Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Senator Jack's brush with greatness

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Atterbury Dodd said:
"I hate you--you helped ruin what was left of my era."

But seriously, they were loopy. They helped get the young people on the drug culture... I have to admit I kind of liked the Lonely Hearts Club album though.

:eek:fftopic:

I suspect you would've been one of those record burners in the south.

Had you been alive at the time.

"Your era?"? Like the man said, the 1980s?!

It's easy to hate icons: The Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Warhol, Hemingway, etc. Because their contributions have become the warp and weft of culture and society I think dissenters have been inured by the spectacle and fail to just analyze the work for what it is. That is, they can't see the art through the spectacle. Hate The Beatles? It's like saying 'I hate the wheel.'

Regards,

Jack

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
the 80s???

Atterbury Dodd said:
"I hate you--you helped ruin what was left of my era."

But seriously, they were loopy. They helped get the young people on the drug culture... I have to admit I kind of liked the Lonely Hearts Club album though.

Dont worry, The Jonas Brothers will reestablish order your era, the 21st century.
800px-The_Jonas_Brothers_perform_at_the_Kids%27_Inaugural_cropped.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8aASQ-kMY

And BTW, just a little rock &roll history, its widely related that the Beatles did not discover Marijuana. Bob Dylan introduced them to the weed in the USA. God bless America.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
I doubt that anyone throughout the music industry smoked pot more often or more heavily than Louis Armstrong.

Exactly. Drugs are nothing new and weren't in the 1960s.

Cole Porter included at least one reference to cocaine in one of his greatest songs. Cab Calloway sang of cocaine use as well as smoking opium. William Powell got Kay Francis and a small group of others high on pot in JEWEL ROBBERY (1932)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
skyvue said:
William Powell got Kay Francis and a small group of others high on pot in JEWEL ROBBERY (1932)

That scene always blow my mind when I see it on TCM. Crazy!!!

Anyway - my question would be: How could have you let Linda sing? Bad enough you guys let Ringo sing on the White Album.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I ran into Paul and Linda on a London street back in the early 80s while a student there. I got his autograph, but I didn't have my camera with me...and since then that's the reason why I ALWAYS have it with me. BTW, I traded the autograph shortly after with a friend for an authentic Rolls Royce key chain... :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran