Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ruin boots to make them fit?

What would YOU do?

• Have a cobbler cut the top off and refinish the ankle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell the boots.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

celtic

A-List Customer
I just scored a pair of brand new boots that look very much like WWII double buckles.

They're suede (roughout?) and have the leather band on top with the double buckles.

They're VERY cool and fit my feet well. Plus they're American made.

BUT

I have large calves(15"+) and these things just BARELY fit over socks. They're almost uncomfortable at the calf. Now, I never meant to wear them over pants like they're supposed to be worn...I'm not a reenactor...I just think they are cool boots and was planning on wearing them under jeans.

So my question is:

IF YOU WERE ME,

Would you take the them to a cobbler and have him remove the leather top, in which case you have a really cool pair of ankle boots that fit well,

OR

would you sell them to someone who can actually use them the way they were intended?

I'm really torn here, because I like the boots a lot...with or without the buckles. But I also cringe sometimes when I read about somebody ruining something cool.

SO, what would YOU do?

arthur

Suspended
There brand new so you wouldn't be ruining something with historic value so if I were you I would do what ever you have to do to make them comfortable.Cut them down a nice pair of work ankle high boots will be great.Again if they were real WWII boots my opinion would be 180 degrees.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Keep in mind you can stretch leather. If you want to keep the boots as they are, try asking the cobbler to stretch just the cuff. Unless it is a significant amount to stretch it can probably be done.

celtic

A-List Customer
Thank you,Arthur.

Mike, I suppose I could stretch the leather, but for some reason the front of the strap kind of bunches when I make the straps tight. I think it's just because of the way my calves are shaped...these boots were not made for defensive linemen... ;) So even if I stretch them to fit, or even have another piece of leather put on the top, it's just not gonna look right due to my large calves :(

So my options pretty much are

have them cut to the ankles and stitched...
or
Sell them.

Years ago I found a great deal on a pair of 20-hole gripfast commando boots that I had no qualms about having cut down to 13-hole due to these calves. mooooooo lol

but i just feel a twinge of guilt about ruining these boots for some reason.[huh]

for reference:
9beb_1.jpg

6cb6_1.jpg

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Here is another way to come at it. Ask the question...what would a soldier fighting in WWII do if he was in Europe and developed the same problem. I am sure he would have lopped of the tight leather in a heartbeat. so .. I say trim them and be comfortable. They are your boots.

celtic

A-List Customer
Haha, Akubra man almost had me sold...He made a GREAT point..

WWWWIISD?

What would a WWII Soldier do?

But then John in Covinia threw a monkey wrench into it.

POLL!

:D

celtic

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Bring them to a cobbler and see what he can do. Maybe he can stretch them and/or lengthen the straps.

I thought of that, but the ankle of the boot is a pretty small circumfrence...so if the leather is even longer on top I fear they will end up looking like buccaneer boots! lol

HarpPlayerGene said:
Lop off some of that calf meat and send it to me! I could use it. My legs are as skinny as spaghetti! :eek:

I gave at the office.

:D

These boots were one of those impulse buys that I should've thought through a little bit better. I didn't spend a lot of money so I'm not too worried about it. I just figured I'd see what the consensus would be.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
celtic said:
I thought of that, but the ankle of the boot is a pretty small circumfrence...so if the leather is even longer on top I fear they will end up looking like buccaneer boots! lol

But aren't you covering that part with jeans?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Just my .02, but they would still be accurate WWII boots, since the boots were originally issued without the buckle strap.

I say keep 'em, cut off the straps, and enjoy your rugged, well-fitting, and cool boots.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
!5" aint that bad I have made boots for calves 21" and 22". You have two choices, move the buckles foward or slice the tops off. You wont get enough stretch to do much good from chrome tan and it will most likely shrink some over time. If I were to soak them and put my leg stretcher on them they would tend to pull the buckle straps too much or pull the top of the boot out of line.:(
Tom

celtic

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
But aren't you covering that part with jeans?

You do have a point. But they might look funny...I don't usually wear boot-cut jeans...
and even if nobody would notice, I'd know they looked goofy...
Kind of like how you ladies just feel better when you're wearing nicer undergarments even though nobody but you might see them that day?

I never said I was sane. :p

bigshoe said:
!5" aint that bad I have made boots for calves 21" and 22". You have two choices, move the buckles foward or slice the tops off. You wont get enough stretch to do much good from chrome tan and it will most likely shrink some over time. If I were to soak them and put my leg stretcher on them they would tend to pull the buckle straps too much or pull the top of the boot out of line.:(
Tom

hmm, never thought about having the buckles moved...interesting and it just might work. As it is now I can get the buckles to close on the last hole, but it does pull the top out of line and sticks out in the front...plus it's mildly uncomfortable.

If I decide to keep them I'll see what the cobbler can do for me.

Thanks!

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
Boots

Well, I have to tell you, Alot of WWII Reenactors are doing this. Alot are taking off the DOUBLE BUCKLE Cuff. This in turn makes them EXACTLY a WWII Service Shoe. Thats what the Government did back during WWII. They simply took the WWII Service Shoe/Boot and Added the cuff. They did this so the soldiers wouldnt have the wear the "Spats" anymore. So, if you have the cuff taken off, you actually will still have a WWII Boot, it will just change it from a Double Buckle Boot, to a WWII Service Shoe.
Can you post pictures? Depending on what size you need, I maybe able to trade you a larger size that will fit you for your pair.
LEt me know please.
Thank you

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I used to wear over-the-calf socks, but since discovering ankle-highs, thats pretty much all I wear, even with boots. They dont slip down and annoy me all day. Without the extra width of otc socks, the boots may fit you fine.

celtic

A-List Customer
MrBern said:
Might I ask is there a website for buying those boots? They seem a lot sturdier than the usual imported re-enactor reproductions...

Mr. Bern,

Sorry for not answering this sooner!

I got the boots from ebay, and the seller had only this pair.

celtic

A-List Customer
cmjordan77 said:
Well, I have to tell you, Alot of WWII Reenactors are doing this. Alot are taking off the DOUBLE BUCKLE Cuff. This in turn makes them EXACTLY a WWII Service Shoe. Thats what the Government did back during WWII. They simply took the WWII Service Shoe/Boot and Added the cuff. They did this so the soldiers wouldnt have the wear the "Spats" anymore. So, if you have the cuff taken off, you actually will still have a WWII Boot, it will just change it from a Double Buckle Boot, to a WWII Service Shoe.
Can you post pictures? Depending on what size you need, I maybe able to trade you a larger size that will fit you for your pair.
LEt me know please.
Thank you

Actually, I sold these to another Lounger whom they fit.

Thanks very much for the offer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot