Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my next hat

Kwekwe Karu

New in Town
Thanks for the link to the monk. $88 fur felt a lot more palatable than the $150 for the Wool Pork Pie from Goorin Brothers

Jacora

Familiar Face
What to do for hat number 2

So I've been obsessively collecting all the information I could about hats for a few weeks, and finally made my first purchase. You can see me in my new Banjo Patterson here.

Now I'm thinking about hat #2. (and trying to tell myself I'll be able to stop at two - at least for a while).

Here's what I think I know:

I look better in wider brims. My Banjo is 70mm (2-3/4in) and it seems to be a good size for me. I had tried on a hat with a 2-1/8in brim a few weeks back and I thought it looked too small.

I have a round face and think I need a a decent crown height because of this. The Banjo again seems fine in this regard, but I don't think I'd want to go any shorter - certainly a pork-pie would look wrong on me.

I think I like a small amount of crown taper and a C type bash. But I'm not certain because I haven't been able to try on something like a Fed IV to see how that would look. The nearest real hattery to me is an hour and a half drive, so I've been trying to make hat decisions without being able try things on.

Here's what I want and don't want:

I only wear a tie about six times a year. Something that looks too much like it belongs with a suit will not work for me. Given my age, any grey fedora can scream "businessman" when I wear it, so I'm very wary of that. I'm a musician, and would like something that would work on stage as well as going out at night. Not too outrageous but certainly not too staid. The Banjo certainly works down to the t-shirt end of the casual spectrum, but for hat number 2 I'm looking for something dressier without being businesslike or formal.

Given the above, I think I want no more than a 1-1/2 inch ribbon, and no less than a 2-1/2 inch brim.

To give it more flair and less of a conservative vibe, I think I'd like to go with something blue. Or at least a blue ribbon. I've got a pale complexion with blue eyes and almost every shirt I own has blue in it. When dressing up to go out it's usually black pants or dark blue jeans, black shoes and belt, and a button down shirt with some amount of blue in it. More likely a leather jacket than a sport coat.

To be honest, I've kind of already fallen in love with Art Fawcett's VS Bobby Blue. Perhaps this is all just to try and justify the expense. But I'd really love to hear opinions on alternatives that might fit the bill.

Thanks!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
So I've been obsessively collecting all the information I could about hats for a few weeks, and finally made my first purchase. You can see me in my new Banjo Patterson here.

Now I'm thinking about hat #2. (and trying to tell myself I'll be able to stop at two - at least for a while).

Here's what I think I know:

I look better in wider brims. My Banjo is 70mm (2-3/4in) and it seems to be a good size for me. I had tried on a hat with a 2-1/8in brim a few weeks back and I thought it looked too small.

I have a round face and think I need a a decent crown height because of this. The Banjo again seems fine in this regard, but I don't think I'd want to go any shorter - certainly a pork-pie would look wrong on me.

I think I like a small amount of crown taper and a C type bash. But I'm not certain because I haven't been able to try on something like a Fed IV to see how that would look. The nearest real hattery to me is an hour and a half drive, so I've been trying to make hat decisions without being able try things on.

Here's what I want and don't want:

I only wear a tie about six times a year. Something that looks too much like it belongs with a suit will not work for me. Given my age, any grey fedora can scream "businessman" when I wear it, so I'm very wary of that. I'm a musician, and would like something that would work on stage as well as going out at night. Not too outrageous but certainly not too staid. The Banjo certainly works down to the t-shirt end of the casual spectrum, but for hat number 2 I'm looking for something dressier without being businesslike or formal.

Given the above, I think I want no more than a 1-1/2 inch ribbon, and no less than a 2-1/2 inch brim.

To give it more flair and less of a conservative vibe, I think I'd like to go with something blue. Or at least a blue ribbon. I've got a pale complexion with blue eyes and almost every shirt I own has blue in it. When dressing up to go out it's usually black pants or dark blue jeans, black shoes and belt, and a button down shirt with some amount of blue in it. More likely a leather jacket than a sport coat.

To be honest, I've kind of already fallen in love with Art Fawcett's VS Bobby Blue. Perhaps this is all just to try and justify the expense. But I'd really love to hear opinions on alternatives that might fit the bill.

Thanks!

No justification needed. You like it...? You BUY it!

I know New Haven is about an hour and a half from Providence, but at this juncture in the process you would benefit HUGELY by making your way there to Delmonico Hatters. By trying hats on you will be able to see how each variable works (or doesn't) for you. The guys there know from hats, and can help navigate the process. Once you have established what features and dimensions you like, then give Art Fawcett a call for the next one. Good luck, have FUN!!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I know New Haven is about an hour and a half from Providence, but at this juncture in the process you would benefit HUGELY by making your way there to Delmonico Hatters. By trying hats on you will be able to see how each variable works (or doesn't) for you. The guys there know from hats, and can help navigate the process. Once you have established what features and dimensions you like, then give Art Fawcett a call for the next one. Good luck, have FUN!!

YES, YES and YES! Its worth it. And when your done go to Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana. Its worth it too!

Jacora

Familiar Face
Thanks hatsRme. I actually got the Banjo Paterson from Delmonico online. But I haven't been able to come up with a free Saturday to head there in person. If they had an Akubra Adventurer I would feel more urgency to go there. I'd really like to know how that size hat would look on me. They carry the Stylemaster, and I think trying that on would be informative. Is there something else you know they carry that you think would make it worth the trip?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
thanks hatsrme. I actually got the banjo paterson from delmonico online. But i haven't been able to come up with a free saturday to head there in person. If they had an akubra adventurer i would feel more urgency to go there. I'd really like to know how that size hat would look on me. They carry the stylemaster, and i think trying that on would be informative. Is there something else you know they carry that you think would make it worth the trip?

Yes! Pepes Pizza!

Don't worry... there are puh-LENTY to see and try! Don't limit yourself to the widest brim (unless you're planning a trip to visit Joao). Lots of the new Stetsons are totally amazing with brims and crown dimensions to make everyone happy. The Absynthe, the Racine, Grand Central all come to mind, but try 'em all on. Find your "look." Go early so you won't be rushed.

THEN go to see Frank (Pepe's) for pizza. But be warned, the Yale a capella singing troupes used to frequent the place. It won't be quiet!

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"If they had an Akubra Adventurer"

Please note that the Akubra Adventurer sold by Australian retailers is a different hat from the Akubra Adventurer imported by David Morgan and sold by them and other U.S.A. retailers.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"Is there something else you know they carry that you think would make it worth the trip?"

If I traveled that far to try out hats, I'd make a day of it and try out everything that they had that even mildly appealed to me, fur felts, tweeds, panamas, whatever.

Jacora

Familiar Face
OK, OK, it looks like a road trip's in my future. But it won't stop me from seeking other opinions in the mean time :)

I wish it was easier to get a feel for color on the net. Most of the Banjo pictures I saw made it look light tan, but in real life it's much darker and grayer. The picture I posted looks on my monitor the same way it looks in the mirror, which is a much nicer color than that hat's official marketing pictures.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
"Is there something else you know they carry that you think would make it worth the trip?"

If I traveled that far to try out hats, I'd make a day of it and try out everything that they had that even mildly appealed to me, fur felts, tweeds, panamas, whatever.

You could spend all day at Delmonico. And wait all night to get into Pepe's... Call Jeff! They should have the Stylemaster and other Akubra fur felts in stock.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"I wish it was easier to get a feel for color on the net."

Yet another reason for visiting a real hat store.
The next best thing is to get a hold of actual hatters' swatches. Third best is see color swatches or samples in a hatter's catalog or on their website.
Sellers' photographs of hats, and other apparel, are often wildly inaccurate as to color.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'll pipe in and agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. At this stage in your hat adventure (addiction?) you need to find a brick-and-mortar and spend some time studying yourself in the mirror with different hat styles on your head. It would also help to have someone with you who will give an honest assessment and whose opinion you trust. Also, have you thought about a straw?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
"I wish it was easier to get a feel for color on the net."

Yet another reason for visiting a real hat store.
The next best thing is to get a hold of actual hatters' swatches. Third best is see color swatches or samples in a hatter's catalog or on their website.
Sellers' photographs of hats, and other apparel, are often wildly inaccurate as to color.

Many hatters will take pictures of the actual hat you'll be getting. Some will actually go outdoors to shoot the pic in natural light as well as a pic of the hat under indoor lighting. They're usually pretty accurate. Dont forget to look at all the various images right here on the Lounge. You'll get a good balanced idea of the accurate color.

If I traveled that far to try out hats, I'd make a day of it and try out everything that they had that even mildly appealed to me.

You got that right! I ventured there from the Boston area when I first began my affliction some years ago. Drove them crazy with all the lids I tried on, (although they had less in my size then) yet they were very gracious hosts.

ingineer

One Too Many
Jacora;
I think your first instinct is the correct one.
Go with the VS or a made to order.
A little more brim helps with all the stage lights.
I wish i had known that i could have bought a bespoke hat sooner.
Hmmm Black cherry, that looks interesting, that might suit you.
this below is Not Art's but Cane rod makers

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Jacora;
I think your first instinct is the correct one.
Go with the VS or a made to order.
A little more brim helps with all the stage lights.
I wish i had known that i could have bought a bespoke hat sooner.
Hmmm Black cherry, that looks interesting, that might suit you.
this below is Not Art's but Cane rod makers

My original thought exactly. Re: VS. You "love" it... You BUY it! Jacora was wanting to xplore options though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy