Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction 1930s Suits (although that's a matter of opinion ...)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I normally like to celebrate the efforts of companies making reproductions of classic styles. However, have a look at this website:

http://puttin-on-the-ritz.net/men/

These are described as reproductions of 1930s suits but to me they just look wrong.

Maybe it's the shirt the model is wearing; maybe it's his narrow brimmed hat; maybe it's the fit (especially the rather loose waistcoat); maybe it's just his modern face (with unshaven chin) - but to me these suits do not say thirties. The green trousers seem far too tight across he seat, making them seem more like something from a 1970s business suit. Although they claim to be high-waisted, they do not appear so. And the back of the green jacket seems completely out of balance. Also the jackets lack the waisted look of the thirties and seem to lack structure.

I don't like to be overly critical, since I welcome it when clothing companies make the effort, but the suits seem out of period, which is odd since the ladies clothes offered by the same company appear rather pleasant and authentic.

I would like to hear the thoughts of other loungers and whether they are similarly unimpressed by these suits.

D

Deleted member 16736

I agree completely. To my untrained eye, it's the shoulders. 30's suits had quite strong shoulders. This suit has a natural shoulder more 2011-vintage than 1930's.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chiming in with the others:
230 suit
Waistcoat is too long and loose. It's hard to tell how "high-waisted" those trousers are, but the seat does look a little tight. I like the width of the trousers at the legs, but then you have the stale jacket with its bad fit. I like the material, at least! ;)

Bounder Suit
Pretty much the same thing.

I'm not complaining; at least someone is trying. For that price point, I'd go elsewhere.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's not a reproduction, but I thought the cut of a (fairly) modern suit by Simbols did a pretty good job of channeling a 1930s style. Lots of "wrong" details, but better than the one above.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It's sad to see that the notion is still current that all the 30s/40s were was baggy trousers.

bk

Worse than that: they haven't even got the baggy trousers right! In some of the pics they appear flared. In others they just appear shapeless. They might have got away with the shapeless if they had gone for a much wider leg, but not at that width. To me it is disappointing since there are no shortage of reference photographs and I am sure they could have found a genuine suit to make a copy pattern from.

Worst of all, to my (rather amateur) eye, they don't even look very well made.

I just hope they move on and try to do it better in the future.

filfoster

One Too Many
The contact information referred to the 'webmistress' and one of two suits/jackets is 'out of stock'. The thought creeps that this is a relatively slick site set up by friends of a couple of which the girlfriend was somewhat talented with needle and thread and is not a business best done with payment by check ('cheque' for you local shoppers). I see Paypal is preferred. That won't protect you on custom made garments, I suspect.
I have been duped by similar sites. Well, that last is no difficult feat.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
At that price point you can go to a tailor and have it made bespoke. (At least if you can get out to the provinces.)
I'm consistently surprised by the price of some off the rack suits compared to MTM or even bespoke suits. Why do people buy designer or in this case inaccurate reproductions, when a good tailor can do a reasonably good (fully canvassed) job for a mere £500?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
For the early '30s, that would be historically correct.

Whilst I have seen American suits with flared legs in photos from the period, I have never seen that style on British suits (although the straight legs suits that were worn short often appeared flared).
Any idea of whether the flared legs in the early 30s were just an American thing?

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I'm by no means an expert on suits from the period, but I've seen quite a few of the non-zoot variety that looked like this, my grandfather wore suits that looked a lot like this - I should see if I can't find some photos!

The model for the suits really throws me off, though, the facial hair and the fact that the suits don't fit him/them.

I'd just give them a ring if you're wondering about any sort of or-your-money-back policy, I've asked about their April in Paris coat and they were quick to respond and very nice about all of my inane questions.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Out of interest, what was it about the ladies wear that you didn't like? I ask because I was looking for a present for my wife and had looked at this site.

Sorry, only just seen your question. The fit and finish just doesn't seem very good to me, but then that is often the case in ready made items, rather than ones that are made for someone where they can be fitted.

The shoulders on most of the items are too wide for a proper period look and the fabrics for some of the designs don't drape properly. Some of the designs are better than others though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari