Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seal leather samples for ANJ-4 poll

Which type of leather should I go with for the arm and pocket panels on my ANJ-4

• Seal Vicenza

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Seal Goat

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Seal Jerky Horse.

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, Just dug into my packet of all kinds of Aero samples and compared my samples of jerky to both several samples of Vicenza and veg tanned goat. I found not much difference in thickness, but all of my jerky samples were very stiff compared to goat and Vicenza, and can see why the jerky does not drape as well as some of the others. Even my brown FQHH Teamster is more flexible than my brown jerky Mulligan. I an unsure whether or not the stiffness of the jerky HH would make a difference when used for the panels of your ANJ-4 but think that it might from looking at ANJ-4 pictures on the Aero website. Anyhow, I have enough doubt regarding jerky HH that I would likely choose between goat and Vicenza for the panels. BTW that ANJ-4 (and Irvin) would be far more suitable for Scotland than N Texas. :D

dan_t

Practically Family
Your seal goat looks like it's the same as current batch Aero are using - it has the same bitter chocolate colour. Good to hear it was pliable straight out of the box.
I would hope so, I purchased it in May of this year & it was made only just before that.
It's a lovely hide to wear, very comfortable from the get go. Also has the added benefit of behaving a bit better in the wet, particularly compared to some of the veg tanned hides (like Vinnie).

BobJ

Practically Family
I just cast my vote for the seal brown jerky horsehide, but think the goat would be fine too. I agree with ChiTownScion that the Vicenza is too elegant and dressy for a utilitarian, wartime bomber coat like this - kinda like wearing patent leather tuxedo shoes to a football game. I have a halfbelt in the seal brown jerky HH. I don't remember if it was stiff at first, but it is my only leather jacket and I wear the heck out of it here on the wet, windy Oregon coast. I've had it for two and a half years now, and for as long as I can remember, my favorite thing about it has been its silky, buttery-soft hand and drape. It would no more stand up on its own than a damp bath towel.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I would go for a light or medium weight hide when facing shearling. Here is some Italian horsehide, similar to what Aero are using, on my ELC redskin and .50 cal jackets.

IMG_2097.jpg

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
What a glorious dilemma! :) So much anxiety and tension in the world, and here we are picking leather! LOL!
I reviewed the photos and have appreciated each and every comment from everyone before I cast my vote - and I voted Vicenza.
I love my ELC RW B-3 and the russet HH panels have worn in beautifully on the creases and have been more than tough enough to deal with all the wear thrown at it for the past 10 years. But they are comparatively quite plain in terms of grain.
I know that Goat is regarded as the toughest hide and it might make sense to place it on the jacket as a high-wear panel, but I really think it's unnecessary and overkill. And as there isn't a war on (with material constraints and you can have whatever you'd like), so I'd opt for a nicer leather that can add an element of class to the jacket. It will wear on the high points and fade in those areas, so it'll lose whatever "fashion" sheen some worry it may have (one I don't think it will have. Use it for a foo-foo jacket and it'll perhaps look that way. Put it on a manly ANJ-4 and set it against the heavy patina of sheepskin, it'll change, I think - and it has a nice grain). It's the one I'd choose and Jerky HH would be my close second vote.
But really Sloan - you can't go wrong though. In any event, you're on to a winner.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I went into this thread thinking goat. Edward's older goat A-2 looks nice. But I'm thinking the seal horse. Having never seen any of these leathers in person, I'm reminded of the ebay listings I tend to gravitate to. Most have been seal jerky horse.

I'd save the Vicenza for a civilian style. You wouldn't go wrong there though.

Stand By

One Too Many
S'funny, but after Nick's comment, I'm re-looking at the photos that you sent, Sloan, and questioning my Vicenza vote; but the more I look at it, the more I prefer it - and think that the extra degree of grain gives it a rugged character and will complement the sheepkin texture and wartime era nicely. Perhaps it's the lighter tone of the HH that I slightly prefer (to add a slightly greater degree of contrast between the colours - and I'd request that if possible) - but not the grain.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Great to hear so many diverse opinions on this subject - I know it's an angels-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin discussion when compared to other more pressing matters, but I like to think that making your mind up is the fun part, so why not involve everyone? HPLA's mixed batch B-3 is monumental - I love the combo, but having tried on a B-3, I've found it difficult to get past the cuffs.
I'm not so keen on the jerky hh, though I get the 'utilitarian look' thing it just doesn't have quite the same low-key cool of the goat - the striations of the grain is amazing, almost bark-like.
Here's a question: why were ANJ-4s only ever made in seal colour? I get the idea of standardisation but it seems very limiting during a war when materials were scarce.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I've jackets in all three hides. For lightweight comfort and beauty... Italian is the way to go BUT, I bought a bootlegger in Jerky on sale a few years back and that hide ages beautifully and is in that sweet spot for me between FQHH and Vicenza. I'd personally go with Jerky.

Worf

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I don't agree with the belief that fleece cuffs get dirty, or at least no more than the rest of the jacket. The backs tend to wear smooth with wear. Shearing jackets can be washed on cold cycle, no spin, with just slight shrinkage.

This original Roughwear is over 70 years old.

0037.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Blimey, don't tell Andrew you put shearling jackets in the washing machine, he'll get the vapours! The potentially for grubby cuffs was one thing but I actually found the way the cuffs sat on me uncomfortable, and when I tried on the ANJ after it, I was struck how easy to wear it was. Fantastic B-3, and in fantastic condition, though!

Edward

Bartender
Here's a question: why were ANJ-4s only ever made in seal colour? I get the idea of standardisation but it seems very limiting during a war when materials were scarce.

I suspect it may be to do with their limited issue... they weren't around for very long, and there weren't many of them put out there before the synthetic jackets (and better-heated cockpits) started to take their place. I imagine if they'd been the standard issue option for a few years, things might have been different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24