Rough-In Leather Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by mark ford, Nov 12, 2019.

1. mark ford

mark ford New in Town

Hi, I am new to the forum. I bought a "Rough-In Genuine Top Grain Front Quarter Horsehide" leather jacket at an estate sale. I am posting pictures. Can someone tell me a little about it? Based on the pictures posted here of leather jackets, this one is in very good condition. Slight wear on the cuff and shoulders. Absolutely no leather cracking and the lining is in almost new condition. Collar is good, pockets are good but could use a washing. Zippers are both good. It is a little stiff for lack of a better description. I have done nothing to it for fear of messing it up. Pics are attached. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mark

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      968.7 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

Nice jacket, love that lining! From the zipper it looks to be mid 40s. This is made by the rough wear clothing company, I believe in Middleton Pennsylvania. I'm not looking at a label right now. They're very well known for their military contract a A2 jackets. Run a search for rough wear clothing company and you'll find some information. I have one of their jackets. I'm surprised we don't see more, but they just don't show up.

What size would you say this jacket is?

3. mark ford

mark ford New in Town

I would guess a medium size?? I am at work and don't have it with me. I have very big shoulders and I could not squeeze into it.

4. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

This one is probably a bit earlier jacket. The horsehide on this jacket is as heavy as vintage jacket I have handled. It is stiff, but not dry. Heavy duty, which I believe most of their jackets were. They don't show up often which surprises me. Their original A2 jackets are very often reproduced.

DSC03332.JPG DSC03344.JPG DSC03336t.jpg DSC03349.JPG

5. mark ford

mark ford New in Town

I have found a few using Google. Some of them have the tags reversed with Rough-In on the collar. I pulled up the patend number, it is for a jacket dated 1938

6. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I think the patent is for the adjustable inner collar between 1935 to 1952.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US1993705

mark ford likes this.
  7. mark ford

mark ford New in Town

Measuring it, 22" from armpit to armpit, from top of shoulder to top of shoulder is 18", length from top of collar down the back to the bottom is 25", top of shoulder to cuff is 25", width at the buckle in the back is 20" when let fully out and the length of the front zipper is 22". The person who owned it took very good care of it. It still has a slight, wonderful smell of leather and it sings like only leather can when you fold it or manipulate it. I bought it blindly from an online estate auction/sale. Blindly meaning I only had pictures to go by. I first saw it when I went to pick it up. $90 with tax and auction fees. There were leather motorcycle saddle bags that I am still kicking myself over for not bidding. Owner was deceased but must have liked motorcycles.