the story page by page, paragraph by paragraph, that is not what I am talking about. I am simply asserting that a filmmaker can be true to the story while making a movie within the constraints of film making.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
While I accept your perspective, I also believe it is subjective and out of context. If I want pure entertainment I will go to a circus.:icon_smil ;)

If I want to experience a story in film I view a movie. It does not mean I will not be entertained, however, I expect a certain degree of fidelity to the original story.

While I understand that your explanation includes a narrow and strident attempt to tell the story page by page, paragraph by paragraph, that is not what I am talking about. I am simply asserting that a filmmaker can be true to the story while making a movie within the constraints of film making.

I agree and I think a good example is L.A. Confidential. That film threw out whole subplots from the book, and streamlined the story to its essential elements. Even so I think they were very successful in translating the spirit of the book to the screen. The author has said as much himself.

However The Black Dahlia from a book by the same author, in my opinion was considerably less successful at doing this.

In my opinion films are entertainment, thats why its called the entertainment business. Books are also entertainment, just in a different form. If these things weren't entertaining, people wouldn't sit still for 2 hours, or spend days reading them. As an example, even though I vehemently disagree with his politics, I found Michael Moore first 2 or 3 films to be hugely entertaining. His recent films have been dull and boring and I can't sit through them.

Doug

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
^
^
^

Gilligan's Island remake.:confused:

You see? That's what I mean. It says there they want to " transport these cultural icons to the modern day".... It's just too much honestly :mad:

Carlisle Blues

HadleyH said:
Gilligan's Island remake.:confused:

You see? That's what I mean. It says there they want to " transport these cultural icons to the modern day".... It's just too much honestly :mad:

Too late HadleyH they have already been transported across time and space....:cool2:

020000001140.jpg
Bob%20Denver-SGS-015827.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
^
^
^
Yes. I'm holding my breath now for a remake of "The Flying Nun". I wonder why they haven't done it yet. A computerized 3D Flying Nun! Wow!

:p lol

Carlisle Blues

HadleyH said:
^
^
^
Yes. I'm holding my breath now for a remake of "The Flying Nun". I wonder why they haven't done it yet. A computerized 3D Flying Nun! Wow!

:p lol

Ask and you shall receive....."Paris Hilton is to take on the part of the Flying Nun, in a Remake of the old Sally Field series. Sally Field, now appearing in Brothers and Sisters, will guest as Mother Superior"..lol lol

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s4i21836

JTM-002203.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Ask and you shall receive....."Paris Hilton is to take on the part of the Flying Nun, in a Remake of the old Sally Field series.

I DONT WANT TO RECEIVE! I DON"T WANT TO RECEIVE I DON"T WANT TO RECEIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :rage: :rage:

lol lol lol

Carlisle Blues

HadleyH said:
I DONT WANT TO RECEIVE! I DON"T WANT TO RECEIVE I DON"T WANT TO RECEIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :rage: :rage:

lol lol lol

"It was either that, or a female version of Burke's Law," said an excited Hilton, "I chose the nun as it fits in with my new missionary image."....awww please give her a break..[angel]

ParisHiltonC.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Atomic Age said:
I have to admit that I enjoyed the Brady Bunch movie. We'll see if they can do something just as funny with Gilligan's Island.

Doug

"Put on your Sunday best kids, we're going to Sears!"

I said it in another post, I'll say it here: The best line in any movie, ever!

A Very Brady Movie.

Still trying not to vomit over the GI remake.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy