Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking double-breasted 6x1 suit supplier...

LZeitgeist

New in Town
Greetings, folks... found this place from a link at IndyGear. First-time poster (here), so here goes...

I'm trying to find a new suit in which to get married in September, 2008.

I'm looking for a sharp-looking charcoal grey double-breasted suit - (maybe tone-on-tone striped rather than obvious pinstripes), fabric with a nice sheen to it - but what I'm running into is that the current fashion seems to be 6x2 buttons (6 buttons with 2 buttonholes for closure), but the jackets I used to wear (that don't fit me anymore) were 6x1 and looked a LOT better on me.

I've searched and found places selling 6x2, but it seems like NOBODY is doing 6x1 anymore.

Can a 6x2 be retailored easily to be a 6x1? Seems like it'd be complicated and expensive.

Can anyone here guide me to a source for 6x1 double-breasted suits with a nice selection of fabrics/colors?

Thanks in advance...

Edward

Bartender
If you can be certain of getting your measurements sorted, might be worth dropping Indy Magnoli a line www.magnoliclothiers.com. Other than that, there are a range of m2m options around, though they will be a more modern design with lower rise in the trousers and so on...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I can't answer your question but I'll give you an alternative.

You could get a 6x2 but only button the bottom button as seen below.
AA.jpg

This was a popular way of wearing 6x2s in the Golden Era.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If a 6x2 DB suit is of reasonable quality, the lapels can be steam rolled down to the bottom button. All you'll need is a button on the inside bottom row if it's not already there.

The only differences in appearance would be a visible buttonhole interrupting the blade of the lapel, and the slight inward stance of the middle buttons as compared to an off the rack 6x1, where they're nonfunctional and set in a straight vee-line with the top and bottom buttons.

35_2.JPG
<-6x2 DB
a8_2.JPG
<-6x1 DB

LZeitgeist

New in Town
thunderw21 said:
You could get a 6x2 but only button the bottom button as seen below.

This was a popular way of wearing 6x2s in the Golden Era.

Hmmm, interesting...

In order to wear it in that style, would I iron out the crease in the lapel and recrease it to hold that appearance? That's what it appears in the pic, although it *is* just an illustration rather than a photo...

Thank you both for the input. We may be onto something here...

LZeitgeist

New in Town
Fletch said:
If a 6x2 DB suit is of reasonable quality, the lapels can be steam rolled down to the bottom button. All you'll need is a button on the inside bottom row if it's not already there.

The only differences in appearance would be a visible buttonhole interrupting the blade of the lapel, and the slight inward stance of the middle buttons as compared to an off the rack 6x1, where they're nonfunctional and set in a straight vee-line with the top and bottom buttons.

35_2.JPG
<-6x2 DB
a8_2.JPG
<-6x1 DB

Interesting... since it's a more formal event, I wouldn't want to come off as looking too casual about it, but since that's truly a vintage style, then there's precedent for it...

Thank you...

(And thank you also to the poster with the info for Indiana Magnoli... didn't wish to leave you out of my appreciation.)

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Ironically, I'd lke the 6 x

Crap. Fumble-fingered the headline. It's going to be a good day 'Tater.

This is probably no help to you, but I have picked up a number of very nice 6 X 1 DB's on ebay (AKA "Our Favorite Auction Site") for very little coin. You might start looking there. Something is likely to show up in your size and to your liking by September.

Ironically enough, I found those suits while looking for a good 6 X 2. I have yet to find a 6 X 2 for a reasonable price.

Good hunting.

Mark

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
LZeitgeist said:
Hmmm, interesting...

In order to wear it in that style, would I iron out the crease in the lapel and recrease it to hold that appearance? That's what it appears in the pic, although it *is* just an illustration rather than a photo...

Thank you both for the input. We may be onto something here...

No need for ironing or any alteration. Just take a 6x2 jacket (a late-1940s/early-1950s one shown below) and button only the bottom one. If the fabric is heavy and 'springy' the lapel will roll right over.

DB001.jpg

A few seconds later...

DB002.jpg

Edit: I've actually done the opposite of what you want. I took a 6x1 and turned it into a 6x2. There was a thread about it a while ago.

LZeitgeist

New in Town
Thank you all very much for the input... I'll be stopping by the single store in town that I found 6x2 (and other) DB suits at to see how the bottom-button method looks in person... hopefully it's a simple solution to the situation. :)

I think my fiancee would rather I continued to look for an actual 6x1, but I'm still going to see how it looks on me before I decide...

Many thanks and virtual martinis for those who have chimed in...

Bugsy

One Too Many
LZeitgeist said:
Greetings, folks... found this place from a link at IndyGear. First-time poster (here), so here goes...

I'm trying to find a new suit in which to get married in September, 2008.

I'm looking for a sharp-looking charcoal grey double-breasted suit - (maybe tone-on-tone striped rather than obvious pinstripes), fabric with a nice sheen to it - but what I'm running into is that the current fashion seems to be 6x2 buttons (6 buttons with 2 buttonholes for closure), but the jackets I used to wear (that don't fit me anymore) were 6x1 and looked a LOT better on me.

I've searched and found places selling 6x2, but it seems like NOBODY is doing 6x1 anymore.

Can a 6x2 be retailored easily to be a 6x1? Seems like it'd be complicated and expensive.

Can anyone here guide me to a source for 6x1 double-breasted suits with a nice selection of fabrics/colors?

Thanks in advance...

Have you considered having one custom made. Then you could choose. Try www.mytailor.com and see if any of the patterns are what you're looking for.

LZeitgeist

New in Town
Bugsy said:
Have you considered having one custom made. Then you could choose. Try www.mytailor.com and see if any of the patterns are what you're looking for.

Yes, the J-9 is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's not apparent how to order a jacket... they seem to list everything else for ordering.

Are you experienced with the site? Am I missing something you might be familiar with to order a jacket/pants combo?

Justdog

Practically Family
DB

Hi:

Just curious,what is the style year were talking about here, pre war 2?
What is the styling difference purpose? To show more open V?

LZeitgeist

New in Town
I'm not sure of the timeline of the styles, but I prefer the 6x1 style because it shows more tie, and the angles of the cut of the jacket look less blocky on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy