Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my next hat

anglophile

One of the Regulars
This might be an impossible question, but does anyone know of a grey/light grey fedora in fur felt with a brim size of around 2 1/4(could be a little bigger).
All for less than $100?
Thanks for the help

carldelo

One Too Many
More

Well, the porkpie might not be for you (or me, for that matter), but there are a couple of Jaxon hats that might fit the bill:

Detroit, 2-1/4" brim:
http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_detroit_fedora.html

Bogart, 2-3/8" brim:
http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_bogart_fedora.html

Akubra hats are a good deal these days with the exchange rate - I just ordered a Stylemaster which was $60, plus shipping ($12 for a single hat). It has a 2-1/2" brim, but there are other Akubra that fit your specs - have a look:
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=535

Also, Christy's fur felts are worth looking at. I ordered a Marlborough (2-1/2" brim) on Friday which came to $96 with shipping. The Epsom, about halfway down the page, has a 2-1/4" brim:
http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Fur Felts

There are good ones out there in your price range, happy shopping.

PS - an Akubra or Christy's is going to be higher quality than a Jaxon. As you are clearly an Anglophile, I suggest the Epsom in light gray.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
You should try HornetsHats.com, and look at the selection of Fur Felt hats by Christy's.

Great hats, good prices. Brim lengths right at the 2 1/4 mark, like you want.

carldelo

One Too Many
anglophile said:
I think the Akubra's are front runners.

The hat that I wear all the time is a Christy's trilby(the Epsom). Great hat

Well, I guess I nailed it, as you already have the hat I suggested. I'm glad to hear you like it, as the Marlborough seems very similar - I went back and forth with the Epsom, but the bound brim swayed me, and I am also trying to work up to slightly wider brims (I have two 2-1/4" brims already). Have you settled on a specific Akubra?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll jump on the Akubra bandwagon. I just got my mid-gray Stylemaster about a week ago (my 2nd Stylemaster) and it's fantastic!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
If Akubra is the best modern hatmaker, then why do people still buy hats from other modern makers like Borsalino, Stetson or Christys?

I can only answer for myself. I like thinner and dressier felt than the Western/ Cowboy/ Australian weight. I have an Akubra Federation Deluxe, which I wear and love. I also have a Stetson Pinnacle (beaver) which is far dressier, several Stetson Temples (enough to be a small collection), a couple of Dobbs fur felts, one Knox, and a Christy's foldaway (all manufactured within the last three years). Each one has its own character, and a time when it is just the right hat. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
If Akubra is the best modern hatmaker, then why do people still buy hats from other modern makers like Borsalino, Stetson or Christys?

Akubra's not necessarily "the best modern hatmaker". But at the moment, their hats represent a tremendous value compared to other makers. That they have a great policy of making a wide range of styles/colors available at no additional cost (though at additional wait time), and have been responsive to customer interest in modified styles, shows that they aren't resting on their reputation. Their hats aren't luxury items - that they primarily make outback hats shows through - but they are stylish and well-made... and extremely tough.

But not everybody knows this - or necessarily cares - so there's still plenty of business for other makers. (Hey, I have been wearing hats for decades, but I had never heard of Akubra hats in the days before the Internet.)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I am in no way knocking the Akubra's or any other ones mentioned but this sounds along the lines of what you are looking for.....

Fletch found these from England but I don't think anyone has seen one in their hands or on their noggin yet.. Sounds good though and in your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Cla...ihZ002QQcategoryZ1060QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

21mgqo8.png

carldelo

One Too Many
I've gotta agree with Dr. S. - Akubra are so cheap right now they're hard to resist. But I'm not going to throw out my Stetsons (5 and counting), nor my 20 year old, too-small Christy's. They're all quite different, and there's no need to pick a winner, is there? The more brands out there, the more excuses there are to buy more hats, especially as vintage lids conspire to elude me. As Anglophile already has a Christy's, I think an Akubra is called for, but not necessarily because it is the best.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a bit bigger than you said you wanted, and it's dimensional: 2-3/4" front and back and 2-1/2" on the sides.

The Stylemaster is better choice if you're looking for less brim, being 2-1/2" all around, and with a classy bound edge. And it just became available in Moonstone from Hats Direct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy