Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing the moth ball smell

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
I recently procured a wool overcoat from eBay. I love the coat, but it smells strongly of moth balls.

I've already had it dry-cleaned, which seemed to help some. But, I was out in the snow today, and the wetness brought the smell back again.

Is there anything that takes out the moth ball smell, other than time?

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Miss Bella, some good tips there. I use the outdoor hanging method for my musty/mothball items and it has always worked for me. I would think that several days in the outside air would solve your mothball problem if you have access to a good place to let it air.

When I would pull a tuxedo out of the plastic bag with mothballs at the last minute (I can't remember to do everything in advance), I have had good luck putting the trousers and the jacket in the dryer on a no heat setting for an emergency fix. Best to let it air outside for several hours before the event, though. Might try the dryer if hanging outside is not an option.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've just had good results with airing and then spraying several times with 50/50 water and vodka. That got rid of the mothball smell and, once that was gone, the musty sweat smell that lay underneath.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
This seems to be an "UK thing" for me, as I buy from Germany and UK and occasionally the US, and UK - even new stuiff - has that mothball smell. A few weeks on the balcony do wonders ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL