Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scraps from the past

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This could go into a couple different forums, but I figured this is the most general. A couple of years ago I bought a large box of 78 RPM records in an antique shop in Western NY, and lugged them back home. They've been sitting in the same box ever since But, just to prove that moving can be a blessing in disguise, I bought a set of proper 78 record sleeves and boxes, and started boxing them up. Whoever originally owned these discs was very meticulous about their care. He or she (I'll bet it was a she) neatly placed a piece of newspaper between each record as she stacked them. Each sheet is an exactly cut out 10 inch diameter piece of newspaper from 1942 or 1943. Some are from the October 3, 1943 Jamestown (NY) Post-Journal, and some are from an Oct 42 New York Journal-American. In all there are 60 sheets, and they are tantalizing little fragments of history. I took a picture of the whole pile, and scanned a few of the more interesting ones. I'm posting several of the comics, which are easier to discern, but some of the stories are fascinating, too, even tho most of them are extremely fragmentary.
Here they are:
PostJournalpages.jpg

I suspect the subject of this Camel ad is Joe Foss:
PJ2.jpg

This one is just odd:

PJ3.jpg

Bread is Basic!

PJ5.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More

The latest news from all the fronts:

PJ4.jpg

Hat prices at Carnahan and Shearer's:

PJ1.jpg

Goings on at the local beauty parlor:

PJ6.jpg

One of my favorites. It seems the Bendix Corp, manufacturers of airplane parts (such as magnetos) created this strip as PR. Captain Ben Dix, get it?
Even with half the panel missing, you get the drift.

PJ7.jpg

I'll try to get few more scanned in the near future.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
wow, this is AWESOME. thank you for posting!

my bedroom closets (kind of unfinished in spots) have 1913 newspapers visible in some spots - they were used as insulation. unfortunately they would rip if i tried to remove them though.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You can use moisture to loosen them. You could experiment with a small corner. You might also produce a mushy mess, however. Maybe some pix from right off the wall? Nothing is more of a snapshot of its time than an old newspaper.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
You can use moisture to loosen them. You could experiment with a small corner. You might also produce a mushy mess, however. Maybe some pix from right off the wall? Nothing is more of a snapshot if the time than an old newspaper.

hmm, maybe i'll experiment a little with the moisture. unfortunately there's not enough showing to photograph! it was interesting to learn that my bedroom was finished in 1913 though - the house was built in 1897 but i had a feeling my room was a *little* newer than that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
These are great -- "Right Around Home", by the unjustly forgotten Dudley Fisher, is one of my favorite vintage cartoon series and you never see it reprinted anywhere. A great example of what cartoonists used to be capable of doing before they had to shrink their work down to itty little postage stamp size panels.

See a few more examples (in non-trimmed form!) here -- http://www.animationarchive.org/2007/06/comics-dudley-fishers-right-around-home.html

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
That's an incredible find, dh! Those are great. :)

I have something similar: my father loved the Family Circle strip and cut many of them from the paper and put them into a photo album. Every page is filled and several and there's even more in an envelope. Must be a couple hundred of them.

Lee

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
These are great -- "Right Around Home", by the unjustly forgotten Dudley Fisher, is one of my favorite vintage cartoon series

I'm with you, Lizzie. I wish there were a large-format hardbound collection of those Fisher panels.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have some vintage patterns with some old newspaper to substitute for pieces that were destroyed. I haven't had a good look at them yet.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Jack Armstrong said:
The AAC aviators ad to sell Camels struck a chord with me, since my father picked up smoking Camels as an Air Corps trainee.

He was smart enough to quit in the early Fifties, though.
Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope once speculated on whether free cigs might have killed more servicepeople than died in combat. He thought it very likely they had, in the long run.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_097.html

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Recipes (sort of . . .)

Well, as you'll note from these images, there were no foodies in the forties. The recipes herewith displayed are plain to say the least. In Robert Sherwood's book, "Roosevelt and Hopkins", he describes supper with FDR at the White House. The main course was corned beef hash, and dessert was chocolate pudding. Now I would be in heaven with a supper like that, but fancy it ain't.
Post Toasties at the Waldorf Astoria!
PJ8.jpg

PJ9.jpg

Tangy Prune Punch Cake, (isn't Spry an axle grease by product?):
PJ10.jpg

Pillsbury's Party Point Savers:
PJ11.jpg

And last but not least, Tuna Casserole and Poverty Pudding:
PJ12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members