Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking fit feedback

Gamma68

One Too Many
I received my AVI LTHR capeskin A-1 from Denmark earlier this week and have been wearing it around the house daily to see what kind of patina develops over time. However, I'm becoming increasingly concerned about fit--particularly tightness across the upper back (shoulder blades) when reaching forward. Even as I sit and type this, if I place my arms horizontally across my chest and bend at the elbows, I'm feeling uncomfortable tightness across the back.

My wife thinks I'm nuts and the fit is fine. Then again, she isn't the one wearing the jacket.

I've never owned an A-1 before. I'm not sure if this is how one is supposed to fit, or if the capeskin will stretch somewhat over time. So I wanted to ask if my issue is endemic to the A-1 or if it's due to the design of this particular jacket. Photos and measurements are below. Thanks in advance.

Tagged size 40
Shoulders, seam to seam: 18.5"
Chest, pit to pit: 45"
Sleeve from shoulder hem: 23" (25.5" w/knits)
Pit hem to bottom hem: 12"
Bottom hem width: 38"
Length from collar seam to bottom hem: 22" (24.5" w/knits)

AVI_014.JPG

AVI_015.JPG

AVI_3.JPG

AVI_016.JPG

AVI_017.JPG

AVI_018.JPG

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It seems like a large 40 or 42. Specs don't seem off but it has a very unique angle when arms are lifted. Maybe something to do with the jacket's particular tailoring? Someone here would know.

Peacoat

Bartender
I think it is a good fit. The tightness across the back should resolve as it breaks in. Do a lot of stretching of the shoulders across the back.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I'd say it looks perfectly normal. To get a really unrestricted easy arm reach forward you would have to have a lot more hide in in back panel which would billow out when the arms were at rest. Just enjoy, the reach will ease a bit with wear.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Looks fine, bit loose at the back, maybe a bit tight around the belly, but it's not awful. The arm holes look quite low, which will make it feel a bit tight when you swing your arms forward. It'll mould to your body shape.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks for all the feedback, fellas. It's my first "brand new" leather jacket, and with no bi-swing back or previous experience with jacket break-in, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I'll continue wearing it and breaking it in. I'm looking forward to seeing how the grain becomes revealed as it acquires patina.

Peacoat

Bartender
Actually graining and patina are two different things. The grain will be revealed with movement of the hide. It is often called the popping of the grain. Patina develops with wear on the surface of the hide.

Also, you stated the p2p is 45". Doubt that is accurate. The p2p is measured by taking the width across the chest (front) from just under one armpit to just under the other armpit with the hide stretched tight and then released when the measurement is taken. It should not be doubled when giving the p2p measurement. This only induces error. It should be expressed as inches and a fraction of an inch. The p2p on your jacket is probably 22.5". When giving the measurement of your chest, it should be taken all the way around the chest (wearing just a T-shirt) and expressed as a whole number and a fraction of a number, such as 38.25". Try to be accurate with your measurements to 1/4 of an inch.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Fit looks good, wouldn't size up in it just for more space at the upper back. Doesn't look off on the pictures either. In fact, looks like a good fit. :)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks good - endure a little now and you'll really enjoy it more later on. I agree it seems tight, probably due to tailoring, when you raise your arms. But with them down, it's more than fine, a tad loose in fact. Wear it, keep it on your body as much as possible, and it will conform! :)

Gamma68

One Too Many
Actually graining and patina are two different things. The grain will be revealed with movement of the hide. It is often called the popping of the grain. Patina develops with wear on the surface of the hide.

Also, you stated the p2p is 45". Doubt that is accurate. The p2p is measured by taking the width across the chest (front) from just under one armpit to just under the other armpit with the hide stretched tight and then released when the measurement is taken. It should not be doubled when giving the p2p measurement. This only induces error. It should be expressed as inches and a fraction of an inch. The p2p on your jacket is probably 22.5". When giving the measurement of your chest, it should be taken all the way around the chest (wearing just a T-shirt) and expressed as a whole number and a fraction of a number, such as 38.25". Try to be accurate with your measurements to 1/4 of an inch.

Allow me to clarify things a bit.

Yes, the pit-to-pit measurement is 22.5" taken exactly as you described. I use a tailor's measuring tape and not a carpenter's metal tape, yardstick or something similar.

I'll edit my original post to reflect this, as someone else might be interested in this model jacket. For $263.20 (with free shipping) I think this is a solid buy for an entry-level A-1, even if the knits aren't correct and the backing buttons are plastic.

And yes, I know patina and "grain popping" are two different things. I meant I look forward to seeing those develop more or less simultaneously as I continue to wear it and break it in.

EDIT: Oops, looks like I can't edit my original post for some reason. Well, those who have read this far will know what the pit-to-pit measures.

Peacoat

Bartender
You should be able to edit as your post is current, like this afternoon. Look just under the text, not off to the right where the Quote and Reply buttons are, but below the text, just to the right of your avatar.

You are right, this is a solid buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails