Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-extremists? What are we called?

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
At a writing forum, I was trying to explain about this kooky subculture of ours but was hard-pressed for one good word to describe it. If you say someone's a 'biker', at least it evinces the stereotypical image of a fat, tatted guy drinking Bud on a Hog, but there's no word that fully evinces what we do. And I'm not talking about those having a passing interest of vintage culture, I'm talking about the diehard Forgotten Man/Lizzie Maine/myself-included set that go on about life as though it really were still 1930,40,50, etc. (I apologize to FM and LM if I'm wrong about this inclusion, but I'm going to presume from the thousands of posts stating otherwise, I'm not. :) )

Kind regards,

Jack

It's kind of funny, but I have been wondering this very topic too. lol We are a nameless society!

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Have you read the first 30 or so pages of this thread? It's fascinating! Personally, I am partial to adopting the title "atavist" :)

I started reading part of it, but was not able to finish it. I'm going to do that now before I leave. :) I'm not sure what I would be partial to. I'll let you know soon. lol

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I've read a little bit more and I think my head is spinning now. lol

To be honest, I don't really like "atavist". One big reason why is that I feel that doesn't quite describe the uniqueness of the vintage community. Everybody's level of vintage is different (heck everybody's idea of what is "vintage" is different too!). It might describe a person who really absorbs themselves in their era (car, clothes, music, etc.), but it wouldn't describe me very well at all. My level of vintage is more moderate. I like to dress in vintage (if an event calls for it, but I don't always do this), listen to vintage music, watch vintage movies, etc. However, there is plenty of me that loves to dress in my "regular clothes" and enjoy other things that might not be of a vintage nature. I think vintage very much influences my life, but does not rule my life.

I'm not exactly crazy about it either, but Retrophile does make sense. Plus, by using the word "retro" it seems to narrow it more towards of a historic nature. Atavist seems too mysterious to me. It's like something out of a virtual reality video game or something. lol

You know, the more I think of it, if you want to call yourself a atavist, a retrophile, or whatever, as long as you are happy and you feel that it best describes you, that's all that matters. :)

I get "your house reminds me of my grandma's house" quite frequently.

I kind of like the term 'anachronism', as a I was called by a nice young lady not too long ago. I think it fits rather well.

the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-drink-beer-so-my-opinion-on-it-probably-isn-t-that-valuable-090765.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ