Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

Smuterella

One Too Many
I mix it in an old jam jar and just dip my comb in, the once set spray the hair with a much thinner solution all over

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I mix it in an old jam jar and just dip my comb in, the once set spray the hair with a much thinner solution all over

This works really good for me too, and I also use a tall jam jar, more specifically a St. Dalfour jam jar (and the marmelade is really yummy too!). :D

582168b.jpg

jessicarabbit

New in Town
MissS said:
Oh, yay! I found Lottabody here in Australia! For the ladies downunder in Sydney, you can find it at Fatima's (african hair salon) in Enmore Road, Enmore. Can't wait to give it a try!

thanks MissS! there's an african hair salon in parramatta which might sell it too so I'll report back.

swinggal

One Too Many
Awesome! I've always had to buy it from the US before and postage is a killer. When I was in the US in 2006 I bought heaps home with me. Was quite cheap. Bet it isnt here.

I have found that for it to work the best you must do a total wet set for finger waves and rolls and then dry it overnight or under a hood. I don't water it down as much either so it is stronger. When you brush it our it leaves soft waves and curls.

MissS

A-List Customer
Aussie gals, it was $15 for the 355ml bottle in Newtown. If you can't get your hands on any, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to pick it up and post it to you.

swinggal

One Too Many
It's about $5AUD in the US so the $15 prolly has that included as they had to ship it out. It's worth it though. I got 2 HUGE bottles plus postage a few year back for $40AUD from the US.

jessicarabbit

New in Town
I am in love with this stuff.

I'm wondering if it would work if I did a wet set with velcro rollers in the morning, left it to dry all day and then took it out that night?

Bubble Cheeks

New in Town
OK... I owe you ladies a HUUUUUGE thank you.

I read about Lottabody on here last week (Im a newbie) and I walked over to my local supply store a few blocks away. They had TONS of it, in the regular bottles, as well as these massive gallon JUGS. I bought the regular bottle to try it out.

Here's the thing: I have always had really oily hair and skin. I have had to wash my hair every day, because if I even skipped ONE day... even ONE... it would look like I didn't wash my hair in a WEEK. The strands would clump together in an oily stringy way. So I had to set my hair every night. SO exhausting!

Well, what a fun surprise when I tried the Lottabody. I thought that it would just help hold a curl, which it DID. But the even more wonderful surprise, for me, was that it made my hair softer, and yet much less oily! Suddenly, the day AFTER shampooing, I could run my fingers through my hair, and it would feel like normal hair! Now I can put a sleeping cap on, and sleep with my curls I achieved from pincurling the previous day, without having to set them every night. I can wake up now with styled hair! To not have to shampoo and pin every single night... This is SO exciting for me, you have no idea. (Unless you do). ;)

It dried out the oil without drying out my hair. Actually, my hair feels softer! I've been to a doctor for this problem before, who just put me on a special diet that did little to nothing for my oily skin. But just a little bit of Lottabody worked WONDERS! Thank goodness I can find it a short walk away from my front door. And thank goodness for all of you ladies! It's been under my nose at my local beauty supply store that I shop in all of the time, and I just never noticed it there because I never heard about it before!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
How do you "manage" your lottabody? It seems to spurt out of the spray bottle, and I've tried several. Right now its shelved because I have no idea how to avoid wearing it everywhere but my hair!

I keep it in a jar. I don't dip my comb in, though, because I find that puts too much lotion in my hair and it gets flakey. I just dip my fingers in and then spread it through the piece of hair I'm rolling at that moment. I add a little pomade for shine, and then comb it through with a fine-toothed comb.

Also, combing through til the piece of hair is taut is called "ribboning" and it's supposed to help you get a better curl.

Tatum

Practically Family
Bubble Cheeks said:
To not have to shampoo and pin every single night... This is SO exciting for me, you have no idea. (Unless you do). ;)

I know the feeling too! No more greasy hair. Wonderful, isn't it? :D

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
lyburnum said:
I make my own setting lotion with flax seed. Time consuming but I prefer it to using store bought stuff, as I've also tried a couple of setting lotions from Boots. My Mum keeps eating my flaxseed though :mad:

How ironic! I work at a veterans' home and I was talking to one of the residents today about pincurl and fingerwave sets, as well as setting lotions. She was a beautician during the Golden Era (she's 92!) and was telling me how she used to make a paste from flax seeds. I found a recipe here:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/flax-seeds-body-scrub-hair-gel.html

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also love the Lottabody

I just bought some, and it's fabulous. I haven't actually done a set with it yet, but just put some on my hair after washing it and let it dry (I have curly hair) and it enhances the curl a bit, and keeps it in! For days! And even thought I have dry hair, it did nothing noticeable in the way of drying it out - it feels great. I hope to attempt a true pincurl set this weekend.
And I have mine in an old jam jar too, but with an art deco Waving Lotion label pasted on it... the label started me on the quest for the lotion!

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Tried Lottabody for the first time

...and I have an observation or two...

I mainly did pincurls, and found that the Lottabody made my hair much more slippery to deal with. Which made forming the curls and pinning them down a more, uh, interesting challenge than using the mousse/hairspray combo I used before.

So is the slipperiness something that's the usual? Btw, I went 50/50 on the Lottabody/water ratio. I also ended up using twice the amount of pins that I needed before. Argh!

I left in the pins overnight and my hair is definitely curly today! Luckily I used a wide-tooth comb which has cut down on the frizz when combing everything out. I concur on everyone else's comments about how soft the Lottabody makes the hair!

I won't get to test how durable the curls are until later today when I go to roller derby practice. That should be fun!

RD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Red Diabla said:
I won't get to test how durable the curls are until later today when I go to roller derby practice. That should be fun!

Doesn't really matter what you use on your hair - it will not stand up to a sweaty skate helmet.

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
I have bought Lottabody two days ago and I just set it in pin curls... Im excited to see what all the jazz about setting lotion is, I never even heard of it until I read this thread... Im excited to see if it works better than my usual mouse and hairspray.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
BombshellBella said:
I have bought Lottabody two days ago and I just set it in pin curls... Im excited to see what all the jazz about setting lotion is, I never even heard of it until I read this thread... Im excited to see if it works better than my usual mouse and hairspray.

And the results are..? :)

The one time I've used the setting lotion, my hair didn't get dry enough, so I had to supplement with a curling iron. Since then due to time constraints I've used mousse/gel/hairspray/curling iron combo. Doesn't keep the curl like I see the other ladies here do! I'm jealous, but in the best possible way. :D

RD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Setting Lotion on Dry Hair?

Has anyone ever tried using Lottabody with a curling iron or hot roller set?

BTW, I just used Lottabody on my mom's hair. It looked good and her hair felt soft--not sticky or stiff at all. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner