Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro London, Paris, Barcelona Advice

Flyhalf_Keith

New in Town
Hello to all!

In 28 Days my Fiance & I are to marry. We are both vintage enthusiasts, but pale in our knowledge compared to so many of you all and would like your input.

Our honeymoon will have us in London, Paris & Barcelona and I would like to surprise her with having some sort of "vintage itinerary". I've been to London many times, but usually stag or on a rugby tour. My fiance and I went together in May 2009 and my willy-nilly planning didn't go over well.

A little about us that may be helpful:

My April is a Neonatal ICU Nurse who has a penchant for dressing like Betty Page and other assorted bombshells of the late 40's and early 50's (I'm a lucky fellow!).

For our wedding, she isn't wearing white or carrying a bouquet - she's wearing a leopard print dress from Candy Anthony in London and carrying a parasol (while she was being measured for it at Oxo Tower, I used the time I was forbidden to be present and walked to St Martins Accessories and looked at model cars).

She owns a vintage Vespa.

She loves antique flea markets, vintage - or vintage inspired - clothes, Morris Minors, Fiat 500's, and "endangered" cocktails (learn more about that at www.lupec.org).

About me: I'm a former Merchant Marine Officer who has "swallowed the anchor" and now has a shore-side profession. I'm a Steve McQueen fan, I ride a Triumph Bonneville (I've already been to The Ace), and I really like: Army Surplus stores, vintage Grand Prix/Sports Car/Motorcycle racing; tweed and waxed cotton, the whole idea of a "Gentleman's clothier", BRG Lotus Super 7's, string back driving gloves and musette bags.

Please don't feel compelled to only suggest things that may be related to the far flung topics I have mentioned. Anything you wish to share I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks to all and I remain;
Respectfully Yours,
Flyhalf_Keith

Burton

One of the Regulars
Keith , congratulations on your impending wedding. Sounds like you know London and I dont know Barcelona but if you are spending time in Paris you will definitely want to spend time in the Latin Quarter. My favorite place is the Rue Mouffetard an old neighborhood that Hemingway lived in the 1920s. It right out of a postcard and vintage clothing fits right in.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Vintage London & Paris

For you, I would suggest getting away for 2 hours by yourself (I know, it is supposed to be your honeymoon but you'll need to recharge your batteries) and go for a haircut and shave at Truefitt & Hill.

In Paris, you'll want to go to Cafe Flore (I THINK that's it. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll ask my wife which one it is). It was my understanding that it was a popular Hemmingway haunt. I enjoy going for that reason. My wife enjoys going b/c she saw it on the food network several times. Either way, they do have great omlettes.

Let me ponder this and talk with my wife, and I'll have more suggestions.

Congrats, BTW!

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
portobello road market shopping also club pigalle for a night out.....always a number of 40s/50s dance at the weekends and in the summer plenty of airshows and hangar dances too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21