Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repro A-2 jacket.

wyiauta

New in Town
Forgive me if this has been covered already. I'm interested in buying a new A-2, can anyone advise who makes the best, most authentic jackets (not custom made). Also, would you recommend horsehide or goat skin. TIA.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Forgive me if this has been covered already. I'm interested in buying a new A-2, can anyone advise who makes the best, most authentic jackets (not custom made). Also, would you recommend horsehide or goat skin. TIA.

Good Wear Leather currently make the most accurate reproductions of the A-2. If you look in the outerwear section of the Lounge and search under "Good Wear", you'll find enough information to keep you busy for quite some time. Welcome to the Lounge.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
While I concur for John's excellent jackets, the wait time is several months if he's even accepting orders.

To learn the history and very accurate, unbiased reviews, go to www.acmedepot.com
While a bit dated now, its still the best site for beginners and experts on A-2 jackets.
M

archbury918

One of the Regulars
As for hides, check the orig jacket mfg contract dates. For absolute authenticity, it will tell you what hide was used. Paddy has the dates listed here on TFL stickys.
The difference is wearing is mostly personal preferences. HH takes longer to break in and a bit stiff at first. Goat has a wonderful drape and easy fit. Of course only the Navy used goat exclusively. Check your contracts.
You'll find most responsible repro makers follow orig jacket specs.
Good luck..
M

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

What do you mean by "not custom made"? Are you looking for something you can buy off the rack? That will cut very deeply into your options for something authentic... At the high accuracy level, I think only ELC(?) and maybe Buzz Rickson and The Few keep stock - everything else is made to order.

Otter

One Too Many
I suppose at the end of the day it all boils down to how much you want to spend! If you want to drop £1000 for a GW or £4-500 for an Aero or Eastman. If you have a fairly standard body length and sleeve length then you can pick up some good deals on our old friend ebay, it just depends how picky you want to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou