Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REVIEW: B-10 Jacket by PIKE BROTHERS

Tally Ho!

New in Town
Hi all.

My Pike Brothers B-10 has arrived. I took some pics, made some notes and - sent it back. Never the less it is, in fact, not bad at all. Especially for somebody who is looking for a reasonable repro without looking at the details too much - which unfortunately excludes myself.

The price of 230 Euros for the model with a no-name zip is (the pikes offer a model with an original TALON-Zip) pretty good. On the other hand it is only another 100 Euros extra for an Eastman B-10.

As I do not have an original B-10 kickin' around the house, I used an original pair of A-9 trousers for general reference.

But see for yourself:

Cloth: Gernerally speaking the cloth is pretty good, the thickness and the weave pattern both come pretty close. There is a color difference but who is to tell what is correct when it comes to colors of 60+ year old garments?

Cut: As others have mentioned before (thanks for the hint Fletch!) the cut seems to be far from an original B-10 of any maker. Especially the arms are far too roomy.

Cuffs: As Fabian of Pike's already stated, the cuff material is not made of pure wool but a blend of other fabrics. I would not mind that too much but really strange are the 1' wide elastic bands inside the cuffs.

Zipper: A fair reproduction regarding size and shape. But: the slide is attched to the left side of the zip while a regular North-American zip features the slide on the right hand side.

Lining: it is pretty good on first sight - until you put it beside the original stuff (Which is easily double in thickness).

Label: Not even close...simply unsatisfactory.

Stiching: The stitching is far too wide - I would say about twice the width of the original (again: talking about a pair of A-9 trousers).

Buttons: They are close to the original buttons but not quite meet them looking at the edges which are not rounded off (I know, I am starting to lose it...perhaps I should quit martinis for a while).

Overall appearance: If you are not totally getting off on original zippers, war-time buttons and fabrics, that could (should) come straight out of the quartermaster's shop, this is the coat for you. It is well done - as long as you don't have an original for reference.

If you do and if you are keen on details, buy an Eastman. Which I will do next week. Drop a line if you care for a review on that.

Tally Ho!

I was going to attach some pics but for some reason I am not allowed to (they just CAN NOT know I'm actually German...). Any ideas??

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for adding the review.

To attach pictures you need a hosting site like Photobucket. Simply create an account (they are free), upload your photos, and post the link here.

Peacoat

Bartender
Use the IMG code which will be below your photo at your remote host. Copy that link, and then paste to your message at the Lounge. Use the Preview Message button here to ensure your photo made the trip. Simple once you figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland