Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my next hat

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you like what you see from Art give him a call and see what he can come up with for you. I have four and you will not regret it. If you want to keep with Akubra the Squatter is a good option.
Johnny
*Edit* or Campdraft would fit the bill as well.

Last edited:

Jacora

Familiar Face
Thank you everyone. As a new member I couldn't be more pleased with the number of responses my post has gotten in a few hours. You folks are great.

ingineer: The VS post I linked to showed the Dark Cherry first, but the pictures of the "Bobby Blue" are in the same post further down - don't know if you saw that. I do like the blue one in your pic - what are the dimensions of that?

jonnycanuck: I wish Akubra had more colours (spelled Canadian fashion just for you :) ). I've toyed with the idea of a dark grey Akubra with a ribbon replacement for blue. I wonder what my Banjo would look like in graphite with a ribbon like the one in ingineer's pic.

What's the ballpark for cost of replacing a ribbon with a custom color?

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
OK, OK, it looks like a road trip's in my future. But it won't stop me from seeking other opinions in the mean time :)

I wish it was easier to get a feel for color on the net. Most of the Banjo pictures I saw made it look light tan, but in real life it's much darker and grayer. The picture I posted looks on my monitor the same way it looks in the mirror, which is a much nicer color than that hat's official marketing pictures.
I bought my first two proper hats last week. I did so at a shop that has been selling hats since 1923.

They where a great help in selecting the right size. One centimeter or 1/8 of an inch can make a lot of difference in how a hat fits.

Apart from that I was surprised at how different hats look on your head instead of on a shelf or website.

I suppose this is less important when you're buying hat nr 10 [emoji3]

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I agree with your assessment about brim and crown, and I think a blue would look nice on you. But . . . a deep maroon like the Nighthawk on the page you linked would make those blue eyes pop and the reflection would give your skin a warmer tone.

You're a musician: you can use a little edge.

BTW, let me know where you play. Might stop by with my wife some evening.

Best regards,
Roger

Last edited:

ingineer

One Too Many
Thank you guys
The CRM is black, it is one of my two stingys that I own
75 mm by 70mm brim 120mm crown.
Yes my early knowledge of the Wasteland got me through the dreaded English classes that I had to take in University. Therefore quite important to me. It was too obscure for the young teachers to argue with me. I am just a cultural deprived Engineer.

emigran

Practically Family
You will NEVER regret a bespoke hat... I have 6 VS beauties and one more on the way... Just keep looking and enjoy "our hobby"...

Jacora

Familiar Face
So... I went to Delmonico yesterday. Very cool place. Jeff is incredibly nice. Definitely learned some surprising things.

Since my Banjo has a 2-3/4 brim (70mm), I assumed I wanted a large brim and tall crown in a more classic fedora style. But to my surprise the Stetsonian and the Stratoliner I tried both seemed too big brim and crown wise. The hat I really liked was the Akubra Stylemaster. I had thought this hat would seem too small, but to the contrary it's just right. Even though the wider brimmed Banjo also seems just the right size for its shape. I even liked the Stetson Whippet with 2-3/8 brim in black. But the slightly larger StyleMaster won out. If only they made it in blue!

I'm thinking now of getting the Stylemaster and perhaps changing the ribbon to something blue. AustralianGear shows the StyleMaster with a blue feather that I think would be a nice touch too.

My girlfriend got a nice Kangol hat while we were at Delmonico, and I had gotten my Banjo from them online last week, so I didn't feel too guilty for leaving there without purchasing a new one yesterday.

Looking into it today, it seems I can get the Stylemaster from EA delivered for about $108 US. That's kind of hard to pass up compared to $385+ for a custom made blue fedora. Makes paying for a ribbon change seem more reasonable too. Any suggestions on what color blue ribbon to go on the carbon gray Stylemaster and where to get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy