Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-extremists? What are we called?

Well, if you want to see it in action several years ago there was the most amazing row over aviator jackets A2s and who had the most authentic repros. There were arguments over color, stitching, zippers, leather and nit picking that was well actully kind of funny if you weren't involved in the fray. Occasionally it comes up with how someone is accesorizing when dressing up. And it was a recent bone of contention for planning a get together out this way where there was some insistance as to authenticity in vintage wear for a specifc era that got a little too pushy. It does get tied up with a bit of self congradulatory - ness. I like what I like and I can enjoy what others pursue but I don't want people to stay away if they are interested just because they can't afford to come in vintage. I own no vintage suits, I have vintage ties and hats but I can't do the vintage because i don't find my size when I look.
It still happens - although it's a little less obvious at times. You get to know the players...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That kind of detail obsession has its place in a museum/professional reenactment setting, but on a hobby level it strikes me as fanboy (and it's usually men who get wound up about such things, not women) obsessiveness on a level with arguing over whether Sgt. Rock could beat Captain Picard in a fistfight. Stitch-counting really doesn't teach one anything particularly meaningful about the reality of the Era, so -- meh. People can do it if they want, but don't expect me to care two cents that I have plastic tips on my shoelaces when only aluminum would be correct for the second quarter of 1935 . I'm not "reenacting" anything, I'm living my life.

It's the type of thing where people get a little too serious in their speculation as to how long one could live undetected in say 1936 NYC in some time travel Star Trek type mission. Mostly hoping not to violate the Non-interference portion of the Prime Directive.

Settle down Francis!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Fedoras etc don't have soul. People do. Vintage things help bring flavor to my life and enrich it, but they aren't my life.

I wear jeans every day. Kick me off the FL NOW...

I sure hope so ;)

A few years back one of the guys that had no vintage came and had a great time. For us it's all about the conversation mostly. If you're interested it's good enough. Also the ladies will be able to give you a zillion tips if you're looking to do the vintage thing, their expertise will help you save $ and dial in on what you want.:cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Atavism comes from the inside out, not from the outside in. It isn't a persona you put on in the morning and take off when it suits you. Dressing up an atavist in modern clothes doesn't make them modern -- it just makes them itch.

That kind of detail obsession has its place in a museum/professional reenactment setting, but on a hobby level it strikes me as fanboy (and it's usually men who get wound up about such things, not women) obsessiveness on a level with arguing over whether Sgt. Rock could beat Captain Picard in a fistfight.

My money is on Sgt. Rock. :p:D But on a serious note I think it would be great if we could somehow have Lizzie as a guest speaker at the QM one of these days. Her knowledge of the social and cultural background of the Era is second to none.

Last edited:

William Stratford

A-List Customer
I agree on the coming down on others bit and competition. It is like that here and everywhere hobbies/lifestyles are discussed.

Someone should write a vintage version of this... :D

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner