Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott sizing nomenclature

I've come across some Schotts that list their sizes as "Large" "XL" etc. rather than "42" "44". Are there any differences in these jackets from those with actual numeric sizes? (Not made in the US, different leather thickness/quality, etc.)

I have a lot of Schott's. Generic XL, XXL will always be more vague, and one assumes a true numbered size might be a better line of jacket. Having both, the more expensive ones are numbered, but they are all high quality. They are all true to size, although Schott tells people to "size up" with some models.
I am 6'-4" and one of them is a long model. The others generic 3XL.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I think Butte answered your question completely. The only thing I'd add is Schotts run short. If you're 6' tall or over, Schott is out of the question unless you can get a long length in the model you desire.

IXL

One Too Many
I have a lot of Schott's. Generic XL, XXL will always be more vague, and one assumes a true numbered size might be a better line of jacket. Having both, the more expensive ones are numbered, but they are all high quality. They are all true to size, although Schott tells people to "size up" with some models.
I am 6'-4" and one of them is a long model. The others generic 3XL.

This is not completely true: one of the most expensive Schott jackets is the 618V1, which comes in the generic sizing, which is unfortunate.

Well, I never said all, just a general rule of thumb. And we know more expensive doesn't always mean "better" either. There are lots of reasons why something has $xxx price-tag.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
This is not completely true: one of the most expensive Schott jackets is the 618V1, which comes in the generic sizing, which is unfortunate.

I think that might be a limited edition so perhaps they're testing the waters. I personally would not spend over $100 on anything that's not coming in a numerical chest size. I'm done with Carhartt for that very reason (they recently abandoned numbered sizing).

IXL

One Too Many
I don't have anything with which to back this up, but here is my theory: for jackets that Schott feels will only have a small market, which means low sales volume, it is more cost efficient to have the much more limited inventory and production runs of the generic sizing.
That's my story and I'm stick'in to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats