Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproducing Trousers, Questions

shindeco

A-List Customer
Having just discoverd the downloadable patterns (!) on the "20s-to-40s Style Syndicate" website, (http://www.return2style.de/home_eus.htm) I'm tempted to try and make some trousers based onthe overall pattern. I'm wondering if anyone who has casual vintage trousers could take a look inside them and tell me how the seams are finished. I may as well be accurate, if I'm going to do this.

Any suggestions for fabric would be appreciated, too.

Thanks,
Murray

shindeco

A-List Customer
Muslin Finished!

Here are some pictures of the trial run. The pattern is not bad. The seat is a bit too full (Have to stick my butt out to get it to hang properly) but that can be fixed. The camera's in Asia so I had to use the web cam. Sorry about the poor quality.

FRONT
front.jpg

BACK
back.jpg

SIDE
side.jpg

FULL LENGTH
distance.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Allow me to GRILL you? :)

Which exact pattern on the site produced those pants? I just found knickers.
Did you have much difficulty making them?
What size did you make them?
Those are in muslin?
What final fabric do you have in mind?
Button fly?
Any general advice?

Very inspiring! LOOK at that nice high waist!!! :)
And you whipped those up pretty quickly!!

Three CHEEERS!!!

shindeco

A-List Customer
Sorry, should have elaborated. I'm adapting the overalls pattern "A" . I used the term 'muslin' to mean the trial run; I didn't actually use muslin but a heavy suiting we happened to have in the basement. There's a lot of polyeseter in it but it doesn't took too bad. I think I might actually wear them! The pattern has no waistband so I had to make that up (not too hard) and also has no pockets. Next time, I think I'll add some pockets. The original drawing is a bit inaccurate; the pattern actually has two pleats in the front and a zipper fly.

The system is quite amazing. You measure your waist (for the pants -- all the measurements are in centimetres) and attach the special ruler to your regular ruler and stick a pin through the line corresponding to your waist size. Stick the mini pattern in the middle of a really big piece of paper and stick the pin through the cross in the centre of the mini pattern. The mini pattern has a bunch of dots that are labelled with numbers. You line the ruler up along the dot and measure out the number of cm marked for each dot. When that's done, you play "connect the dots" and you have a pattern in your size!!

shindeco

A-List Customer
That's a very brief description. If anyone is interested, I can post more detailed instructions. All the instructions are in German (which I don't speak, I'm afraid) so if you can read German, you're set. I managed with Alta Vista but ... computer translations are not terribly good. The system is pretty striaghtforward, though. Just make sure you print things off in the specified sizes.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Robert Conway said:
Can you elaborate on this? What does overlocked mean?

Thanks.

basically instead of the machine stitching in a straight line, it stitches in wide zig-zags, one side going beyond the raw edge of fabric to seal it and prevent fraying. have a look inside a pair of trousers and you'll get the idea.

Perhaps if one of our German (or German speaking) members has time to play with, they could help us out and do an accurate translation of the text attending the various patterns. AltaVista can only do so much ...

Whatever happened to the FLounge "resource section" that was being planned?

bk

shindeco

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments. I've done a bit of sewing but this was actually my first pair of trousers. You couldn't ask for a simpler pattern, though.

Baron: It doesn't look like the knickerbocker pattern is the same system. I can't find a miniature pattern for it anywhere.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
basically instead of the machine stitching in a straight line, it stitches in wide zig-zags, one side going beyond the raw edge of fabric to seal it and prevent fraying. have a look inside a pair of trousers and you'll get the idea.

Ok, I've seen that, before.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner