Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reshaping an Akubra Federation IV

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I have decided to try a new bash in my Fed IV Deluxe. What's the best way to 'reset' the crown and take all the creases out so I can start again?

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hit the hat with some steam or distilled water and push the creases out into an open crown state then take another swing at creasing.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Hit the hat with some steam or distilled water and push the creases out into an open crown state then take another swing at creasing.

So when I apply steam and push out the bash won't there be creases in the felt? How do I make the crown smooth so it looks like an open crown hat again?

So when I apply steam and push out the bash won't there be creases in the felt? How do I make the crown smooth so it looks like an open crown hat again?

If there are still "ghost bashes" in your hat after steaming it open - and they're too distinct for you to ignore - you'll either need a block or some type of facsimile to use to iron them out. Normally the creases will come out reasonably just by steaming. IF you choose to iron the creases out, you would need a block which is a size or two smaller so you don't stretch out the sweatband. I've never used one, but Hat Shapers (google it) seem to be popular for this.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm presuming you don't have much experience nor wish to invest in expensive hatter's equipement......If you've got something round like a ball (or even a semi-sphere), preferably hard, that will fit inside the crown, that would be great for smoothng out the creases. I prefer to soak the top of the crown in water & then smooth out the open crown rather than using steam as unless you really know what you're doing, you risk damaging the felt as it can take a long time getting it perfectly smooth. The added advantage of a damp crown is that you can then take your time to reshape it just as you want it & then set aside to dry.

RJR

I'm presuming you don't have much experience nor wish to invest in expensive hatter's equipement......If you've got something round like a ball (or even a semi-sphere), preferably hard, that will fit inside the crown, that would be great for smoothng out the creases. I prefer to soak the top of the crown in water & then smooth out the open crown rather than using steam as unless you really know what you're doing, you risk damaging the felt as it can take a long time getting it perfectly smooth. The added advantage of a damp crown is that you can then take your time to reshape it just as you want it & then set aside to dry.
This method will give you time to get all ghost creases out,then let it dry completely before you start with the new crease.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
So I received my first Fed IV, Imperial, Carbon Grey open crown! Lovely colour and I managed to dry crease a diamond with very little difficulty (thanks to the Diamond Authority and FL writers who gave great tutorials!). No steam so far and softer felt than I expected.

However.... the Fed is big compared to the 2 inch brims I have worn to date. I am warming to wider brims but am still not sure the dimensions will work overall on my tiny head (56.5 or between 7- 7 1/8). SO, getting to the question - how can I slightly curl the back and sides of the brim up? I think this may balance things more - or the hat is simply too big for me... [emoji45]. This shot gives a good idea of what I am thinking of.

d4974fc0c8cd7a328ab0da62e35d9479.jpg

Apologies to the OP for extending on his thread, but I thought my qustion might relate to the topic for future readers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
So I received my first Fed IV, Imperial, Carbon Grey open crown! Lovely colour and I managed to dry crease a diamond with very little difficulty (thanks to the Diamond Authority and FL writers who gave great tutorials!). No steam so far and softer felt than I expected.

However.... the Fed is big compared to the 2 inch brims I have worn to date. I am warming to wider brims but am still not sure the dimensions will work overall on my tiny head (56.5 or between 7- 7 1/8). SO, getting to the question - how can I slightly curl the back and sides of the brim up? I think this may balance things more - or the hat is simply too big for me... [emoji45]. This shot gives a good idea of what I am thinking of.

Apologies to the OP for extending on his thread, but I thought my qustion might relate to the topic for future readers.

The last 15 seconds of this video may help

andrew_AU

A-List Customer

Congrats in your Fed IV too. I remember feeling that the brim was HUGE compared to the hats I was accustomed to wearing at the time. It's now one of the smaller brim hats that I have. I still love it though.

The point is, you get used to it. They're a great hat. Enjoy. We'd love to see a pic of you wearing it once you're done shaping it.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
If there are still "ghost bashes" in your hat after steaming it open - and they're too distinct for you to ignore - you'll either need a block or some type of facsimile to use to iron them out. Normally the creases will come out reasonably just by steaming. IF you choose to iron the creases out, you would need a block which is a size or two smaller so you don't stretch out the sweatband. I've never used one, but Hat Shapers (google it) seem to be popular for this.
It's funny rereading posts from last year. I have two Hat Shapers now. One with a brim and one slightly under sized so I can 'unshape' a crown without needing to remove he lining, leather sweat etc. They are pretty good for the price. I have used them a few times now.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
It's funny rereading posts from last year. I have two Hat Shapers now. One with a brim and one slightly under sized so I can 'unshape' a crown without needing to remove he lining, leather sweat etc. They are pretty good for the price. I have used them a few times now.

I take it the undersized one is to just reset the crown only?

What/how do you use the one with the brim?

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I take it the undersized one is to just reset the crown only?

What/how do you use the one with the brim?

I bought a vintage hat with a very out of shape brim. I applied a lot of steam to the brim and stretched it over the Hat Shaper and used the brim mould/flange to shape the brim 'upside down'. Once the hat was dry I snapped the brim up at the back and kept it down at the front and it kept a decent shape.

I'll see if I can find a before and after pic

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Found it.

Before
FullSizeRender_zpsseavga1p.jpg

After
FullSizeRender1_zpswwy9rbbx.jpg

Reblocked the crown and reshaped the brim

Thanks, but unfortunately am getting the broken image link, although I understand your explanation. Will have a look at hat shapers. I have another hat I picked up hat might benefit and I used the response to one of your earlier threads to reshape the crown by steaming.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Thanks, but unfortunately am getting the broken image link, although I understand your explanation. Will have a look at hat shapers. I have another hat I picked up hat might benefit and I used the response to one of your earlier threads to reshape the crown by steaming.

Photobucket was down for maintenance. You should be able to see the photos now...

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Ok, I can see it now, quite impressive transformation which I may try on a Dobbs I picked up. Thanks again for all the support and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJR

I've had really good luck with Hat Shapers as well

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Regarding hatshapers, is this what you are referring to :

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

Or

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Classic_Dome.htm

The next question is then getting one which is a size smaller than my head for reshaping the crown and then perhaps same size as my head with brim?

Actually, as I am a 56.5 which is between a US 7 - 7 1/8 that makes me either a small or a medium so should I go for a medium, i.e. go up on the shaper rather than down?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner