Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seal leather samples for ANJ-4 poll

Which type of leather should I go with for the arm and pocket panels on my ANJ-4

• Seal Vicenza

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Seal Goat

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Seal Jerky Horse.

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Interesting to see the way the votes are stacking up. I was sure it would be the vicenza that'd attract the most love, but the goat seems to be one - anyone got some pics of a seal goat jacket I can see?

AdeeC

Practically Family
They are all nice and make any choice difficult. I would go for the jerky. Just seems more appropriate for a miltary jacket.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Hope that this doesn't expose me as woefully ignorant, but wasn't goat primarily a Navy hide, and unlikely to be used in a USAAF jacket- even the technically "all services" ANJ-4? (Yeah, I know that the A-1 utilized a capeskin goat.. but that was pre-war/ USAAC.)

Er...Cape is a type of sheepskin leather ?

Original goatskin A-2s are quite common. Most original ANJ-4s though have horse/steer trim.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had no idea that steer was used too. So basically, any leather choice is period correct. My issues with the jerky are that it's FQHH, and will add extra weight on a jacket that will be pretty heavy no matter what, but it is also a couple shades lighter than the others, and I'm keen to keep the jacket tied-together tonally.

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
My ANJ goat started to develop almost an overall milk chocolate colour after about 9 years, very nice. My A2 which is India goat has worn in the usual high spots and has more of a coppery tone to those areas. Very subjective and doesn't show well in photos unless you really crank the resolution up, big megabyte files.

Edward

Bartender
Aero Seal Goat (though this is the older stuff, not the newer goathide):

IMG_20120719_095332.jpg

Rubbish shot of the A2, but it reasonably reflects the colour of the jacket, what you can see. It's definitely dark, but only in very low light could it be mistaken for black.

Based on your samples, I can't see a whole heap of difference between the goat and the vicenza - I'd choose one of those two. Probably depends on how you want it to age/ patina - the goat will definitely be subtler on that front.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The basic difference is in sheen and grain. The goat has a shine to it that the vinnie doesn't, which I think is also part of what protects it - I tried a scratch test on the pair and the goat just shrugged off any attempt to mark it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to go with the seal jerky Horse. Everyone's gotten a little too "fashionisty" with the Vicenza and I still consider the goat an ignoble beast. I'll stick with my good old "Murican" horsey.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the enthusiasm for vicenza is that it sits nicely between FQHH and shinki in terms of cost and weight but still has the character and depth of colour of both.

Here's a whole thread with my Aero modified Sunburst, seal goat;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-modified-sunburst.82086/

Your seal goat looks like it's the same as current batch Aero are using - it has the same bitter chocolate colour. Good to hear it was pliable straight out of the box.

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
Vincenza! I'm curious to know how much thicker the V-HH is than the goat. I have a goatskin jacket and after seeing the pics of the V-HH am getting the fever!!

AdeeC

Practically Family
I had no idea that steer was used too. So basically, any leather choice is period correct. My issues with the jerky are that it's FQHH, and will add extra weight on a jacket that will be pretty heavy no matter what, but it is also a couple shades lighter than the others, and I'm keen to keep the jacket tied-together tonally.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the jerky was the mid weight HH used by Aero for A2's and the like.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I voted goat Sloan as I think the colour and grain are perfect from the samples you posted.

I also think that goat is great in that it won't be over the top weight-wise in tandem with the sheepskin.

Goatskin can wear in and patina absolutely marvellously, it's just that it takes a little longer which doesn't fit the want it now people. Have a search on here for Mike1973's goat civvy A-2, it has one of the nicest patinas and best grains you will ever possibly see.

Get the goat and wear the absolute hell out of it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the jerky was the mid weight HH used by Aero for A2's and the like.

You're absolutely right! I've not handled jerky HH very much, and the thing that threw me is that it does look and feel slightly thicker than the goat and vinnie, so perhaps it's somewhere in between FQHH and the other two.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Vincenza! I'm curious to know how much thicker the V-HH is than the goat. I have a goatskin jacket and after seeing the pics of the V-HH am getting the fever!!
Aero's veg tanned goatskin and Vicenza appear to be the same thickness, comparing my three samples (seal goat Pioneer, black goat Maxwell, and russet Vicenza Sheene). The brown jerky HH used for my Mulligan is stiffer, lacks the character of the goat & Vicenza, and doesn't drape nearly as well my goat & Vicenza jackets. I continue to be of the strong opinion that the Vicenza is well worth the upcharge and is my favorite of all skins I have ever seen, keeping in mind I have never seen a Shinki.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot