Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SCHOTT or STERLINGERWEAR PEA COATS

Algarve Nick

New in Town
I'm new to this board and want to buy a new pea coat (not a vintage one). Which of these two brands is the one to go for. I want a trim fit and do not intend to wear a bulky sweater underneath. In fact no sweater will be fine as winter in Portugal is not like NYC etc! However it gets cold in a damp way. Fit is the key here. I do not want a coat which is big at the waist. I am 6 feet 1 and have a 44 inch chest and take a 36 in 501s. I hope someone an be of help.
This is an interesting site.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In my opinion the Sterlingwear 8 button coats look the best. Unfortunately they are no longer cheap and I'm not sure they're worth the current full price. Schott makes heavier coats which are comparable to Sterlingwear's 10 button coats, but I suspect Schott is even more expensive (I haven't checked lately on their prices). Fidelity makes solid pea coats (and probably for Schott) and these are cheaper. I have been looking into this recently and found that most U.S. stores which carry pea coats, irrespective of which brand, are unwilling to ship outside the land of the brave or don't offer returns. Honestly, the coats from these three companies are not very luxurious and I wouldn't pay the enormous expenses to have them shipped overseas. I'm in Canada and the extra costs and hassles aren't worth it in my opinion. Pea coats were never really supposed to be fitted closely, despite modern opinions (old photos show they were worn loose), so if you really want a trim fit coat then I suggest checking out fashion oriented brands. They will have slim fit coats and some will be in good quality.

I realize you don't want a vintage coat but get ready for a bunch of posts telling you that's exactly what you should get. When they post ask them how often they've seen vintage coats in as-new condition in size 44L.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Neither.
Buy Vintage.
They're higher quality than both brands.
I'm sure Pea Coat will chime in soon.
I listened to him and bought a vintage one from the 60's for about $50.
It's the highest quality coat I own.
Lenny

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
+1
I have a Sterlingwear Authentic and a vintage 1966 Kersey, the vintage is the best.
For the trim fitting, you just have to size down, ask the complete measurements as written in MR PEACOAT's guide (the FL member expert).
Cheers,
F68

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Vintage peacoats do seem to stay in remarkably good condition. I looked at one in a London vintage shop in Covent Garden, and though the label showed it was quite obviously old, it looked pristine.

With apologies for repeating what others have said and in spite of your statement that you weren't interested in a vintage pea coat......
as others have noted, vintage pea coats are superior to modern ones.
The kersey wool used in vintage pea coats is warmer, more water/wind proof, less bulky/"finer" in appearance than the melton wool used for the past several decades.
It is not that hard to find vintage pea coats in what is basically "brand new" condition, they hold up so well.
Several months back I purchased a pea coat made back in 1949 that, aside from a bit of sheen around the collar, you could hang in a store and pass off as new.
Toss in the fact that, depending on your size, a vintage pea coat generally costs less than a new one.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy