Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking recommendations for modern warm weather fur felt fedoras

MattJH

One Too Many
We're about two months away from Philadelphia migrating from its usual bone-chilling and frigid winters to its usual morbidly oppressive humid summers. A hat is a must for me in the warmer months because of both medical as well as preferential reasons, but I'd strongly prefer wearing felt over straw.

If I had a choice, I'd obviously go vintage here (a Champ Featherweight or the various "fly" / "bantam" / "foam" weights over the years), but I can't find any in 7 5/8 or 7 3/4. I've owned both an Akubra Fedora/Sydney and an Akubra Stylemaster, both of lighter felt, but they weren't quite light enough. At least not for Philadelphia summers.

Question #1: If you wanted to get a modern fur felt hat that is also lightweight and meant for warmer weather, which would you get?

Question #2: If you have a vintage lightweight hat in my size that you don't wear or care about, would you be interested in selling it or trading? No thin ribbons, please.

MattJH

One Too Many
By the way, I just emailed Vintage Silhouettes for the first time ever.

My goal: An all-purpose, every day summer beaver-felt hat.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Though I don't own one yet, I've heard the really nice Panama hats feel like linen. I know you said that you prefer felt over straw, but you may want to collect some opinions on real Panama hats (vs the straw hats that you typically see on the golf course).

I plan on getting a Panama this spring. It's not quite warm enough yet here in Wisconsin. :)

MattJH

One Too Many
I have two hats from PanamaBob and a Koa Straw from Stetson. I just prefer felt.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DJ

The LL Bean Moose River may point you in the right direction. I had one when I lived in Florida. It did not work for me I needed Panamas.

Up here in Massachusetts/New York/ New Jersey the Moose River would be just fine. Just a thought[huh]

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
How about an Akubra Casual or Traveller. They're both packable, so they're made of the lighter weight pliofelt, are unlined, and have a cloth sweatband. You could create a stencil (I've seen others do this on the FL) pattern of vent holes and use an awl to vent the hat yourself. I wouldn't think holes in felt need reinforcement; several vintage summer weight fedoras were ventilated like that.

The Traveller is sort of safari style with a 3" downturn brim. The Traveller is a snap brim fedora.

duggap

Banned
Several of us here at the lounge got the Artlite hats from Art. They are really nice light weight hats. I wear mine in summer and winter. He will do it as you wish. I chose to get mine lined. If you emailed Art at his web site he usually returns an email the same day. When most of us got them he only had natural color. I understand he has several choices now in the light weight. Good luck getting what you want. And get ready to be spoiled.;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
cooncatbob said:
So I'm waiting on the mailman and he drives up stick stuff in my box and drives off. I walk out disappointed then he back up and says I saw you and remember i have a package for you. Instant joy, it's my new hat.
526685529_78e0b0b17a.jpg

526685521_14e022a659.jpg

526709263_66bc147b9d.jpg

Ricbob said:
I have been lucky enough to pick up several new hats from Art Fawcett over the last month or so. The first is a Midnite Blue version of Arts Sportaire. The second is one of the Art-lite feather weight hats in Natural color.

I love both hats but i have to tell you that the Art-lite hats are simply off the charts nice. This hat is absolutely the most comfortable hat i have ever owned and IMHO opinion just look fabulous.

Art is a master of his craft and just a joy to deal with.

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
I am posting these on Duggap's behalf. He can tell us more about them.

duggaptropicairefrontjy0.jpg

duggaptropicairesidebh8.jpg

duggappanamapw1.jpg

link to Alan's
AlanC said:
I don't know what Art said about the Butte Falls postmaster's mamma, but whatever it was he needs to apologize fast. The Tropic-Aire arrived today--after much pacing by me (and over the last 24 hours by Art)--snug and safe within its box, though, so I don't guess we should complain too much.

After running Art through the mill over the ribbon choice I finally told him just to pick something. Next time I need to remember just to start with Art picking and save everybody trouble; Art got the ribbon just right. And here it is. I apologize for the ugly mug that detracts from the fineness of the hat.

p1010668cf8.jpg

p1010670wi8.jpg

p1010673ys8.jpg

p1010678ee2.jpg

p1010666mm4.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Here's a great thread comparing the weights of various hats.

Thanks for all of that, Lefty! Where's this great thread you're referencing, though?

And I'm also looking to find out more about the physical composition of the Artlite. What does it feel like? How durable is it? Etc.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The photos come from a few different threads. Here are the two threads devoted to Art's light-weights.
one
two
The other photos were pulled from threads devoted to the hats shown.

I remember reading that Art planned to introduce the lites in color, but I'm not sure if that happened. I believe he said that they would weigh just a tiny bit more than the naturals, but I'm not sure on that one.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
All dead animal fur, all the time

I am glad that this thread exists; the next hat that I order might well be a light felt fedora, although I imagine that it will likelier be for Summer of 2010 than this summer. I also might come to live in Philadelphia (I was born in Upper Darby, so it would be almost a homecoming) after I complete my degree and the other possible locations probably have a roughly similar climate, so my considerations will be similar.

Has anyone ever worn one of Optimo's lightweight felt hats or the 2.5 ounce lightweight beaver that Gary White has a limited supply of?

Can anyone describe the feel of a light felt hat versus that of a panama hat in warm or hat weather?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Boy, alot of questions that perhaps I can answer all in one thread but first, I've answered your email Dumbjaw , thanks for pointing this thread out.

OK, Lefty, yes, I have many more colors now in the lightweight felt. Here is my list ( from memory so I hope complete) natural, black, chocolate, granite, dark moss, pecan, midnite blue, silvermist, sahara, powder blue, mojave.

Douglas actually dubbed them "Artlite", not me, but it is discriptive. Deltayre, Gary and I did the featherweight project together so they are the same bodies. They start off as 2.5 oz and end up just a hair under 3oz as finished hats.
Dumbjaw, they are pure beaver, feel like butter, and I can't really give you track record for durability as they haven't been out more than a year but have a great deal of faith in them.

I think that's all the questions to answer for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL