Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

Lou-Lou

New in Town
For those of you who don't have really long hair I have to share my love for real thin hair-nets. They are just perfect to use, as they prevent those darn "loose-ends" as well as frizz, and prevents the curls from straighten up between settings. An extra plus is that a net is so thin that it doesn't show on the hair! Love it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lou-Lou said:
For those of you who don't have really long hair I have to share my love for real thin hair-nets. They are just perfect to use, as they prevent those darn "loose-ends" as well as frizz, and prevents the curls from straighten up between settings. An extra plus is that a net is so thin that it doesn't show on the hair! Love it!

is there a particular brand you use? do you use the ones with the elastic edging or the pin-in edging? i've looked at hairnets before and want to be able to use them. the problem is that i have platinum and black hair - so it's pretty impossible to get the right color of hairnet :-/

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, I wish I had read this entire thread before I tried out pin curls last night. I did them once before with just styling gel, but I wanted to try that Lottabody out. Anyway, long story short, my hair was still seriously wet this morning and I still had to get ready for church. Next time I gotta use barely wet hair. I ended up straight-ironing my normally very wavy hair and I gotta tell ya'll, this stuff is great and keeping hair straight, my hair normally gets the frizzies and starts to wave within a few hours of straight ironing, no matter what products I use, but my hair is still straight more than 12 hours later. This is like, masively great.

Emblaze

Familiar Face
With setting lotion, is the idea to gently spritz the sections of hair for pincurling, or to drench the crap out of them? I can't get my curls to last very long.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think it depends on how long you have to let your hair dry. I think the very best lasting sets would go from completely soaked to bonedry, but for me that would take days, but it might actually not get completely dry ever! Nothing worse than taking out your set and it all going limp and falling out due to it still being damp!

I just spritz dry hair and it works fine that way for me - but I have pretty long hair (past my bra strap) so any more than means I may as well not have bothered!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Emblaze said:
With setting lotion, is the idea to gently spritz the sections of hair for pincurling, or to drench the crap out of them? I can't get my curls to last very long.

I use only a very small amount of setting lotion--perhaps a dime-sized amount, combed throughout my hair. When starting with freshly-washed hair, I wait until it is almost dry, and then comb the setting lotion through. With dry hair, I pat it with water to dampen and reactivate the setting lotion and re-curl the hair.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I find my fine, straight shoulder length hair holds better if I drench it in setting lotion when my hair is really wet (after wrapping in towel for a few minutes after washing) and then set it with sponge rollers.

I try to do it early evening and then sleep on it. Sometimes I sit under a hood hairdryer for about an hour and a half if I have to do it the day I am going out and leave them in as long as possible. I take out the rollers and let the hair rest a bit before brushing/combing. I find using lots of smaller rollers works better too as it drys quicker that way. Also I do it to look very 30s so tight curls are what I am after and more rollers works for that. I always sleep with a hair net over the curlers so they can't fall out.

What a lucky boy my boyfriend is to see me in that state!

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
I usually drench my hair with setting lotion and put them into pincurls. I wrap a silk scarf around my head and its sleepy time. Then the next night i put the scarf back on and that helps my curls last longer. I can usually get 3 days out of my curls. By the 3rd day i have it pinned back in the front.

But really the scarf trick has helped my curls look really good the next day after..they're less frizzy.

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
I bought a bottle of Wella a while ago and I really want to try lottabody.
Before i was just putting my hair in pincurls and i used leave in cond. My hair curled great and then with the Wella it seems to last a little bit longer... so imagine what my hair would do with lottabody!:eek:

Lou-Lou

New in Town
KittyT said:
is there a particular brand you use? do you use the ones with the elastic edging or the pin-in edging? i've looked at hairnets before and want to be able to use them. the problem is that i have platinum and black hair - so it's pretty impossible to get the right color of hairnet :-/

Oh! Must have missed your reply. I use nets with very thin elastic ending, although I found unused from the 30's with pin-in that I haven't tried yet. The brand is somewhat strange "Zenner beauty accessories" - unfurtunately enough the store I bought them from just closed down...Well, good look in finding a net that suits you! Maybe a transparent would do?

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Emblaze said:

i have found that after i have put it in rollers or pin curls, if i put on some toni and guy iron in heat defence spray, it seems keep the curls locked in for 3 days. also, after i take my scarf off in the morning and unpin my hair, the curls are ridiculously soft and smooth with no frizz whatsoever.
make sure you spray it on again after you've styled it, smooth out any imperfection or frizz. leave it for 5 mins to dry and then add your hairspray. it holds quite tight.

i've had to experiment as i have not been able to find setting sprays in shops in the uk.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
sophia la shok said:
i have found that after i have put it in rollers or pin curls, if i put on some toni and guy iron in heat defence spray, it seems keep the curls locked in for 3 days. also, after i take my scarf off in the morning and unpin my hair, the curls are ridiculously soft and smooth with no frizz whatsoever.
make sure you spray it on again after you've styled it, smooth out any imperfection or frizz. leave it for 5 mins to dry and then add your hairspray. it holds quite tight.

i've had to experiment as i have not been able to find setting sprays in shops in the uk.

Boots and Superdrugs sell setting lotion (both their own brands and Wella) but I have tried the Wella extra strong one and it was pretty useless. I got a bottle of Revlon's Lottabody (purple) on Ebay which I've heard good things about on here and it seems to work great! Some people dilute it, some don't; I definitely needed to as the curls were far too crunchy for my liking without water added. I have got very straight long hair which doesn't curl very well and Lottabody set overnight is the only way I can have curls. It cost about £7 but the bottle is huge and will last you a long time!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
SarahB said:
Boots and Superdrugs sell setting lotion (both their own brands and Wella) but I have tried the Wella extra strong one and it was pretty useless. I got a bottle of Revlon's Lottabody (purple) on Ebay which I've heard good things about on here and it seems to work great! Some people dilute it, some don't; I definitely needed to as the curls were far too crunchy for my liking without water added. I have got very straight long hair which doesn't curl very well and Lottabody set overnight is the only way I can have curls. It cost about £7 but the bottle is huge and will last you a long time!

thanks, chick!
i shall most definately be getting some of that. bring on pay day!
;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SarahB said:
useless. I got a bottle of Revlon's Lottabody (purple) on Ebay which I've heard good things about on here and it seems to work great! Some people dilute it, some don't; I definitely needed to as the curls were far too crunchy for my liking without water added.

Really? I use Lottabody undiluted and have no crunch. It might help to mix it with a bit of pomade when setting your hair! It also adds shine and prevents frizz.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I bought Lottabody awhile back & it doesn't seem to do anything much. Queen Helene has a detangler/leave-in conditioner that always gave me great curls that held & were shiney & not frizzy at all.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Emblaze said:

A little late on the reply for this, but I'll go for it anyway. I use lottabody, the purple kind, undiluted on barely damp hair. I spray some on the section I'm curling, rather than spraying my entire head first, for when applied to dry hair the setting lotion dries rather fast. So, I take a section of barely damp hair, add some shine serum to it, particularly the ends to prevent kinks, then I douse the section with the setting lotion and roll. If I have the patience I'll use end papers, but the shine serum seems to do fine at preventing that annoying end frizzyness. Once all rolled, I'll spray a bit more setting lotion all over, just to dampen it a bit more, as it does seem to dry out quickly. Then I'll give a spray of shine spray and hair spray. My hair takes a while to dry, and if I put my hair in curlers while it was totally wet it would never be dry in the morning. But using this method, my hair is completely dry by the morning and very soft once I gently brush out the curls.
I've tried quite a few different setting lotions. I'm using the lottabody right now, but that's because I have so much of it. But once I'm out I think I will go back to using the Queen Helen. It seems to give me longer lasting curls, and is less drying to my hair. Either way, I don't dilute. I never got long enough lasting curls when I diluted.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Really? I use Lottabody undiluted and have no crunch. It might help to mix it with a bit of pomade when setting your hair! It also adds shine and prevents frizz.

Yep, if I use it undiluted I am left with hard, stiff, crunchy curls which don't look too good! With curling it's all about experimenting and seeing what works best for you; what works for somebody else might not work for you. I don't know if this has been mentioned but Pantene perfect curl gel spray is quite good. It gives me nice soft curls but they drop out by the evening, unlike Lottabody. This product might work better for somebody who has hair that curls quite easily but I still use it now and again as I find using Lottabody too often dries my hair.

GILDA

I think a good "setting" is like hairdressing....you know VO5 Hairdressing and Vitapointe. They give hold and shine. They can make your hair greasy if your heavy handed. Start with a small amount, the ingredients are like mineral oil, beeswax, petroleum, stuff like that. So be easy with it. But it holds my curls, keeps my ends tidy and gives nice shine. Its cheap, been around for years, and you can find it anywhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21