Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott jackets

Mark R

New in Town
A question when purchasing a used Schott jacket. If I understand it correctly there are Schott jackets still produced in the US with a second line produced in India which appear to be cheaper and of a lower quality (Very mixed reviews on Amazon). When looking at jackets available on eBay are there indicators that would show if you are purchasing a US jacket or not. Is the fact it states made in the US on a tag enough ?

A question when purchasing a used Schott jacket. If I understand it correctly there are Schott jackets still produced in the US with a second line produced in India which appear to be cheaper and of a lower quality (Very mixed reviews on Amazon). When looking at jackets available on eBay are there indicators that would show if you are purchasing a US jacket or not. Is the fact it states made in the US on a tag enough ?

There is. If you're new to Schott jackets, always look for the Made in USA tag with the USA flag that should be sticking out of the main Schott label. Like this:
a386f92be3661b4bde12982f73e0ee07.jpg

However, be very careful though as China made Schott jackets have a similar looking black tag with the embroidered USA flag but WITHOUT the Made in USA lettering.

Avoid these.

But the difference between the U.S. made & imported stuff is quite obvious, too. Nothing from their main line has ever been made abroad. You're safe when it comes to Perfectos, cafe racers, A-2's, etc. Imported jackets are a mess and barely even resemble the good stuff.

Mark R

New in Town
There is. If you're new to Schott jackets, always look for the Made in USA tag with the USA flag that should be sticking out of the main Schott label. Like this:
a386f92be3661b4bde12982f73e0ee07.jpg

However, be very careful though as China made Schott jackets have the same looking, little, black tag with the USA embroidered flag but WITHOUT Made in USA text. Avoid these.

But the difference between the USA & imported stuff is quite obvious, too. Nothing from their main line has ever been made abroad. You're safe when it comes to the Perfectos, cafe racers, A-2's, etc. Imported jackets are a mess and barely even resemble the good stuff.

Many thanks, would it be safe to assume that a used jacket from the 90s would be a genuine Schott ?

Many thanks, would it be safe to assume that a used jacket from the 90s would be a genuine Schott ?

Possibly, yeah. I don't believe they dealt with imports back then but again, it's best to check for the USA tag. If you're talking about a specific jacket, post the link here, maybe we can help you out.

Mark R

New in Town
Possibly, yeah. I don't believe they dealt with imports back then but again, it's best to check for the USA tag. If you're talking about a specific jacket, post the link here, maybe we can help you out.
Not one specific jacket, there are a number of older jackets available and it’s just about knowing what to look for. Many do appear to have the “ made in USA on the tags and not just the flag.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Not one specific jacket, there are a number of older jackets available and it’s just about knowing what to look for. Many do appear to have the “ made in USA on the tags and not just the flag.

I don't see many Schotts that ARE NOT made in the US. Most of the jackets you'll see used on eBay are Made in USA. As Monitor rightly points out, their staple jackets are Made in the States. Some of the more fashionish jackets they make nowadays may be made overseas. In my experience, it hasn't been an issue buying vintage Schotts. I really don't think they went overseas until fairly recently. I could totally be off on that. Maybe its just the jackets I seek out are styles made domestically but I have never bought a Schott and had ANY reservations that it wasn't American Made. With Schott, in general, the numbered size jackets SEEM to be higher quality than the ones with a S, M, L, XL sizing. Its as if the non numbered sizes are for more fashion off the rack type of jackets or something. Not that they don't sell the numbered ones off the rack as well.......

I'm sorta rambling here but what I'm saying is that the sizing difference is a quality indicator in most cases with Schott. I would keep this factor in mind more so than concerns about it being made overseas. Chances are, you won't see a COOL Schott and have to worry it was made overseas. But you will encounter cool looking jackets at a possibly lower price point and they may not have numbered sizing. The vintage jackets are ALL numbered.

Lastly, Schott has a very informative Forum on its own website. It used to be even better when Gail Hawkins was alive manning the Forum. Plenty of archival questions and answers there and obviously, its a Schott specific Forum so its ALL SCHOTT info. Some of us post there too (I have many times in the past).

Keep in mind most of what I am saying is just my experience but if you're looking at the "right" jackets, you won't have to worry about buying a lesser quality import :cool:.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have a few Schott variants , all bar two USA made with the same tag Monitor showed earlier in the thread.

The 2 mentioned are "Euro-Schott" and are both sized "L" . One is MUCH bigger than the other !
Neither has a country of manufacture label.

The "L" for definite is not consistent like a USA made "L". I have attached photos of both.

One is too small and is in the west Australian classifieds. It is the first jacket NOT being worn in the photos.
I have had many enquiries about it but no sale to date, perhaps I should try the forum classifieds ?
I bought it as long term stored/NOS which it does appear to be !

It will not zip up on me. For sure it is a US "Medium or 40/42". However it is well made and quality.

Both of these were bought in very good condition out of eBay UK , but I won't risk it again , hit or miss sadly !

Whereas anything USA made in 44" from Schott fits me fine. Right off the rack no "custom tweaking" required thankfully.

Schott Highwayman 1.jpg

Schott highwayman 5.jpg

Second Schott "Euro" jacket also sized "L". Quite a warm jacket, my winter wearer if in the car. No zip sleeves.
I call this my "Schott Highwayman" but it probably isn't I am aware of that !

Schott Highwayman coast 1.jpg

Schott Highwayman coast 3.jpg

Schott 6875 Highwayman 6.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few Schott variants , all bar two USA made with the same tag Monitor showed earlier in the thread.

The 2 mentioned are "Euro-Schott" and are both sized "L" . One is MUCH bigger than the other !
Neither has a country of manufacture label.

The "L" for definite is not consistent like a USA made "L". I have attached photos of both.

One is too small and is in the west Australian classifieds. It is the first jacket NOT being worn in the photos.
I have had many enquiries about it but no sale to date, perhaps I should try the forum classifieds ?
I bought it as long term stored/NOS which it does appear to be !

It will not zip up on me. For sure it is a US "Medium or 40/42". However it is well made and quality.

Both of these were bought in very good condition out of eBay UK , but I won't risk it again , hit or miss sadly !

Whereas anything USA made in 44" from Schott fits me fine. Right off the rack no "custom tweaking" required thankfully.

View attachment 296517

View attachment 296518

Second Schott "Euro" jacket also sized "L". Quite a warm jacket, my winter wearer if in the car. No zip sleeves.
I call this my "Schott Highwayman" but it probably isn't I am aware of that !

View attachment 296519

View attachment 296520

View attachment 296526

These are both very nice. I've seen a couple as well, not bad at all but whoever's making these always seems to go a bit overboard with details, especially on the inside. Like 4 pockets in a row! Maybe they're trying to compensate for the USA Schott jackets barely having any pockets at all in the lining. But the China made jackets can be very nice but also very crappy.

In any case, and I may be wrong on this but I've noticed that they're a lot more readily available in Europe than in the US. Most of the stuff Schott Europe website is selling is overseas stuff.

Mark R

New in Town
Thanks for all the advice, looking on Amazon there are photo’s of one Schott jacket where the leather has actually torn and it looks very thin. I found this very surprising which is why I asked on here. I noticed that they were very cheap on Amazon, literally as cheap as a third of the price you would pay for a Schott in the US. £200 for a new Schott has alarm bells ringing.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
If it says made in the USA its for the American market. Also some Japanese and Euro product is made in the USA but for “special” lines for foreign customers. If it does not say made in the USA then it’s not made in USA but sometimes there’s even an American flag tag that doesn’t say made in America like the domestic ones so be careful, if it is not, or does not say Made in USA the product is not made for the American market because it is made by foreign countries manufactures under a License to use the name in their territory. Schott does not sell foreign made coats in America with Few exceptions. Some B-3s were made in South America years ago I believe Gail has said on Schott. They’re 2 completely different animals - USA vs not made in USA. Don’t be fooled or you may be disappointed.

Last edited:

Mark R

New in Town
If it’s not made in USA then the product is not made for the American market . It’s made for the overseas market, it’s not even made by Schott . It is a license Deal to use the name . I am pretty sure Schott may have to approve the design but I’m not really sure about that . They’re 2 completely different animals USA vs not made in USA. Don’t be fooled or you may be disappointed.

good advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot