Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Schott perfecto's quilted lining.

Thebassplayer

New in Town
Hello,

I'm thinking of removing the fixed quilted lining of my Schott 118 for a lighter one.
I'm not riding and the quilted insulated lining is often too warm and makes this jacket not versatile enough.

First, have some of you taken this road and was it a big improvement for you ?

And secondly, if you made it, did you find your jacket rommier after that ?

My 118 is very tight fitting and I've read that removing the thick quilted lining could result in a 1/2 upsize. If true, that wwould give me just the little space neede to make it realy confortable.

Thanks for your opinion and experience.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Someone here has done it. He described it as making the jacket more wearable in warmer months but didn’t say it made it fit more easily.

I would consider such jacket surgery a bit risky in Europe where Schott is so expensive.

Perhaps you could sell your 118, then order the PER22 (really nice Perfecto model without quilted lining) from the Schott main website aux États Unis. It is currently on sale, so even after tax it should be a good price. You would probably end up breaking even or at most spending less money than you would to have the lining changed.

Use the website’s size calculator for your measurements, and select ‘standard’ fit rather than ‘slim’ fit, and you should get the right size.

And secondly, if you made it, did you find your jacket rommier after that ?

My 118 is very tight fitting and I've read that removing the thick quilted lining could result in a 1/2 upsize. If true, that wwould give me just the little space neede to make it realy confortable.

I wouldn't expect the jacket to feel (noticeably) roomier, no. 1/2 up-size is simply not happening.

Schott quilted lining is pretty warm, though so the alteration will at least make the jacket wearable for a bit longer into warmer months but that's about all you will achieve.

I agree with @Aloysius; Not worth it in the long run.

Aloysius

I wouldn't expect the jacket to feel (noticeably) roomier, no. 1/2 up-size is simply not happening.

Schott quilted lining is pretty warm, though so the alteration will at least make the jacket wearable for a bit longer into warmer months but that's about all you will achieve.

I agree with @Aloysius; Not worth it in the long run.

There are a few nice, non quilted Perfectos on sale on Schott’s site right now by quite a lot (about $250-300) so in practice this could mean OP (or anyone else in Europe) would be getting it for far less than EU price even post VAT.

I just saw the 625 D-Pocket and 619 are in the sale, when I was getting the link.

Thebassplayer

New in Town
Thanks for the good advice.

I didn't precise it but it would be made professionaly so no risk to bucher it...
;)

But you're right... seeing the price of a 118 here, I'm a bit reluctant for such an operation and at the same time, I'm sure it would be very cool and confortable with a light satin style lining.

MrProper

Money isn't everything. If your jacket is "the" jacket that isn't really replaceable, then I would just have it done.
If it's any OTR jacket that is easily replaceable, I probably wouldn't do it.

Thebassplayer

New in Town
Clearly, if I was sure that the change of lining puts this jacket where I like, I would see no reason to get another jacket.
;)

The uncertainty of good sizing, taxes and duties and shipping. all make the idea of the per22 less desirable than a change of lining on a classic jacket I know.
;)

When talking about removing quilted lining to gain space and confort, I refer to the measurement of the jacket.

I bought it in 36, basing myself on the measurement of my privious jacket.
All the measures (shoulder to shoulder, chest and hem) were spot on my previous jacket.

However, when I received the 118, it felt much tighter than it. So I figured that the quilted lining makes it tighter, just like the difference between wearing a t-shirt or a big sweater under your jacket.
;)

Aloysius

Well, if that’s the case I don’t know if it will do the trick. I have a Schott Perfecto with a 46 in chest and another cross zip with a 45 in chest, both with bi-swing. The Schott has their heaviest weight quilted, the other jacket has thin fabric liking. And despite this the Schott still feels 1 in/2.5cm bigger in the chest. (Likewise for the other measurements; my point is the Schott quilted lining is really quite thin).

Edward

Bartender
I'm always reluctant to make any objective statement re leather jackets and warmth, either in and of themselves or relevant to climate as everyone varies. That said, my own experience is that my 618 with quilted lining is no more or less noticeably warm than either an Aero steer MC with black drill cotton lining I own or my Johnson D pocket which has a plain satin liner.

Aloysius

I'm always reluctant to make any objective statement re leather jackets and warmth, either in and of themselves or relevant to climate as everyone varies. That said, my own experience is that my 618 with quilted lining is no more or less noticeably warm than either an Aero steer MC with black drill cotton lining I own or my Johnson D pocket which has a plain satin liner.

I assume this is something that some people are more sensitive to than others, like those who have a wool sensitivity.

My experience has been the same as yours, even though I tend to feel hot rather than cold usually, but I have seen several people here mention finding the quilted lining overly warm.

Even so, the quilted lining from Schott, though nicely insulating, is thin. The Aero quilted lining is the same way.

Manolito

Familiar Face
Be advised too that a modified Schott jacket will lose a signifiant part of its value on the second hand market... People "in the know" will notice. Same thing for people who remove the belts from the 618, 118, etc...

You'd better sell your 118, save the tailoring, then find a new jacket that fits your needs...

Last edited:

Aloysius

There’s a guy here who was trying to sell his ‘minimalist’ modded 618 for a while with no one buying at half price. The lining was replaced, belt was cut off, etc. People will only pay extra for such damage if Fine Creek Leather does it, haha.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This exact situation has kept me from buying one of these jackets. I simply get too warm with the quilted lining in many situations. If you can find the same model without the fixed lining, my suggestion would be to go that route.

Aloysius

This exact situation has kept me from buying one of these jackets. I simply get too warm with the quilted lining in many situations. If you can find the same model without the fixed lining, my suggestion would be to go that route.

There’s a pretty big discount on some of the non quilted ones right now. Might be worth trying and returning if it doesn’t work? (Not viable for the OP, but we’re in the US.)

Thebassplayer

New in Town
Hello,

Thanks to all for the opinion.

Just to add on the thickness of the quilted lining. I recently bought a 118 in 38 on Vinted. It was sold as "new without tag" and "only wear 3 times".
Unfortunatly I sent it back cause the thing was clearly not new and the leather has been treated with some kind of wax and had splashing stains on the front and sleeves.

interestingly enough the quilted lining was well use and consquently far thinner than my own 118. So I understand when you say that quilted lining is not o thick cause apparently, with time, it gets less thick.

Frankly, this jacket was one of the most confortable jacket I meet with its softened naked cowhide and light lining. The leather was almost as soft as lambskin, probably cause of the wax or oil put on it.

I didn't keep it because I felt screwed but if my 118 becomes one day as soft and as confortable as this one... I would see no reason to get any other jacket.
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points