Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for the hairdressers here...

Tatum

Practically Family
Hey ladies,

I'm probably going to go for a trim sometime in the next few weeks, and I know we have some fabulous hairdressers here at the Lounge, and I was hoping you'd be able to help me with something. I know that there has been a lot of talk about how to talk to your hairdresser about the cut, taking in diagrams, etc., but I was hoping that one of you girls would be willing to "translate" the diagrams for the Middy, Middy Plus and the Femme Fatale into something that my thoroughly modern (yet totally accomodating!) stylist can understand! She said she had never seen diagrams like that before, haha!

My stylist did a great job, but she added some razoring and tried to modernize it a bit, and now that it's growing out some, I think I want to have it cut as perfectly vintage as possible, as sometimes it's hard to set and I am totally dependent on end papers! :p

These are the cuts I would love to have "translated"... and could anyone suggest a longer version, because 4" on the sides makes it really tough for me to do rolls without a ton of hairspray to hold the sides up, lol! Unless, of course, I am reading them wrong myself as well!

middy.png

screenSiren.png

femmeFatale.png

Thanks, ladies!
<3
Tatum

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
You might want to translate it saying you want a diagonal back that has a u-shape to it with some medium length layers all over. If you do it like the diagrams you are going to have some pretty short hair on the crown of your head. Then it's up to you to figure out how short you want the longest part of your hair and you should be good. That is how I would explain it back to someone when I am cutting their hair, hopefully it will help you a bit!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
What an interesting diagram....
I am due for a haircut too and I was thinking of cutting 2 or 3 nches off so that my hair is at my bra strap.. this long tail of mine is becoming very hard to style! Im a lady on the go! LOL
Thanks for the diagrams!

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
If you bring those diagrams to the stylist and she has the training to read them, thats all you should have to do! Ask for round angles and make sure you tell her not to modernize it!

Tatum

Practically Family
BakingInPearls said:
You might want to translate it saying you want a diagonal back that has a u-shape to it with some medium length layers all over.

magnolia76 said:
If you bring those diagrams to the stylist and she has the training to read them, thats all you should have to do! Ask for round angles and make sure you tell her not to modernize it!

I tried that, and she said she had never seen a diagram of that nature! Although I am an artiste (haha) I have no idea what a modern haircut diagram should look like. Also, am I reading it right? LOL!

Like I said, she gave it a GREAT effort, but I think it's not quite perfect and I am hoping that it will be easier to style if I can get her something more "updated" diagram-wise.

Even the owner of the salon was, "Vintage? We've never done that! Can't wait to see!" My stylist, on the other hand, thought it was genius and the first words out of her mouth were "You have to try pin curls with that, and I want to see!"

Josephine

One Too Many
I took the Long Length into my stylist, after adding 4 inches to all the lengths (6" became 10, 4" became 8). It worked out well. 10 months later I went to a salon that catered to elderly women and the lady had a little more difficulty cutting it. She jokingly showed it to one of the young stylist and the young one didn't know how to cut it. :) However I had only added 2" this time and it was too short for me. [huh]

Tatum

Practically Family
Josephine said:
I took the Long Length into my stylist, after adding 4 inches to all the lengths (6" became 10, 4" became 8). It worked out well. 10 months later I went to a salon that catered to elderly women and the lady had a little more difficulty cutting it. She jokingly showed it to one of the young stylist and the young one didn't know how to cut it. :) However I had only added 2" this time and it was too short for me. [huh]

Thanks, Josephine! I remember your post when you got it cut last, I thought it looked great.... Maybe I can go for something like that. So add 2" to everything and see what happens, is that what you suggest? (Darnit, I have to grow it out longer than I thought! Grrr... :))

Josephine

One Too Many
Tatum said:
Thanks, Josephine! I remember your post when you got it cut last, I thought it looked great.... Maybe I can go for something like that. So add 2" to everything and see what happens, is that what you suggest? (Darnit, I have to grow it out longer than I thought! Grrr... :))

Well, if the Long Length is too short for you, you might want to add 4". You can always get it cut shorter if 4" is too long. :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Josephine said:
Well, if the Long Length is too short for you, you might want to add 4". You can always get it cut shorter if 4" is too long. :)

Here's what I always say, and it makes my stylist crack up (I guess no one else feels this way??) - It's just hair, it will grow back! :D

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Tatum said:
Here's what I always say, and it makes my stylist crack up (I guess no one else feels this way??) - It's just hair, it will grow back! :D

Naw, I feel that way too! I never get too upset when I get a wacky haircut because I know I can either hide it with curls or it'll grow back in a month or two anyway!

Tatum

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Naw, I feel that way too! I never get too upset when I get a wacky haircut because I know I can either hide it with curls or it'll grow back in a month or two anyway!

Yay! I'm not the only one! :D I just wish mine grew faster, I swear it only grows an inch every six months. No idea why!

There was only ONE time I freaked out, and that was the first time I went from REALLY long (the middle of my back) to REALLY short (that emo-style pixie cut with bangs that everyone has now? I did that eleven years ago). Although I loved the cut (and went back to it a few times), it was such a shock to wake up the next morning and think, where the heck is my hair?! I bawled my eyes out, then got over it and dyed it pink :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24