Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotch Guard? Scout Felt Hat Protector?

jthix

New in Town
I just got my first fur felt (an Akubra Squatter) and so far, it really does well in the rain. Every time it starts to rain while I'm at home, I immediatly grab my hat to go for a walk.

Golden

Familiar Face
what is the consensus on what people use on their fur felts for waterproofing?

Just bought a rabbit beaver blend whippet style fedora.

ty

-j

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I haven't heard of anyone waterproofing their fur felts either. Although some hat manufacturers did have some kind of waterproofing process for their fur felts, like Bradford's "Glyco-Tite" process i.e. I'm assuming they weren't intended for down pours though. But then again, the best water proofing is not to wear your hat in the rain. ;)

Edward

Bartender
Never used any product on any of my hats..... only one I'm considering it is a modern Borsolino, but just a stiffening spray to give the brim a bit more body again....

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
do you plan to bathe in said hat?

-on a side note, there is a bit of a debate as to whether bathing in a thin ribbon would be more appropriate, but we'll leave that for another time.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hats are like most other clothes ... they'll withstand you, being caught in the rain. Suits and dress hats were never made for rain showers, though. An umbrella, protecting both, works for me and many others :)

g.durand

One Too Many
As T Jones mentioned, some manufacturers of old applied some sort of water proofing to their products. I don't know if there has been a discussion on the Lounge about how effective they were.

None of the hats I own have been water-proofed, save for a couple of vintage hats that name some sort of process that the manufacturer applied. Fur felt, either rabbit or beaver or a blend, will generally take a good soaking without much effect. Some hats may shrink, and the sweat bands may shrink if they get wet, but there are ways to keep your hat in good condition if it does get wet. My rule of thumb is not to wear my vintage hats in the rain, only because they are rare and I want to preserve them. Many of the modern hats I have, either mass produced or custom made, have been subjected to rain and didn't suffer much. I have a Borsalino wild/domestic hare blend that I bought back in the '80s that has been worn in rain and snow and sleet more times than I can remember and is none the worse for wear. When I bought it the hatter told me to just wear it and not worry about it, and so I did.

...or borrowed.

05cityroom-hats-blog480-v2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk