Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Yep, that was the article -- in this month's Allure (somebody gave me a gift subscription, honest.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if beer scented hair might prove to be an irresistible guy magnet? Not that I dare to try...

Hmmm. Maybe this is how I need to entice the hot man who works on the floor above me?!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've just realized that I can buy it online from Matas which I will in the near future so now I don't have to keep an eye on when the nearest Matas shops have it in stock.:)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Does anyone know where you can buy lottabody in the UK? Found it in a couple of places online, but the postage was exorbitant for my kind of money!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
thanks Fleur, so far I could only see it on ebay available from the states, with yet too expensive a shipping price, but I'll keep looking!

jacqueline101

New in Town
I was wondering if these hair setting lotions are suitable for fine but thick hair.

My hair is fine but i have a ton of it. i like to use rollers my hair wont curl with a curling iron.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
jacqueline101 said:
My hair is fine but i have a ton of it. i like to use rollers my hair wont curl with a curling iron.

It should work just fine. I just wouldn't use copious amounts (like with any product). I guess you could say my hair is like yours--not super thick, but I have a lot, and I use Lottabody. The bottle I bought--undiluted at Sally Beauty--said to dilute to half strength or whatever, but I only put maybe 1/4 cup of water in it and it works fine. What type of rollers are you using?

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I've been using beer as a setting lotion for the past few days. I wash my hair as usual and poor half a can over my head. It smells like beer until it dries. But I tell you...it's been working like mad for my curls the next day. My curls stayed in ALL DAY yesterday.
I've heard two way of using it...either rinsing it out or leaving it in. I leave it in. No beer smell the next day.

I've been keeping a 12 pack in the bathroom. :p

Shirin

A-List Customer
I use Proclaim setting lotion for my pincurls. This one,
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Proclaim-Setting-Lotion/SBS-631060,default,pd.html
I read that a bunch of you ladies had bad experiences with other Proclaim products which I haven't tried, but I wanted to testify that this particular setting lotion (liquid actually) leaves my hair soft, shiny and curly for 3 days. At which time, I wash it out because my hair starts to get oily. But anyway, its cheap, $3.59 for a 32 oz bottle, and it works beautifully. The only thing that I don't like is it will not spray out of ANY bottles like a mist, I guess because the stuff is too heavy for that (I have to comb it in). I have very soft/fine, not thick, straight hair, if you all needed that info.

crwritt

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I have often wondered about the Dippity Do gel. I have seen gallon tubs of it at sally's and wondered if it flaked when dry?

Lotta body and other setting lotions don't work with me... i wanted to try Dippity Do.

Would you use it on your own hair?

We used the pink Dippity Do as kids. My sister and I have thick wavy hair. Mom set it on sponge rollers. We would take turns under the bonnet hair dryer, then sleep with the rollers in. It never flaked, and our hair was pretty for church on sunday.

Inky

One Too Many
crwritt said:
We used the pink Dippity Do as kids. My sister and I have thick wavy hair. Mom set it on sponge rollers. We would take turns under the bonnet hair dryer, then sleep with the rollers in. It never flaked, and our hair was pretty for church on sunday.

oh my gosh, crwritt - you just brought back serious memories for me. I hadn't thought about Dippity Do in DECADES! it really did work, that is true!!

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
I read through all of this, but i'm still not sure what to do if you want to curl...well, curly hair.

I guess the issue is taming it, rather than curling it; making the curls go where i want is the hard part. So far it's been luck of the draw, and about once a month i just happen to wake up with great hair. The rest of the time it's either too frizzy or working towards dread locks.

I tried pin curls the other day, just for fun. They looked nice and ringletey, but clumpy when i took them out. But the moment i tried to brush them out, my hair poufed up to three times the size of my head. Normally i wouldn't dare brush my hair dry (or, as dry as it would get all wrapped up) for the same reason.

Would a setting lotion like Lottabody help the poufing as well as the curling? Is it something else about the process? My hair is about to my "back belly-button" dry - is it too long to style this way? It seems like very long hair was extremely uncommon in the 30/40s, with the notable exception of Veronica Lake.

Sorry if this is all kind of elementary; i've never done anything with my hair before but wash and condition it, and wear it down or in a bun.

Inky

One Too Many
Hi ladybrettashley! most people absolutely freak out when they first take the pin curls (or curlers) out and start brushing because everything initially does get poofy. I have thick, coarse frizzy hair but can still manage a (reasonably) smooth curl. my hair is much shorter than yours though. I have had hair down to past my fanny before and it will be much harder for you to do, but not impossible.

Fleur de Guerre recently did a tutorial on 10 minute 40's hair with hot sticks and even though it may not be the style you are after, it's worth watching because she shows how things look when you first start brushing and how poofy hair gets. The secret to a good style is all in the brush out!

And to actually answer your question, yes, a setting lotion does help keep things smooth, but most of us also use a frizz serum (like Frizz Ease or something of the sort) as well.

edited to add: this might also be useful - the vintage hair live journal "long hair" tag: http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/tag/long+hair

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Oh, thank you, Inky!

Yes, i must admit that there is nothing to make me panic like my hair poofing out. Must be related to growing up with frizzy hair in 100% humidity (when all i really wanted at the time was boy's hair anyhow). I'll have to try it again, and i'll try to persevere this time. ;)

That is a great tutorial, Fleur. I tried to look a few lessons up on youtube for my first attempt, but it's awfully hard to find anything worthwhile without some guidance.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Fleur de Guerre recently did a tutorial on 10 minute 40's hair with hot sticks and even though it may not be the style you are after, it's worth watching because she shows how things look when you first start brushing and how poofy hair gets. The secret to a good style is all in the brush out!

And to actually answer your question, yes, a setting lotion does help keep things smooth, but most of us also use a frizz serum (like Frizz Ease or something of the sort) as well.

Thanks for posting Fleur de Guerre's tutorial, it was really helpful and I've never seen the hot sticks before, I'll have to get some! I usually use sponge curlers but my hair gets so frizzy because I have naturally curly hair so it frizzes when it dries naturally. I haven't used a setting lotion, I just never got around to buying it, it looks like that's what I've been missing.

analiebe

A-List Customer
swinggal said:
Well, my Lottabody arrived form the US yesterday. I'll tell you how it goes. Am trying a wet set this weekend for big dance on Saturday night. Thanks again for the tip gals. :)

hello swinggal... just wondering where you ordered from online.... ( i'm another australian gal frustrated at not being able to get lotta body here)

cheers

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
I ordered my Lottabody on ebay and I am posting a video review today. I am more than pleased...humid wet weather yesterday and my hairstyle took perfectly. The curls were springy and light...easy to brush...no frizz. I had used sponge rollers...haven't tried it w/ pincurls yet. I'm officially a fan!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner