Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Diego in April - Felt or Panama?

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I know there are a few of you out there from San Diego, so please help me out. I'm going to be vacationing there in the second week of April and I'm trying to limit how much stuff I bring. If I can only bring one hat, would I be better off with a felt hat or a Panama at that time of year?

Thanks in advance.

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
Stay with the Fur felt In San Diego

Art I love you but I would have to completely disagree. If you wore the panama people will give you flak and think your a tourist from florida going to the race track, I know I deal with people like this. Go with a meduim weight or the best, if you can find one is a light fur felt. Only wear the panama if you going to east county and no tourist comes to see San Diego for east county "unless family". Stick with the fur felt, not to mention La Jolla and Del Mar could be the middle of the sumer and high 60's low 70's in North County, you're right there is no such things as season's in San Diego especially North County. If your In downtown stick with the furfelt beleive me I was born here and now I'm 19 and as many sky krapers and high end clothiers like the "Ascot Shop" or "Gary's" It will always be a beach town with beach people. Even In summer It's not that hot unless your in Chula Vista, El Cajon, or National City ECT.. which is not the best for sight seeing.

Sincerley
Nick

"Make my Funk The P- funk, I want my Funk uncut." Parliment

epic610

One of the Regulars
Agree....

i travel to LA frequently on business and if their weather is anything similar to san diego's, it can be quite brisk at night as the ocean winds come inland. lightweight fur hat would not be out of place. last summer when i was there, was in pasadena in the afternoon with heat 103+. that night was close to the beach in santa monica and was shivering in a heavy sweater.

The National Weather Service Says:

APRIL WEATHER IN SAN DIEGO

TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO RISE SLOWLY THROUGH APRIL AND THE MONTHLY
MEAN OF 62.6 DEGREES IS 2.6 DEGREES ABOVE THAT OF MARCH. THE
AVERAGE DAILY MAXIMUM IS 68.7 DEGREES AND THE AVERAGE DAILY
MINIMUM IS 56.4 DEGREES. IN SOME APRILS THERE HAVE BEEN DAYS
WITH HOT, DRY WINDS AND TEMPERATURES WELL IN EXCESS OF 80
DEGREES. ON 11 SUCH OCCURRENCES, 90 DEGREES OR HIGHER HAS BEEN
RECORDED AT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE. THE EXTREMES FOR THE
MONTH ARE 98 DEGREES IN 1989 AND 39 DEGREES IN 1875.

SHOWERS RATHER THAN PROLONGED RAINS HAVE BEEN THE RULE. THESE
HAVE OCCURRED ON AN AVERAGE OF 5 DAYS DURING THE MONTH. NORMAL
RAINFALL FOR THE MONTH IS 0.75 INCH HOWEVER IN 1926 THE EXCEPTIONALLY
LARGE TOTAL OF 5.37 INCHES WAS RECORDED OF WHICH 3.23 INCHES FELL
IN ONE DAY. THIS IS ONE OF THE HEAVIEST 24 HOUR RAINFALL AMOUNTS
EVER MEASURED IN THE CITY. ONLY THREE TIMES SINCE 1850 HAS THE
MONTH BEEN WITHOUT MEASURABLE RAINFALL.

STRONG WINDS HAVE BEEN OF SHORT DURATIONS AND RARELY OVER 30 MPH,
BUT ONCE IN 1915 A VELOCITY OF 46 MPH WAS REGISTERED AT THE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

AS A RULE APRIL USHERS IN THE NIGHT AND EARLY MORNING LOW CLOUDS
SO CHARACTERISTIC OF OUR SUMMER AND FALL MONTHS, BUT THE
PERCENTAGE OF SUNSHINE IS LITTLE AFFECTED BY THE CLOUDINESS AND
THE AVERAGE OF 66 PERCENT OF POSSIBLE SUNSHINE IS ONLY SLIGHTLY
BELOW THAT OF THE PRECEDING MONTHS. CLEAR DAYS AVERAGE 10,
PARTLY CLOUDY 10 AND CLOUDY 10. THERE IS AN AVERAGE OF 1 DAY OF
HEAVY FOG. THE RELATIVE HUMIDITY AVERAGES 76 PERCENT IN THE
EARLY MORNING, 60 PERCENT NEAR NOON AND 59 PERCENT IN THE LATE
AFTERNOON.

Magus

Practically Family
Dear Photobyalan,

With San Diego its not so much the waether as how you will be responded to. Weather wise you could go Panama all year...but except in the hot summer months you will be viewed as a tourist, someone to take advantage of. Out here Fedoras are not that common...the main time you see them is as evening wear, if then.

I live an hour north of SD and have for the past 14 years. Bring the Felt Fedora.

M

Russ

One of the Regulars
How embarrassing

dressed2the9's said:
If you wore the panama people will give you flak and think your a tourist from florida going to the race track

How embarrassing. The only time I ever wore a straw hat in America was when I was in San Diego a few summers ago, visiting my brother. I bought it at some cigar shop and wore it proudly the whole time I was there. It wasn't a Panama hat but could have passed for one at a distance. I had a great time all the same. Wish I could get one of those fish tacos here :)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
How Embarrassing for San Diego

Magus said:
With San Diego its not so much the waether as how you will be responded to. Weather wise you could go Panama all year...but except in the hot summer months you will be viewed as a tourist, someone to take advantage of.
dressed2the9's said:
If you wore the panama people will give you flak and think your a tourist from florida going to the race track, I know I deal with people like this.

Are you guys for real?

If those are the type of people I can expect to meet in San Diego, then perhaps I should re-think my vacation destination. :(

The Fashion Police SD style.

photobyalan said:
Are you guys for real? If those are the type of people I can expect to meet in San Diego, then perhaps I should re-think my vacation destination. :(
*****:p
Dateline San Diego:

You could be assaulted by roving bands of critics! So far the City of San Diego had been able to keep this under wraps but there has been a convergience of critics in SD couty with a focus with in SD city itself. The price of bottled water has shot up dramatically and the Police blotter is filled with report after report of well dressed strangers assaulting men, women and children because of poor style choices and breaking fashion rules. One poor family from Peoria will be appearing on Doctor Phil later this spring, all five including the toddler are in desperate need of therapy after recieving the type of chiding only a decorator can give after 3 big Stoly Martinis.

So far, the SD county district attorney has given one press confrence, in which they are requesting the public's help in tracking down these fashion fiends. Word on the street is his wife was given a true tounge lashing over a "Wnter White' scandel earlier this year. Country and Western clothing stores have been shuttered for nearly a year, and the situation looks grim. Talk of Congressional hearings have been heard at most of the malls this March.

So far only two fashion related deaths have occured, an elderly man was found strangled with his white belt and his white slip on dress shoes were found stuffed in his mouth,a note pinned to his Quiana shirt said he received his just deserts for the "Full Cleveland" noting the paring of white belt and shoes. Another man was found crushed under a bus in a light blue leisure suit and dickie, his note simply said Faux Pas Style Brigade tastefully printed on an all cotton ecrue card.

Red Ruffinsore reporting.

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
Confidence is key

The truth is in San Diego if you know how to wear a hat, wether its fur felt or straw people will not harass you, infact compliment you. They will kook at it as something unique, different, and probably from my experience good. The Furfelt is more common (not really common at all just more common than straw) and people won't assume your a tourist. I wear a Borsalino furfelt fedora every day in SD even to school and a DB suit and people treat me like I'm an every day sight.People in SD wear Jeans and POLO's to go to fancy restraunts. The funny thing about San Diegans They give more compliments about clothing especially hats than anywhere I've been even New York SF or Chicago maybe because Its on heard of. Most likley people will treat you the same. It would just be looked as different and people will know your not from SD if you wear the straw. Even though know one really wears furfelt fedoras it is thought of as more normal, I don't know why. If your confident and know how to wear clothes (hats) It doesn't matter where you go in SD people people will treat you nicely wether its straw or furfelt. Confidence is key, wear a hat on your head, not a costume on your head. Just bring both straw and fur felt. The straw will just stick out more but I'm sure it will be fine. Hope to you see in San Diego my comrade of the Lounge. Hope this has made you feel beter about coming to SD.

Magus

Practically Family
photobyalan said:
Are you guys for real?

If those are the type of people I can expect to meet in San Diego, then perhaps I should re-think my vacation destination. :(

Welll....errrr...yes...I am "for real" :) and was just giving some friendly advice since it was asked for. I try to be kind, friendly, and helpful whenever I can. Come on out, we can share stories and a well mixed martini (gin based as that is the original recipe... ;-) if you ever came out this way. So, don't hesitate.:cheers1: I forward to meeting you.

I do agree with the gentleman in later posts who said that "confidence in your bearing" was the key. San Diego is a huge tourist destination, and with Torrey Pines Golf course among others in the SD area, you get lots of straw hats in those crowds (though I am sure that you have something much classier in mind). Unfortunately the draw to the area also generates those who prey on them. Cons, pick pockets and various lowlifes. They profile those who look the tourist as they consider them to be an easier target. Thus my suggestion. If you carry yourself well and project confidence (a glance at your picture would suggest that you do) then you should have very little to worry about on a trip here.

NOW...with allllll that said. I have a very nice Bailey Straw hat...that I wear...and get compliments on...but...hmmm...now that I think of it...I never have in SD...lol...go figure...perhaps I will have to put it to the test!

M

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Seriously, guys, I was really just looking for advice about the weather. I've been to San Diego several times but all were in the height of summer.

For better or worse, I have reached the age where I don't give a damn about whether someone thinks I'm a tourist (especially if I really am one!), and a lot of people who don't know me assume I'm a cop when they meet me - I don't know why, but they just do- so I'm not really worried about lowlifes bothering me.

FWIW, on the previous occasions I've been there, the people in San Diego seem to be a lot like people everywhere else. Most are good, some are less so. I'm not riding into town on the turnip truck, so I'm not too worried. I just want my head to be comfortable.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Hello, PhotoB,

I accompanied my wife to a conference in San Diego in April 2005. While central Illinois is not exactly the same, climatalogically, as New Jersey, perhaps I can help with an outsider's perspective. We found it quite cool compared to what we were prepared for. Good you're doing your homework, as I am pretty sure we did not. Shorts were really not suitable, and somehow neither of us took a jacket. I don't think I packed or wore a hat, either. I don't remember why, though. Mrs. bought a nice straw while we were there, and we bought one to bring home to our daughter, too. Based on the weather we encountered, though, I would take a lightweight felt if I were to go again that time of year or in the fall (we were advised that September is a great time to visit). Maybe your new Eddie G?? (looks thin and light - is it?)

We were there in the middle of the month - around the 12th or 13th, I think. In summary, my suggestions as they pertain to weather and my experience only, not to style or vintage or taste:

Lightweight felt hat
One pair of shorts (maybe you'll get to wear them)
One pair sandals (sometimes too cool for these, too)
Pants with short sleeve shirts or long sleeves
Any shoes
JACKET, definitely a jacket/windbreaker

It was pretty warm one morning and afternoon when we were walking the gaslamp district. Otherwise, there was almost always a breeze, and if the sun found a cloud, it cooled off significantly.

rip

New in Town
I think the bottom line here is that, since you're from NJ, you've gotto be longing for a time and place to wear your panama, and SD seems made to order for it. I had to force myself to go to Florida last week just so I could wear my panama and my spectators.:cool2:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
rip said:
I think the bottom line here is that, since you're from NJ, you've gotto be longing for a time and place to wear your panama, and SD seems made to order for it. I had to force myself to go to Florida last week just so I could wear my panama and my spectators.:cool2:

That's certainly an interesting theory...

...and I might subscribe to it if I hadn't recently received my "Eddie G" from Art. The truth is, I am going to be a little sad to see the cool weather end because it will mean it's time to put it up for the summer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda