Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

Spinkitten

New in Town
glamgirl said:
Hi Spinkitten

I have found a couple of places in AS that you can get setting lotion. I have not yet used it myself but have found the info. The brand I have found is Kusco Murphy and advertises as: Acts as a volumiser to add strength and shine, Brushes out easily, Delivers strong hold for hot rollers and blow wave setters, Does not leave build up, Setting Lotion is suitable for all types. It costs AU $12.95 (300g) with free shipping from www.haircareonline.com.au You can also get the same product at www.adorebeauty.com.au but it's $17.95 not sure about postage but why would you pay more anyway?! :p I'll keep looking for more (cos I need some as well). Where abouts in AS are you?

Glamgirl your a superstar!!! I am in country Vic, I have been looking unsuccessfully for a while now just not the last 24 monthsish I have been off the scene so haven't needed it. those gals in Hairhouse Warehouse told me no such thing existed lol and they are meant to be trained hairdressers :eek:

Where are you ????

glamgirl

New in Town
I grew up in country Vic!! That's awesome. Love it down there. I'm in Sydney at the moment. No where near as pretty as your part of the world. I find that if you are wanting hair products/accessories for classic hairstyles that you generally have to ask an older sales person as the younger ones just have no idea. Not saying all of them don't know but majority rules

Spinkitten

New in Town
glamgirl said:
I grew up in country Vic!! That's awesome. Love it down there. I'm in Sydney at the moment. No where near as pretty as your part of the world. I find that if you are wanting hair products/accessories for classic hairstyles that you generally have to ask an older sales person as the younger ones just have no idea. Not saying all of them don't know but majority rules

AWESOME .. where abouts??? I now live in South Gippsland. Sydney is not soo bad ;) S Patrol are up there now so there is swing dancing, there are some fabulous vintage shops stocking virtually untouched swing gear coz swing is relatively new up there. I bought a stunning 1940's over coat from The Rocks ... it is my most prized article which is pretty lucky becoz most of the vintage stuff is tiny and I am not so little lol

glamgirl

New in Town
I originally lived near the Dandenong Ranges, we could hear Puffing Billy from our house. Then we moved to Echuca when I was in Year 9. My aunts and uncles used to live in Sth Gippsland. This is so funny!

I'll have to do my research on some more vintage stores in Sydney but I'll sure go and check out that little store in the Rocks. Do you remember the name? I'm currently trying to convince the other half to start taking swing lessons with me. Have been doing some research on that too and Swing Patrol was the one that I liked the look of most. Wow. This is uncanny

Spinkitten

New in Town
lol it is isn't it ... it never ceases to amaze me just how small this world is. S Patrol are a great bunch and souces tell me that one of the very talented Melb guys is heading up your way !!! Try to get your boy into it ... particularly if he loves all the old stuff too!

Echuca is fantasic I love it up there so much warmer than down south here lol Our house gets so cold that everything feels damp, I can't wait to finally get a new roof and insulation :eek:fftopic:

Syd has a great new Swing Scene ... I came up a couple of years ago it was cool to see it in its budding stage. I think the name of that shop was called Rocket ... this is going back to June of 04, I believe it has moved but if your in that general vacinity pop into the big brick building I know there are lots of big brick buildings but this one kind of stands out from the rest and have a looksee, it was near a glass/pottery shop from memory

Spinkitten

New in Town
oh forgot to mention ... Hubby and I got married in Kallista in July ... Dandenongs are spectacular especially with that misty rain in Winter

TheLovelyLolly

New in Town
Hey there gals!! (oooh!! first post!!) I'm from Sydney too!! .........And I grew up in St.Arnaud in Victoria!!

Try King St Newtown for vinatge as there is a bit of a vintage shopping precinct there. Retrospecd at 486 King St is great!!

And my hair setting tip is that I've moved to a curling wand rather than wet-setting. (My hair is quite thick and it takes all day to set otherwise) So now I use Swarzkopf TAFT Curl-defining mousse (About $6 from the supermarket) and matching hairspray. It holds a great curl (even after a night of dancing in the Sydeny humidity) and doesn't seem to dry stiff at all!!

glamgirl

New in Town
they're both gorgeous parts of our country. I do miss it when I think about my childhood and growing up. It certainly would've made for some beautiful photography for your wedding. Congrats!! :eusa_clap

I'll be sure to try and track down that store in the Rocks (among lots of others too). thanks for the info.

LovelyLolly, congrats on your first post and welcome. Thanks for the address of that shop in Newtown. I'm going to have so much fun checking out all these little shops. Oooh, just hope the bank account can handle it.... lol

Spinkitten

New in Town
Thanks Glamgirl,

Welcome TheLovelyLolly, I highly recommend Newtown too, I was in Syd in 2004 for a R'nR comp and we stayed around that area and there are some totally AWESOME shops there.

HEY back on topic, I found this stuff in the supermarket it is not a proper setting lotion BUT Hubbys big band had a gig last night and it was themed 1940's so I got dolled up, I used that stuff that I found that I can't remember the name of with a touch of mousse and a very light spray of hairspray and set my hair in pin curls the day before (same problem as you TLL) and it turned out the best it ever has.

I took some piccies and will have to get them on here when I get home from work tonight.:eusa_clap

glamgirl

New in Town
Spinkitten said:
Thanks Glamgirl,

Welcome TheLovelyLolly, I highly recommend Newtown too, I was in Syd in 2004 for a R'nR comp and we stayed around that area and there are some totally AWESOME shops there.

HEY back on topic, I found this stuff in the supermarket it is not a proper setting lotion BUT Hubbys big band had a gig last night and it was themed 1940's so I got dolled up, I used that stuff that I found that I can't remember the name of with a touch of mousse and a very light spray of hairspray and set my hair in pin curls the day before (same problem as you TLL) and it turned out the best it ever has.

I took some piccies and will have to get them on here when I get home from work tonight.:eusa_clap
Have you got your pics done yet? would love to see them. it seems like forever since I posted here. The nasty so-n-so computer geeks have banned me from accessing this site at work so now I have to fight the other half to get some time on the home computer. Hope your event went really well spinkitten. Can't wait to see your photos. Can you remember the name of the hair stuff you bought?

TheLovelyLolly

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, Girls.
Yep, I'm interested in the name of that setting lotion too!! Might just give it another try!! Did you saturate your hair with it or just a light mist? Was your hair damp or wet to start with? Dying to see pics of the end result!!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wanted to revive this thread - how DO you ladies apply your Lotta Body? I just bought my first bottle and mixed it with water in a (vintage - tee hee) dish, but I have a perfectly useable spray bottle I might have used instead.

And what concentrations do you use?

KatieD

New in Town
After nearly 15 years of blasting my hair with hairspray and hot rollers for evenings out, I started pin curling (frazzling your hair once a week is okay, but every day would kill it). I tried several mousses etc then decided to try a setting lotion.

What do you know? Granny does know best! The hold is so much better and it doesn't leave your hair crunchy. Why did I leave it so long?!

Being based in a little English village I'm lucky enough to have a little chemist down the road that still caters for the shampoo and set brigade... and me! I just pour a little into my hand and comb through damp to wet hair before pin curling.

Just grab the nearest firm control setting lotion you see - I'm sure you'll be far more impressed than when using modern products.

Katie

GOK

One Too Many
I have agree with Katie - you really can't beat the old fashioned approach! I put mine into a pump dispenser and spray it onto damp hair then comb it through. After putting in all the curlers, I give it another spray all over.

Works a treat! :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
setting lotion question...

hey girls, I know there are like a million threads on pincurling. Believe me, I've read all of them (hell, I've even printed out most of them and highlighted parts of some of them), but there is a question I have that I haven't seen addressed.

I've been using setting lotion for awhile with the Wrap, Snap and Go rollers (that are like rag curlers, but with foam inside) and tried setting pincurls for the first time last night. I'm surprised at how well they turned out, but it took me almost as long to brush them out as it took me to roll them! Does setting lotion always make your hair so crunchy and rock hard? I've always had this problem, but with the tight pincurls, it's next to impossible to brush out. I ended up having to rip my brush through some of my hair and I have highly processed hair that is prone to breakage, so obviously this isn't ideal. I have my lotion in a spray bottle and am using a spritz or two per curl on dampened hair.

My hair looked pretty awful until I just decided to push it all together and back away from my face with a headband. A few hours into the day, the ends in the back have gotten pretty frizzy (partially from the brushing through rock solid curls), but maybe I an help prevent that in the future by using Jitterbugdoll's recommendation of mixing gel and pomade.

pincurls-back.jpg

pincurls-side2.jpg

pincurls-side.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I don't find that setting lotion makes my hair hard or crunchy, but I have recently noticed that if I don't use the right conditioner on my hair when I wash it, it becomes very dry/crunchy-feeling as it dries, with or without setting. I then have to work some sort of styling lotion/cream through my hair to help soften this effect (and find that my sets do not take as well and end up looking dry/frizzy.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ladies,

I just combined this thread with the other Setting Lotion thread...Hopefully this will give folks the bigger picture on setting lotions seperate from the 'how to mechanics of pin curling and waving'.

With Beauty spun off...(sort of like a sit com but not exactly), there is a bit more leeway in having specific topics like a setting lotion thread.
Since its not about -how- to pin curl or the rolling technique, making someone wade through the longer 'how to' is not needed.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ