Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Save The Hollywood Palladium

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The Derby was Saved, now it's time to save the rest of Hollywood.

Frank Sinatra and Tommy Dorsey opened the place and now there is talk of pulling it down. It's the bastian of Swing from it's start and It's old Hollywood incarnate.

The building was on the market for 65 Million and that sale didn't go through. It's good timing to get involved and whatever the new owner chances are it could be turned into a parking lot. There are so many places in Hollywood that have been lost to getting in late on these things. It should be a historical landmark. It should be.

This is just the begening. Time and money will need to be put into this effort. There is no unified message or group, though when one arises i will notify all of you.

Hollywood_Palladium.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'm ready with my boxing gloves!

Maybe not that violent, but if all else fails, well, the Batman sound effects come in.

From what I've heard, the Palladium hasn't gotten much business in it's recent years. What we need to do is show that it's still good business! Why would someone name something a landmark that isn't used very often?

It was used in the past for many things, it can be used now for many things!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well... you know what Furvor is what drives people to places like the Palladium. Let's see what they have that draws in people. It's the owners that tackle what they bring to the party. There isn't alot of old school music being played there anymore. I figure in the scheme of things it hasn't got long to live, though it is one of the last Hollywood landmarks that we have. My grandmother uses to dance on that floor.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
From what I've seen in the photos, it's a rather large dance hall. Whether or not it is used as a dance hall, the structure can always be there. It's Sunset Blvd. Look at how many clubs are on that same street. Most of them are closer to Beverly Hills, sure, but to have such a structure as a dance hall on Sunset seems it could still bring in a lot of people. A lot more can be made of it if the structure stays than if it were a parking lot. People should learn to walk in Hollywood anyways. Hollywood was never set up for so many vehicles, I'm sure. That's why when something like this that ultimately takes up space is turned into a parking lot. And since Los Angeles is such a automobile drawn place, (I only wish the red cars were still around just to cut down on naive driving and accidents), the reason things that are demolished into either a parking lot or a shopping mall or a housing development is because of the people. What the place needs to show is that it is still useable as it is. Whether or not it's a dance hall for a Swing crowd, and Disneyland does have the same idea, the structure can be used for anything BUT a parking lot and have better business. Camp Hollywood is still there, aren't they? Look at how many Swing Dance! I could imagine swing dancers either equalling other crowds in numbers such as heavy metallers or rappers or hip hoppers, etc or maybe adding up to more or less. With a little spark the place could go up in flames (a lot of people coming to it)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Well... you know what Furvor is what drives people to places like the Palladium. Let's see what they have that draws in people. It's the owners that tackle what they bring to the party. There isn't alot of old school music being played there anymore. I figure in the scheme of things it hasn't got long to live, though it is one of the last Hollywood landmarks that we have. My grandmother uses to dance on that floor.

Forget about your grandma, I used to dance on that floor.

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL