Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing a zipper...

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with replacing a zipper in a leather jacket?
I have a G1 that needs a new front zip, and wondered what I could expect to pay and if a surgery such as this is very difficult.
The Jacket is an Avirex. And I don't want a half-assed job, but I also don't want to pay $200 for it.
Any helpful hints as to how to proceed would be great appreciated. It's getting chilly and I want to fix before it gets too cold out.

Thanks!

LittleMissPussyCat

Familiar Face
I have replaced zips and it is not to hard, assuming you can find the right size zip, however I would be tempted o get an expert to do it, I normally use a local lady simply because I can be lazy and don't always have time to change zips. I normally pay about £5.

Last edited:
I ahve replaced zips and it is not to hard, assuming you can find the right size zip, however I would be tempted o get an expert to do it, I normally use a local lady simply because I can be lazy and don't always have time to change zips. I normally pay about £5.

Thank you. I guess I gave the impression that I would attempt this. NO WAY! ;)
I'm wondering what to look for in a shop and how much it may cost a pro to do it.
It seems like they'd have to do some major work to replace, but my son tells me I'm nuts. Who's right?
Thanks again!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I'm wondering what to look for in a shop and how much it may cost a pro to do it.

No experience with Avirex jackets but I had a zipper replaced on my "beater" leather jacket a few years back after I ripped a few of the teeth out (by accident). lol I took it to a local tailor and she only charged me $20-30 to replace it. She mentioned it was hard work to sew through the leather so turnaround time was a bit longer than usual (around two weeks).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've noticed that some leather/luggage repair shops also work on leather jackets.

Great suggestions all!
I think I found someone in Pasadena - apparently she has become the defacto goto lady for the local motorcycle clubs (good call Coffee)
I will see what she can do. I figured I was in for $150-200 for this, but appreantly, my "glass is half-empty" outlook was wrong :eusa_doh:

Traut

Familiar Face
There is a great little company in Vermont that did a superb job last week on my Aero Bootlegger. It's Mountain Leather Design in Vermont. I found them on bay. The lady's name is Trish. Very quick turnaround - less than one week. $39.99 including return priority shipping. No muss - no fuss. Contact me if you need anything else. I am 100% satisfied. HT

Last edited:
There is a great little company in Vermont that did a superb job last week on my Aero Bootlegger. It's Mountain Leather Works in Vermont. I found them on bay. The lady's name is Trish. Very quick turnaround - less than one week. $39.99 including return priority shipping. No muss - no fuss. Contact me if you need anything else. I am 100% satisfied. HT

Thanks traut! Hit me up. Thebeatles at mac dot com

Thanks!

jon z

One of the Regulars
If you can source a zip it's not actually that difficult to do yourself. I've done a couple of my own & one for a friend. I've never had any training/experience in the sewing department. I did them by hand so I could ensure the original stitch holes were used. When you remove the old zip you can see how it's attached so you then know how to sew in the replacement. If you do decide to have a go the worst that can happen is you'll remove the old zip, decide fitting the new one's not for you so present your chosen mender with a zipless jacket & the new one loose. Saves them time & therefore you money.

Last edited:
If you can source a zip it's not actually that difficult to do yourself. I've done a couple of my own & one for a friend. I've never had any training/experience in the sewing department. I did them by hand so I could ensure the original stitch holes were used. When you remove the old zip you can see how it's attached so you then know how to sew in the replacement. If you do decide to have a go the worst that can happen is you'll remove the old zip, decide fitting the new one's not for you so present your chosen mender with a zipless jacket & the new one loose. Saves them time & therefore you money.

I think I'll face my limitations head on and pass ;)
Thanks for the suggestion though. All comments are appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara