Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sadly, my favorite Borsalino cap and I have parted ways

Jeff1969

New in Town
Sadly, my goto cap for winter has disappeared. Its been gone for two weeks, I'm losing hope it will return to me. I did a tour around the San Francisco hat shops, but no tweed that's not herringbone. The cap I lost was a brown speckled wool Borsalino Doria. It went really well with my winter jacket, which is Harris Tweed with a corduroy collar. I found some in very large and very small sizes, but it seems 59s are sold for the season. i found a really nice Harris Tweed cap and a really nice corduroy cap, but those would just be weird to wear with the jacket. I really didn't find much online. Borsalino doesn't seem to have a Stockist search for the US. Any suggestions or do I have to wait until fall to find a similar replacement?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
How about the place on Fillmore? Hat Guys in Oakland has a good cap selection too. I bought my Doria ('by gruppa Borsalino') cap there.

Online, check Bencraft, Delmonico, JJ hatters

RJR

Try one of the bespoke capmakers here on the Lounge.I'll bet a pic of your coat would lead to a great cap suggestion.

KRW777

New in Town
Hello Ladies and Gents,
Last week I had visited J.J.Hats Center in Manhattan to get my Borsalino steamed. The salesman, upon seeing my hat, reported that Borsalino has gone bankrupt and closed it's business very recently. I was told all of J.J.Hats Center's Borsalino inventory had been returned for credit before the bankruptcy disclosure, as did most retailers. The issues arising now are that the price of ALL Borsalino hats has risen substantially, especially vintage/antique pieces, resulting in an increase of hat theft from restaurants, theaters, autos, etc.! DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BORSALINO UNATTENDED, OUT OF YOUR SIGHT, OR IN AN UNSECURE PLACE!!!
I hope this may help recover yours Jeff1969, contact your local retailers, EBay, Craigslist, ETSY.com and anyone else you can think of and relay this information so they may be aware of increased Borsalino sales.
Good Day folks,
KRW777
Old school is always Kool!

Matty

New in Town
I am new to this hobby and literally just getting started. I find this post to be very helpful. I just bought a Borsalino Hat(has a linder that says Rogers Peete Co.) and its an Alessandria? its a size 7 1/4.. from my research i believe its from the late 50's early 60's... i am curious of the value? Its in near perfect condition but doesnt fit my head. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Matty

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies and Gents,
Last week I had visited J.J.Hats Center in Manhattan to get my Borsalino steamed. The salesman, upon seeing my hat, reported that Borsalino has gone bankrupt and closed it's business very recently. I was told all of J.J.Hats Center's Borsalino inventory had been returned for credit before the bankruptcy disclosure, as did most retailers. The issues arising now are that the price of ALL Borsalino hats has risen substantially, especially vintage/antique pieces, resulting in an increase of hat theft from restaurants, theaters, autos, etc.! DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BORSALINO UNATTENDED, OUT OF YOUR SIGHT, OR IN AN UNSECURE PLACE!!!
I hope this may help recover yours Jeff1969, contact your local retailers, EBay, Craigslist, ETSY.com and anyone else you can think of and relay this information so they may be aware of increased Borsalino sales.
Good Day folks,
KRW777
Old school is always Kool!

Hmm...fast forward to 2017 and it seems Borsalino is still alive and well and still making hats in Italy.
Sounds like a certain salesman was trying to make a sale through deceit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm...fast forward to 2017 and it seems Borsalino is still alive and well and still making hats in Italy.
Sounds like a certain salesman was trying to make a sale through deceit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well they are alive but def not well. It has been a roller coaster for them over the past few years. The price of vintage Borsa has definitely risen and the quality of modern is spotty. I hope for the sake of hat history and such an iconic brand they can work out their problems and return to at least a semblance of former glory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters