Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Deckard coat Blade Runner

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
Based on all the stories I've heard of shoddy construction, holding their [really bad and mostly sythetic] fabrics in person, and seeing a lot of pictures that featured such awfully bunched up and wrinkled collars. On top of that, it's only made-to-measure. Anything slightly custom beyond adding pockets (which they charge for) will cost even more. It doesn't seem worth the while to me when other companies are doing the same things, with better fabrics and construction, fully custom, for a lower price. But, that's just my opinion.
What other company is doing the Deckard trench with better fabrics, construction, custom and at a lower price?

I am very interested to get one.

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud, Baron Boutique also makes one, in slightly lighter coloured fabric and with a quilted lining (which you can change if you ask). It appears short in proportions because the customer they made the pictured coat for is rather short. I believe the member here making his Deckard costume ordered from them -- still have yet to hear about it.

So far, my only gripe looking from a distance is that the fabric could be a bit darker and rustier in colour, but frankly costumes look all sorts of colours in different lighting throughout movies and TV anyway. Just look at the "gold" coloured uniforms in Star Trek which were actually BRIGHT LIME GREEN in real life!

Burns

New in Town
Hiya all, sorry I dropped off there, had an interesting year.

I so far haven't had any trouble with bunched up collars or any shoddy construction, but I'm also not an expert with sewing (hence shelling out the dough for someone else to do it. ;) )

As far as the color, realize that throughout most of the movie it is raining and the coat is drenched, which makes it a lot darker. I suppose they could make their coat darker in color to compensate, but I'd rather have something true to the prop personally. I will take some pics of it and post as soon as I can. Sorry once again for the long delay. :)

Any new news on the shirt, or am I just looking at making one... I've got the pattern figured out but not looking forward to making it work.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Noodles, I have to agree about the collar. It always reminded me of a knit wool sweater lining detail, similar to the sweater he wears at the end.

I know Magnoli had expressed interest in attempting a Blade Runner coat if someone wanted to commission it. I don't know that he's had any takers yet. He does have a great Deckard tie, though.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
the poster artwork definitely played up the ribbing. Im not sure how much the actual costume had....but there is definitely some.

2092450886_92f6071165.jpg

2764516871_da68b12267.jpg

423227053_49498ff2da.jpg

blueray case
2733063550_0faa63344e.jpg

Admiral Kirk `82, hmmmm....
2091664839_3fa581e9ee.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
The collar has been the greatest debate in making this coat. Instead of ribbing fabric or heavy wale corduroy, I believe that the original had piped rills in it. The ribs don't look 'fuzzy' enough to be corduroy or wool ribbing, and the collar very much looks to be the same color and texture as the rest of the coat. The only way this could have been done would be to garment dye the entire coat, have two fabrics made in the same dye lot, or to use the same fabric throughout the garment with structural detail added to the collar.

Rachael

A-List Customer
Many thanks! This coat (and related projects) has morphed from a simple Halloween costume to a career change; it's been quite a ride, but at last my borderline OCD has provided a calling.

Feraud

Bartender
Rachel, the close up of the collar is fantastic.
I may have missed your earlier contribution to this thread.
Did you fabricate your own Blade Runner trench?
Is it finished? Do you have additional pictures? I would love to see them.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I just jumped into the middle of the thread, as is often my habit.

Yes, I have made a replica of the trenchcoat. It was for Halloween last year, and we made the rounds at the re-release and a local Sci-Con here in town dressed as Deckard and Rachael (thus the name). It was in researching the styles that I revived my interest in vintage clothing, since many of the pieces are very close variations of Golden Age styles. Here are some of the pictures I have, I would be happy to take more if anyone wants to see details.

DSCN8764-1.jpg

BR2008Trench.jpg

coat5.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
May as well slide this in; I got an e-mail from Magnoli. He's curious to see if a custom Deckard shirt would sell. Drop him a message if it's something you'd think of buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy