Scovill Zipper Question

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jpk_NJ, Jun 24, 2019.

1. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Curious to see if any of you guys can date this zipper. I've never seen a Scovill like it before, especially the nifty mating of bottom box/puller on the main zip. Even has what looks like a Pat# engraved. image2-9.jpeg image1-27.jpeg

Bennarion, Arizor, handymike and 3 others like this.
  2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

No clue but I’d like to see the rest of the jacket as well!

Gamma68 and Monitor like this.
  3. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I've had an Avirex jacket which had the exact same zippers on the pockets and the sleeves. I don't have a clue, though. Post a few pictures of the jacket, it might help plus I'd love to see it, too.

4. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Had a stroke of genius in my research last night. Gave myself my own clue when I read back my post. Searched up the patent # and found it was filed in 1954. Jacket is a simple single rider HD horsehide but has different zips from all others Ive seen. The 70's ones usually had Talon I think. Will post jacket pic when the conditioning is over, right now its absorbing some pecards.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid...1=2728125.PN.%26OS=PN/2728125%26RS=PN/2728125

Gamma68, Monitor and tmitchell59 like this.
  5. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Two light coats of pecards in and it still wants more. Some areas are softening / regaining that more flexible leather feel while others are a bit armor like. It's like they strategically used noticeable thicker hides on the arms. Seems like AMF took Harley in 1969, so Im guessing this jacket is right around then or maybe an old stock from slightly earlier with the AMF Tag. Hoping someone else has one with the same cutout zipper and can clarify. Either way, I think my Cafe Racer hunt is over. This should be the one.

Attached Files:

6. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

7. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

NICE MAN!!! Those AMF sporties are pretty darn rare. Not sure who made them but I think they were phased out when Brooks starting making the AMF jackets for dealerships.

8. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Yep, coolest CR out there.