Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala Fur Felt hats?

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know anything about the Scala Fur Felt 'Venice' Fedoras? They look nice, and the price is pretty good. I have 2 Fur Felt hats both Biltmores, one from Henry the Hatter in Detroit, the other from Hats-Plus in Chicago. I was wondering how the Scala compares in quality? Any info would be appreciated!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I have heard (word of mouth) that the Venice (along with the Roma and a few other models from that line) are decent low to midrange quality fur felt hats that you can get some good wearing out of.

That is all that I have heard, though.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I'd stay away from the Scalas . They are all made in China. The Biltmores are far better hats. Funny thing is , they are both from Dorfman Pacific. They are buying up everyone.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

MisterGrey

Practically Family
The Scala I had hands-on experience with could have been a great product but for a few design flaws. Namely, the sweatband was very thin and pliable, and there was quite a deal of taper to the crown. Their label for an XL in the Sicily also leaves something to be desired; it does not fit up to a 7 5/8, as claimed. It's a shame that, but for a few quality issues that could probably be easily remedied, Scala could be an affordable hat for the "everyman."

HHCassius

New in Town
I'd like to expand the scope of this thread to other reputed cheaper hat brands. What about Jaxon? I find them to be the most affordable, but they actually fit my head better than many Stetsons, Dobbs, and Baileys I see out there. Talking about wool felt fedoras right now.

JimC

New in Town
Good question Bebop! I suspect it goes back to the old "Made in Japan" stigma. There was a time when Japan exported a lot of really junky merchandise but there were Japanese mfgs who produced really good quality stuff too, depended on which factory made it and to what specs. For the most part they have outlived that stigma....it moved to Korea....Indonesia......and China. I'd like to have a stack of Stetson and Optimo hats.......can't afford 'em! I do have a really nice Biltmore but I also have a Scala Venice fur felt, Chinese, that's really not a bad hat for what I paid for it.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Just curious...........Why is "made in China" something to stay away from?

For many people it is just a quick rule of thumb, like an old folk remedy. I don't put any stock in the rule. Despite the presence of nicer hats in my apartment my goto daily fedora is a Stefano, made in China. I've had it for years, super soft, great look, braves all elements and is very comfortable while doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR