Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Winter clearance spoils:
IMG_4039.jpg

Filson bag and Fair Isle "Navajo" scarf, both from Lucky Brand. Total combined: $54!

mattfink

Practically Family
Thanks for the heads up...got a shawl collar and a JoMo motorcycle sweatshirt for $29.99 each (regular $149.99/$99.99).

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the heads up...got a shawl collar and a JoMo motorcycle sweatshirt for $29.99 each (regular $149.99/$99.99).

All that killer stuff they had before the Holidays is on sale. Alot of it is sold out online but there are tons in the stores. The Spring stuff is looking pretty cool too.

Doug C

Practically Family
I've been wanting a pair of vintage style "hickory stripe" work pants. Doesn't the Pointer Brand carry some - can't find them on their site.. Also, I'd much prefer a non-carpenter style if at all possible, as I'm not crazy about the hammer loop and ruler pockets. Are there any other option?
Doug C

Ed13

Familiar Face
I am wearing a pair of hickory stripe Pointer brand trousers today. The carpenter style are the only ones I have seen on their website. Quality for price is very good which is what should be expected with work wear. Cut is high waisted with straight cut legs, not even close to a slim cut, fashionable look which is in line with what I was looking for. These were the first item I purchased from Pointer and I doubt will be my last.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I am wearing a pair of hickory stripe Pointer brand trousers today. The carpenter style are the only ones I have seen on their website. Quality for price is very good which is what should be expected with work wear. Cut is high waisted with straight cut legs, not even close to a slim cut, fashionable look which is in line with what I was looking for. These were the first item I purchased from Pointer and I doubt will be my last.

I've had a pair of the herringbone Pointer painter pants (now there's a semi-tongue twister!) for a few years and I love 'em, as Ed13 points out, they're very old school in cut, but not as large around the hips as, say, a pair of Levi's 1920 201s...

Tooling around the web, checking out sales, I saw that Super Denim in London have a pair of regular-type hickory pants marked waaay down in price:

547.jpg

No hammer loop, etc, mebbe just what you're looking for:

http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=547

Doug C

Practically Family
thanks for the suggestions guys... the stronghold arevery nice and would be my first choice but are probably too expensive for me and available via rakuten too I assume. The Super Denim (Steven Alan) ones are kind of cool too, but lack something in the cut, not quite as vintage looking or something I think - but more importantly they are out of sz 34. I think I'll try the Pointer brand ones.... do they run true to size or small/large ? Thanks.
Doug C

Last edited:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I've had a pair of the herringbone Pointer painter pants (now there's a semi-tongue twister!) for a few years and I love 'em, as Ed13 points out, they're very old school in cut, but not as large around the hips as, say, a pair of Levi's 1920 201s...

Tooling around the web, checking out sales, I saw that Super Denim in London have a pair of regular-type hickory pants marked waaay down in price:

547.jpg

No hammer loop, etc, mebbe just what you're looking for:

http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=547

Wow, there's some cool stuff on superdenim.co.uk... pricey too.. I should have stayed a childless single... NOT ;-)

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I think I'll try the Pointer brand ones.... do they run true to size or small/large ? Thanks.
Doug C

In my experience they're true to size, waist-wise, but do give a little during wear / after washing. However, you should be aware that the rise on the Pointers is pretty darn high so, f'rinstance, I wear a 34" leg but have turned mine up cos there's no way that I can wear them at just under my 'moobs'! I qualify this by *ahem* pointing out that I have several other pairs of carpenter / work pants with high rises and the Pointers beat 'em all...

BTW, if the hammer loop annoys you, just cut it off under the leg seam and no-one will be any the wiser — I actually find the leg pocket handy for keeping a mobile phone in or, while at a party, taking care of my longneck while I'm eating a hot dog or summat! :D

Doug C

Practically Family
— I actually find the leg pocket handy for keeping a mobile phone in or, while at a party, taking care of my longneck while I'm eating a hot dog or summat! :D

:D, wow that gave me a chuckle! 'cause it sounds like something I would have done.. Does their website just not have the older looking stuff anywhere on it, or am I looking in the wrong place? For instance, I wasn't aware of a herringbone version and would like to compare them to the hickory stripe. BTW, the high rise & wide leg is what I'm after. Though I think I might size down on these since the cut sounds so extreme. BTW, I see what your talking about when looking at these pants on the japanese models (at rakuten, etc). It's a cool look IMHO.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
:D, wow that gave me a chuckle! 'cause it sounds like something I would have done.. Does their website just not have the older looking stuff anywhere on it, or am I looking in the wrong place? For instance, I wasn't aware of a herringbone version and would like to compare them to the hickory stripe. BTW, the high rise & wide leg is what I'm after. Though I think I might size down on these since the cut sounds so extreme. BTW, I see what your talking about when looking at these pants on the japanese models (at rakuten, etc). It's a cool look IMHO.

I'd go with your true size, don't go down one. They're not that full across the thighs, unlike a lot of modern 'carpenter' pants, and getting your normal leg length allows you to decide how high up above your waist they'll sit, then cuff 'em. As they're a very straight fit all the way down the outside leg, they can make you look a more than a bit odd if you get the body/leg proportions wrong when deciding where (below, on or above your waist) you're gonna wear 'em!!! :D

BTW, they do have the herringbone carpenter pants on the site, but they call 'em "Fisher stripe":

pointerbrand_2141_2463451

mattfink

Practically Family
I have a few pairs of the Pointers and if you want them to be comfortable (as carpenter jeans are supposed to be), get your exact size or go one up if you are on the muscular (or chubby) side.

Doug C

Practically Family
oh ok, I see them now.. though it's a shame that you need to search google images to get a better picture of a company's products than on their own site. Thanks for all the info.

vintageghost

New in Town
The best levis repros are early japanese repros.I have 2 pairs of 1930s reproduction Levis they are great I was lucky enough to find them in a thrift store. !933-1937-The 1933 are called the levis are are faded to look like they worn during hard field work The 37s are faded but look great You can find them on ebay 4 $200.00 sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy