Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S.E. Pennsylvania, Golden Era Christmas Movie Get Together! Calling PA Loungers!

cowboy76

Suspended
stormwatch said:
I would be interested in this, would be nice to put some items to use! Could the attire be anything? Military, worker, student, suit?

Have done several impressions at Reading WWII Weekend over the years.

Tim
West Chester PA

Hello.
I see you're new, so welcome to the FL, as I'm a fairly new fellow also.

As far as the attire goes, I'd say just civilian, only for this reason.
Since its not a WWII inspired event that the movie house is hosting (unlike Reading or other actual Living History events) I'd say that the wearing of a uniform would only get you noticed as a possible modern-day soldier or Marine (depending on your attire) which I dont think you'd want.

I know for me, I had worn a WWII Army uniform to an 1940s movie as I had been reenacting for a while, but when people thought I was actually "IN" the military, I became very uneasy and upset. I only had dawned the uniform to honor those who served in WWII, but by being mistaken for an actual soldier, I felt I was doing all men and women who were serving a disservice, since THEY are the ones that are to be recognized and thanked....NOT I!
Also, as you well know, people these days are not very well versed in history, let alone military history and dress,...most cannot differentiate the time lines.

So, and its just my opinion, but in light of my experiences and such,I'd opt for civilian attire, per late 30s-1940s.

So, student, worker, suit, are all backgrounds of people,...just wear waht you would have seen someone your age, (possibly even your background if so desired) would have been seen wearing in the 1940s to a movie show. That's all I'd say.

stormwatch

New in Town
100%

I agree. It will be "civies". I would have gone that route anyway, for the same reasons. Sort of like a police uniform. I have a vintage one from the early 60's but the situations it could be worn are limited. Too close. But wouldn't it be great if it was a "reenactment" and you could have all characters represented... whay stop there take over the street! And the bars... and the bands. I'll calm down now.

cowboy76

Suspended
Bing_Crosby_Biography_3.jpg

BING SAYS,...

"SEE YOU THIS FRIDAY FOLKS FOR THE SHOW!"....;)

cowboy76

Suspended
Well you guys certainly missed a great event!

There was a great showing of people, and my wife and I were surprised to be personally thanked by the president of the chamber of commerce in Northapton, PA for showing up, and after a pleasant conversation, have been invited to attend the chamber's pre-show Chirstmas get together next year, due as we were told, our enthusiasm and support of the theater, history and the chamber of commerce. Of course the 1940s duds helped too as they said,... LOL!

I think it is really nice what they are doing in that area. Really receptive to ideas, and wonderful that they put on such a nice free show. They ended up with approx. 50 boxes of food to help the local food bank this year!

There was also a tour of the theater, the backstage and the dressing rooms below. The original 1927 pipe organ (which indeed did play!!!) and so on. You folks really missed out on this one! What a nice time we had,...something to share with others!!!:)

cowboy76

Suspended
Oh I understand how that goes!!

Well, there's plenty of old time christmas movies being played this month out here in the theaters I had mentioned. If you'd like we could always meet for one. You can always make a small weekend out of it,.....lots of options.

Better luck next time,....;)

stormwatch

New in Town
Movie outing-

I was ready and driving there.... plans dashed by horrible traffic- I should have left 2hours earlier. I wouldn't have made it comfortably. Will there be a next time? Feel sick about not making it. I will watch the movie as a consolation prize? Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner