Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my next hat

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, stone me at sunrise but Stetson has several hats that fit the bill and I hold that they are as durable as any other unless you plan to swim in it. The Hampton comes to immediate mind as I have a tawny one that is very nice.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, but he said $100 or under. The Hampton shows at $150 from Quality Hats, and I'm sure it's comparable at other dealers. (Maybe you can find one for under $100 at the Hatco Outlet, but most of us aren't anywhere near it...)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Point well taken. I am close to the Outlet and get all my Stetsons there. I forget that mail order and retail prices are much higher. :eek:

carldelo

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Point well taken. I am close to the Outlet and get all my Stetsons there. I forget that mail order and retail prices are much higher. :eek:

You dog, scoring all those sweet off-price Stetsons - a plus to living in Texas. I would have suggested my Ashland, as it has a 2-1/4" bound edge, but is over the price limit and appears to be discontinued. BTW if you mean the felt Hampton, those are discontinued too - a nice lid, though. They've released a straw Hampton lately, it appears, I saw it at VHS - it has a 2-1/4" brim as well, but is in S-M-L-XL sizing.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
avedwards said:
If Akubra is the best modern hatmaker, then why do people still buy hats from other modern makers like Borsalino, Stetson or Christys?

I missed the bit where someone said they were the "best"?

They make good hats, but there are a lot of people who do right now. I would personally recommend Biltmore, but their hats are way out of this 100 dollars or less party.[huh]

There are so many fun hats to wear being made these days.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
carldelo said:
It was only indirectly - see posts 11 and 12 which started the discussion.

That is quite the inference.

I didn't get that from comment 11.[huh]

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
I missed the bit where someone said they were the "best"?
I didn't say they were the best but questioned whether they were. Since I don't have one but am considering one I wondered whether they really are better than other modern hats. I have a Stetson Chatham which is good and if an Akubra was only a little bit better I wouldn't bother with one, but if am Akubra was much better I would.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
i don't think anyone in this thread claimed Akubra to be the best modern-day hatmaker....but we're talking hats under $100.00 here.

Has anyone mentioned the Akubra Bogart? A 64-mm. brim, just a bit under 2 1/2 inches- priced very attractively from Hatsdirect at USD $65.71 plus shipping. Looks like a very nice hat.

anglophile

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
i don't think anyone in this thread claimed Akubra to be the best modern-day hatmaker....but we're talking hats under $100.00 here.

Has anyone mentioned the Akubra Bogart? A 64-mm. brim, just a bit under 2 1/2 inches- priced very attractively from Hatsdirect at USD $65.71 plus shipping. Looks like a very nice hat.

It is a nice hat, but the three month wait is less nice.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
anglophile said:
Still looking, the shipping makes the Bogart $140

Ahhhhh.....yes, that's so- the Bogart is $102.50, shipping by regular airmail is $37.60 for a total of $140.10- IN AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. This equals $90.06 U.S dollars! On the Hatsdirect website, the default setting for the ordering process is in Australian dollars. I think you can set it to automatically convert to USD, or else just do the math the old fashioned way OR use one of the online convertors like this one-http://coinmill.com/AUD_USD.html#AUD=140.10 So that would be the reason Akubras have been such a good deal lately, you see......the old Oz dollar hasn't been doing so well- bad for them, good for us. It's an ill wind etc. etc.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Can I trouble the forum for an opinion, please?

I'm relatively new to the joys of Fedora wearing, but I'm not looking back! In fact I'm contemplating my next purchase (who isn't, right?):D

I love the look of my Fed IV in brown (I know, that pretty much says it all!), and my wife thinks the colour really suits my complexion. But, she prefers the height of my Jaxon wool fedora, though she doesn't like the colour - she thinks it makes me look washed out.

Now I'm thinking of buying another Fed IV in moonstone, to go with the greys of my fairly minimal it has to be said, wardrobe. I also have in mind I'd like a campdraft in silverbelly.....but.....Would something like a Stylemaster suit my face more, being of a similar lower crown? I don't want to buy what doesn't suit my face. While I do have my own opinions and I am man enough to go my own way (I wear a hat in 2014 for gawds sake:D) I'd still like to hear the opinions of other hat wearers. The Fed is a simple centre dent, I tried a C and a diamond bash, but it made it look wider and it didn't seem to suit my thin head!

So the big question for you wonderful, knowledgeable forumites is....
Does my bum look big in this? Oh, no sorry....... Does the height of the fed suit my face? Is it too high for my slim fizzogg? Is the moonstone of Akubras less blue than the grey of my Jaxon wool?

I have spent hours over the last few weeks reading through this forum and I have learnt so much about hats and clothing. I am so glad I stumbled upon this wonderful fount of all sartorial knowledge, thank you:)

So the pics, here I am in all my glory!
Fed IV first
P1010560_zps2a147db0.jpg
P1010561_zps8b2ab546.jpg
Jaxon wool C-crown
P1010562_zps0ee0c0d0.jpg
P1010563_zpsea1abeef.jpg

All advice and comments taken, thanks:cool:
ps I don't usually wear a t-shirt with a jacket, in fact I don't often wear a t-shirt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy