Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Have you tried setting your hair wet with NO setting lotion? Some people don't need it. here is a short explanation....When the hair is wet (as in, after a shampoo), the side binds are broken and you can form your curl, (pin curl, roller set, etc). What re shapes it, is when it dries completely. It has new bonds formed. It helps even more if you dry it with heat and then it cools. but you don't always need to use setting lotion. Lately, I've been setting my hair with nothing and I can keep the curl going for over a week, just by re curling it at night before bed.

It may be worth the try, especially if you have trouble hair in a state you now prefer.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Okay, this is how you know you spend too much time in the Beauty forum:

I had a dream about setting lotion last night! I dreamt about a vintage brand being shown on television and I was so excited, I ran around telling my husband, "I have to try that setting lotion!" Good grief, I need to get out more.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lola Getz said:
Okay, this is how you know you spend too much time in the Beauty forum:

I had a dream about setting lotion last night! I dreamt about a vintage brand being shown on television and I was so excited, I ran around telling my husband, "I have to try that setting lotion!" Good grief, I need to get out more.

lol lol lol
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that this happens too...lol

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
Have you tried setting your hair wet with NO setting lotion? Some people don't need it. here is a short explanation....When the hair is wet (as in, after a shampoo), the side binds are broken and you can form your curl, (pin curl, roller set, etc). What re shapes it, is when it dries completely. It has new bonds formed. It helps even more if you dry it with heat and then it cools. but you don't always need to use setting lotion. Lately, I've been setting my hair with nothing and I can keep the curl going for over a week, just by re curling it at night before bed.

It may be worth the try, especially if you have trouble hair in a state you now prefer.

Oh, good point! Thank you for that info. I'll try that soon, see if it works! (Red, your advice is always so valuable. I'm so glad to have met you on FL.) And Josephine, thank you for the aloe vera advice! I may dip into that if my hair is still too unruly.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
sweetfrancaise said:
Oh, good point! Thank you for that info. I'll try that soon, see if it works! (Red, your advice is always so valuable. I'm so glad to have met you on FL.) And Josephine, thank you for the aloe vera advice! I may dip into that if my hair is still too unruly.

Sweet Francaise, You are most welcome! And I feel the same about you and many others on this board! I'll be interested to see how your trials go! And that was a great idea with the Aloe Vera, Josephine!, I have seen that in the styling section before and have been curious about it. Sweet Francaise, I hope it turns out well for you!:D

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Well, I know that I NEED a styling product, or else any waves will have hung out after a few hours... but setting lotion seems to be better for your hair than styling gel or hairspray, I just don't know if I am right?

Would be great if a hairstyle lasta 1-3 days with it!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I don't know for sure, but I think they are all one in the same when it comes down it. Just different strengths, for different hold. I used Dippity Do gel on my mannequin head for waves and curls, and it holds stiff as can be, but at the same time, brushes out with no flakes, and still looks nice. I really think it is more about which product does best for it's job. The only way you find out is trial and error. I hope you find something that works best for you! :D

D

Deleted member 3716

for anyone in the UK/Ireland:

i bought a cheapo Boots own brand thingy last week, it's simply called "styling spray" i think,it's in a clear plastic bottle with a blue liquid that looks a bit like a dodgy alcho-pop.
i washed my hair tuesday night,blow dried it to about 90% dry,then set it in sponge rollers overnight, spraying each section and combing it through.
my sets usually last about 3 hours, but its thursday now and my hair looks even better than yesterday, and withstood my incredibly sweaty first swing lesson last night!
the way it's looking, i reckon i would get another day out of the set.
i have greasy hair and usually need to wash my hair every day, but this miracle liquid seems to have dried my hair out and held the curl wonderfully.
plus, it cost about €1.50!

p x

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
My hair can last three days without a setting lotion. I just bought one to try. (Lotta Body) We shall see what happens!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
paula said:

i bought a cheapo Boots own brand thingy last week, it's simply called "styling spray" i think,it's in a clear plastic bottle with a blue liquid that looks a bit like a dodgy alcho-pop.
i washed my hair tuesday night,blow dried it to about 90% dry,then set it in sponge rollers overnight, spraying each section and combing it through.
my sets usually last about 3 hours, but its thursday now and my hair looks even better than yesterday, and withstood my incredibly sweaty first swing lesson last night!
i have greasy hair and usually need to wash my hair every day, but this miracle liquid seems to have dried my hair out and held the curl wonderfully.

p x

Oooh thankyou for that, good thing I'm going shopping on Saturday!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
I don't know for sure, but I think they are all one in the same when it comes down it. Just different strengths, for different hold. I used Dippity Do gel on my mannequin head for waves and curls, and it holds stiff as can be, but at the same time, brushes out with no flakes, and still looks nice. I really think it is more about which product does best for it's job. The only way you find out is trial and error. I hope you find something that works best for you! :D

I have often wondered about the Dippity Do gel. I have seen gallon tubs of it at sally's and wondered if it flaked when dry?

Lotta body and other setting lotions don't work with me... i wanted to try Dippity Do.

Would you use it on your own hair?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I have often wondered about the Dippity Do gel. I have seen gallon tubs of it at sally's and wondered if it flaked when dry?

Lotta body and other setting lotions don't work with me... i wanted to try Dippity Do.

Would you use it on your own hair?

Yes I would. In fact, just last weekend, I did a wet pincurl set, not with Dippity Do, but with Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. Her hair was quite soft after I took out the curls and brushed it. It works nicely. I have a thing about colored gels... I will use them on dark hair, not on light hair. It probably doesn't make a difference, but just to be on the safe side.. (in my head:rolleyes: ) And for waves, that brown protein gel is a must! (on dark hair...still the whole thing about color)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
Yes I would. In fact, just last weekend, I did a wet pincurl set, not with Dippity Do, but with Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. Her hair was quite soft after I took out the curls and brushed it. It works nicely. I have a thing about colored gels... I will use them on dark hair, not on light hair. It probably doesn't make a difference, but just to be on the safe side.. (in my head:rolleyes: ) And for waves, that brown protein gel is a must! (on dark hair...still the whole thing about color)

Ironically I have some of that Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. It makes hair very shiny.

I just didn't think it has any staying power. If Dippity Do holds like mortar, I am all over it.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Ironically I have some of that Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. It makes hair very shiny.

I just didn't think it has any staying power. If Dippity Do holds like mortar, I am all over it.

I used quite a bit.. but no kidding, I did waves and spit curls, then air dried... it stuck like glue. (yet brushed out easily when I finally gave it a go;) ) Damn, I should have taken a picture:rolleyes: ..

Smuterella

One Too Many
paula said:

p x

I have this and its working!

Aorta

Familiar Face
Tomorrow, I'll head for a beauty supply store. I don't know if the Lottabody lotion is available in Germany. What would be an appropriate alternative? I have fine, stick-straight hair and I would like to have a lotion that works well for pin curls and hot rollers. Any recommendations, ladies?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Aorta said:
Tomorrow, I'll head for a beauty supply store. I don't know if I the Lottabody lotion is available in Germany. What would be an appropriate alternative? I have fine, stick-straight hair and I would like to have a lotion that works well for pin curls and hot rollers. Any recommendations, ladies?

You can get it in Afro-shops. And if there´s none near you you can still go to www.afroshop.org That´s where I got mine (Beware: Shipping is almost as much as the item itself). Welcome on board fellow-German!

Aorta

Familiar Face
Ah, thank you, Sari. Fortunately, there are several afro-shops in Stuttgart, so I should get the lotion :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner