Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repro Irvin jacket two - finished!

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Hi guys,

I've just posted this over on VLJ, but thought I'd post it here as well. I haven't been a very active member on the Fedora Lounge, but I aim to change that! Some of you will know that a few months back I made my first Repro Irvin jacket. Well, jacket number two is now finished!

I'm really happy with how it's turned out. This jacket is a huge leap forward from jacket number one, and feels a lot more professional.

There were a few issues with the first test jacket, mainly to do with seam tapes and wonky stitching, which I've ironed out on this jacket. Overall, the construction is much better, and I'm really happy with the stitching - there are still a few bits where it's not so neat, but that's true of most original Irvins!

I riveted the leather hanging strap this time, as I think it's a more secure way of fastening it.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Cheers,

Jon

Front-1.jpg

Back-1.jpg

Open-2.jpg

Buckle-1.jpg

Belt.jpg

Armpit.jpg

Sleeve.jpg

Collar-3.jpg

Collar-2.jpg

Collar-1.jpg

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
What a beautiful jacket, the amount of detail and work makes it look amazing. Are you going to tell us how to get our grubby mitts on one?

Cheers

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Thanks for the positive comments!

This is the second Irvin test jacket that I've made (and the second thing ever that I've sewn together - I'd never used a sewing machine before embarking on this project!). The first jacket was where I leaned how it all fits together, and how the sewing machines work. It was an enormously steep learning curve!

I'm hoping that I'll be in a position to start taking orders from anyone who's interested within the next few months. I need to order more sheepskin first, and sort out patterns for different sizes. I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Cheers,

Jon

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Hi Fly Boy,

I took apart an original 1941 jacket, which was in very poor condition, in order to make the pattern. It was the only way to make sure it was an exact pattern. The original was way beyond saving, so I didn't feel too bad about it!

Cheers,

Jon

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
hi Jon,

Truly impressive work, Sir!! I am very IMPRESSED to say the least. May I ask what price you will be listing these jackets? I have a home in Mougins, (PACA) close to Cannes, which would make things easy for shipping. Send me a PM with your thoughts or just answer this post. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hi Fly Boy,

I took apart an original 1941 jacket, which was in very poor condition, in order to make the pattern. It was the only way to make sure it was an exact pattern. The original was way beyond saving, so I didn't feel too bad about it!

Cheers,

Jon

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Hi Fly Boy,

Cheers,

Jon

Well, through your ingenuity that 1941 jacket will live on in spirit! Damned fine work sir!

Man, that's AWESOME! I'd surely be interested! You'd have to be able to make a big one though! Any idea (rough) on cost? I'm sure it's hard to put a price on that as it's not your living, but just a ballpark?
Incredible job!!!

Jonnyboy

New in Town
hi Jon,

Truly impressive work, Sir!! I am very IMPRESSED to say the least. May I ask what price you will be listing these jackets? I have a home in Mougins, (PACA) close to Cannes, which would make things easy for shipping. Send me a PM with your thoughts or just answer this post. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bruce

I think that when I'm up and running, the jackets will be priced at around £795. I can't really compete with the likes of ELC and Aero on price. What I've aimed to do is make the most accurate reproduction Irvin jacket on the market, and therefore the material cost per jacket is pretty high. At the moment, it's taking me a little under two weeks to make a jacket, although I'm sure it will get quicker, after making more jackets.

For me, it's becoming a real passion, and all about making jackets which look and feel like original Irvins. I'm just hoping that there are enough people out there who are looking for the same things in a repro Irvin jacket that I was when I embarked on this project!

Cheers,

Jon

Metatron

One Too Many
Well these are certainly the most convincing looking irvin repros I've seen(without claiming to be an expert). With the ridiculous prices some companies charge for 'spiced up' and inaccurate repros, I don't find your price unreasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy