Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seabiscuit Trainer Tom Smith

RBH

Bartender
While rereading 'Seabiscuit' by Laura Hillenbrand, I thought I would add this tib-bit about trainer Tom Smith, from chapter 3.

...He began showing up at the barn in neat gray suits, dark vest, whipcord trousers, wing tips, and on race days a restrained Republican tie. He had even purchased a camel-hair coat. Topping off the ensemble was, of course, the utterly unremarkable gray felt fedora. Head and hat were inseparable. Given that Smith was not a man of particularly noteworthy appearance, it was probably the hat, not his face, that people recognized. A couple of years later, during a stable trip to New York, Smith decided that he had just about worn the hat to death and left the barn in search of a replacement. He stomped back in, brushing past Howard, four hours later. On his head was an exact replica of the old hat. Obviously in sour spirits, he muttered that he had spent the entire morning scouring the town trying to find a hat for $2.50.

“Couldn’t find one," he grumbled. "Had to get this one."

Howard asked him how much the new hat had set him back.

''Three dollars''

saetn1.jpg

It seemed Tom Smith was just like most of us are now [especially when we are on E-Bay]. On the lookout for a 2 dollar and 50 cent fedora.
This is a great book; if you have not read it give it a shot.

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great excerpt, RBH.

In the small world department, Laura Hillenbrand grew up right next door to me in Bethesda, Maryland. The name had always seemed familiar, but when I saw Laura on the PBS documentary on Seabiscuit, it all fell into place. I think she did a magnificent job of unearthing and telling a truly great story.

I cannot bring myself to erase the PBS documentary off of our DVR, since it is such a wonderful time capsule for vintage hats! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The book is far better than the film. She did an extraordinary job with a great story. Given her illness, it's a remarkable accomplishment.

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Great excerpt, RBH.

In the small world department, Laura Hillenbrand grew up right next door to me in Bethesda, Maryland. The name had always seemed familiar, but when I saw Laura on the PBS documentary on Seabiscuit, it all fell into place. I think she did a magnificent job of unearthing and telling a truly great story.

I cannot bring myself to erase the PBS documentary off of our DVR, since it is such a wonderful time capsule for vintage hats! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, thats neat to know.

scotrace said:
The book is far better than the film. She did an extraordinary job with a great story. Given her illness, it's a remarkable accomplishment.
Very true Scotrace, While I do love the film, when you read a book the mind always plays better.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Tom Smith was my favorite character in the movie. Chris Cooper is an amazing actor.

While watching the movie did anyone else think they were seeing thier Grandfather up on the screen. I did. It brought a tear actually..

My favorite part in the book was at the end when Laura was talking about some of the oddities she encountered while researching. The part about meeting some old stablehand or something out in the desert and listening to an old reel tape that had a few seconds of Red Pollard and George Wolf yelling at each other while riding a race....

What a cool thing......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner