Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

September 9th Parade...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
...has an "In Step With" interview with Terrence Howard. Note the suit. I've seen that a number of high profile "with it" types have adopted suits sans ties. I also see a number of homburgs and fedoras, usually with the brim up.

Feraud

Bartender
Terrence Howard looks great.
scan0189.jpg

It looks good on him, even with those aggressive shoulders.

I'm glad to see - and have made the same observations as you - a lot of the 'with it' types getting dressed up. Like in the other Timberlake thread, it may not be the best, and it may not be all correct, but hey, its a suit.

With regard to the ties thing, my theory is that once they get into suits, they get into dress shirts. Once they get into dress shirts, they'll discover ties. At least thats the logic!

Rooster

Practically Family
That suit has a nice vintage look to it, peaked lapels, padded shoulders, not bad. Just needs a tie......

I just saw the suit & accoutrements were Tom Ford. That explains the 'uber-classic' contructed design.

I like what he's doing, at least in the context of the 'fashion' industry. A little more classic in a very spooky Dolce & Gabbana world. Check out the blurb on him in this season's "Menswear" (available at Barnes & Noble, right beside Classic Style!!).

Feraud

Bartender
While browsing the net I found a few pics of a recent Jack Nicholson photoshoot.
Seeing Jack in evening wear, overcoat, walking stick, fedora etc. turned my smile to chagrin as I noticed....

Picture-9web.jpg

Picture-13web.jpg

Picture-3web.jpg

Picture-2web.jpg

Picture-1web.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
I thought you would enjoy this short essay from John Carroll of Carroll & Co.:

Carroll & Co. and the Hollywood Golden Age - 10/10/07

We are often asked the question, “Do any celebrities shop in your store?” The answer is an obvious “Yes”, simply by the fact that we have the preeminent men’s store in the center of Beverly Hills.

But it’s different today than in the days of old Hollywood. Sure, the occasional “A” list actor makes his way through our doors. But few actors today can make a major clothing decision without consulting the newest and one of the most important players on the Hollywood scene – their stylist.

In Hollywood’s Golden era, studios employed costume designers to help dress stars for a night on the town. In the 50’s, the Hollywood Anti-Trust Case forced the studios to change the way they did business, and the costumers were no longer kept on contract. They became free agents, so to speak, and were able to move from studio to studio and project to project as they wished. With no more costumers on the studio payroll, stars were forced to make their own decisions on what to wear. Some failed miserably with this responsibility, but others flourished and today are considered icons of Hollywood style.

Carroll & Co. benefited from this era. My father, Richard Carroll, was a Warner Brothers press agent before venturing out on his own with a small men’s shop on the second floor of a medical building in Beverly Hills. Many of his Warner Brothers friends and associates became customers. Writers, directors, agents, and of course, celebrities found their way to the store. The look was Ivy League with a twist – and the Carroll customer was able to create his own style without having or needing a stylist to validate his personal taste.

Jimmy Stewart chose his own tweed sport coats. The tie as a belt, the ascot and the tie pin slightly askew were signature looks for Fred Astaire. Cary Grant – no one needed to direct him on how to be one of the best dressed men in Hollywood.

I can remember as a young boy watching the Academy Awards and my father telling me each of the stars who was wearing a Carroll tuxedo. Jack Lemmon, Gregory Peck, Billy Wilder, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra – and they all looked terrific. Elegant, understated and clear of having to drop the names of stores or designers who helped put themselves together.

The stylists of today serve a purpose – make the celebrities look great for the red carpet and beyond. And most of them do look great, but the star’s look is not their own. It is manufactured and perfected by an industry of individuals who get paid a lot of money to do so. Was it so terrible that Walter Matthau’s bow tie wasn’t tied perfectly straight? I was never offended.

I understand the differences today. The flourishing celebrity tabloid industry has created an atmosphere where celebrities are crucified for making the slightest fashion faux paux. The paparazzi are always on the prowl and stars have to look their best whether they’re walking out of Hyde or buying produce at Gelsons.

But I firmly believe that Hollywood is losing its individuality. The stars of today and tomorrow need to show their independence and not be afraid to make a fashion mistake. Mr. Astaire, Mr. Grant and Mr. Sinatra did it their way, and they are revered in our fashion industry decades later.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Is that some sort of basting on the other cuff? Maybe it was a shoot at a really luxurious men's clothing store, and he was just trying the suit on.
I'll bet a cookie neither he or any of his "people" noticed that. VERY tacky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats